- What does 100 calories look like? – Eat well
- Comparing energy values: a visual guide
- Apples (385 grams / 13.5 oz)
- Butter (28 grams / 0.98 oz)
- Broccoli (588 grams / 20.7 oz)
- Snickers Chocolate Bar (41 grams / 1.45 oz)
- Cooked Pasta (145 grams / 5.11 oz)
- Hot Dogs (66 grams / 2.33 oz)
- Kiwi Fruit (328 grams / 11.6 oz)
- Jack in the Box Cheeseburger (75 grams / 2.6 oz)
- Eggs (150 grams / 5.3 oz)
- Celery (1425 grams / 50.3 oz)
- Blackberry Pie (56 grams / 1.97 oz)
- Mini Peppers (740 grams / 26.1 oz)
- Canned Black Beans (186 grams / 6.56 oz)
- Werther’s Originals Candy (50 grams / 1.76 oz)
- Jack in the Box Chicken Sandwich (72 grams / 2.5 oz)
- Glazed Doughnut (52 grams / 1.8 oz)
- French Sandwich Roll (72 grams / 2.5 oz)
- Avocado (125 grams / 4.4 oz)
- Canned Sweet Corn (308 grams / 10.9 oz)
- Baby Carrots (570 gram / 20.1 oz)
- Canned Green Peas (357 grams / 12.6 oz)
- Canned Pork and Beans (186 grams / 6.56 oz)
- Doritos (41 grams / 1.44 oz)
- Dried Apricots (83 grams / 2.9 oz)
- Jack in the Box French Fries (73 grams / 2.6 oz)
- Fried Bacon (34 grams / 1.2 oz)
- Fruit Loops Cereal (51 grams / 1.8 oz)
- Grapes (290 grams / 10.2 oz)
- Splenda Artifical Sweetener (50 grams / 1.8 oz)
- Gummy Bears (51 grams / 1.8 oz)
- Hershey Kisses (36 grams / 1.27 oz)
- Honeydew Melon (553 grams / 19.5 oz)
- Jelly Belly Jelly Beans (54 grams / 1.9 oz)
- Ketchup (226 grams / 7.97 oz)
- M&M Candy (40 grams / 1.4 oz)
- Red Onions (475 grams / 16.75 oz)
- Sliced Smoked Turkey (204 grams / 7.2 oz)
- Coca Cola (496 ml / 16.77 oz)
- Canola Oil (23 grams / 0.8 oz)
- Smarties Candy (57 grams / 2 oz)
- Tootsie Pops (68 grams / 2.4 oz)
- Whole Milk (333 ml / 11.3 fl oz)
- Balsamic Vinegar (200 ml / 6.8 fl oz)
- Lowfat Strawberry Yogurt (196 grams / 6.9 oz)
- Canned Chili con Carne (189 grams / 6.7 oz)
- Canned Tuna Packed in Oil (102 grams / 3.6 oz)
- Fiber One Cereal (100 grams / 3.5 oz)
- Flax Bread (90 grams / 3.17 oz)
- Blueberry Muffin (72 grams / 2.5 oz)
- Bailey’s Irish Cream (60 ml / 2.02 fl oz)
- Cranberry Vanilla Crunch Cereal (55 grams / 1.9 oz)
- Cornmeal (55 grams / 1.94 oz)
- Wheat Flour (55 grams / 1.94 oz)
- Peanut Butter Power Bar (54 grams / 1.9 oz)
- Puffed Rice Cereal (54 grams / 1.9 oz)
- Puffed Wheat Cereal (53 grams / 1.87 oz)
- Brown Sugar (53 grams / 1.87 oz)
- Salted Pretzels (52 grams / 1.83 oz)
- Medium Cheddar Cheese (51 grams / 1.8 oz)
- Potato Chips (37 grams / 1.3oz)
- Sliced and Toasted Almonds (35 grams / 1.23 oz)
- Peanut Butter (34 grams / 1.2 oz)
- Salted Mixed Nuts (33 grams / 1.16 oz)
- Revealed: What 200 calories looks like in different foods ¿ and the results are very surprising
- 20 ‘zero-calorie’ foods to snack on guilt-free
- A dietitian’s photo of the same dishes with different calories will show you how to build a healthier meal
- Eliminate fatty dressings and excess protein to build a healthy, filling salad.
- Pay attention to the amount of healthy fats from foods like avocados.
- Measure portion sizes to cut calories without changing what you eat.
- Limit portions of calorie-dense foods, such as dried fruit.
- Eliminate cooking oil to gets rid of calories you might not have even considered.
- Use a 50:50 ratio of vegetables and wheat-products to slash calories without compromising the taste.
- Substitute veggies for wheat products.
- Ditch starchy carbs altogether.
- Use smaller portions of starches.
- Bulk up your meal by adding more non-starchy veggies.
- What calories look like in different foods
What does 100 calories look like?
Comparing energy values: a visual guide
This guide shows energy values for 10 different foods. This will help you visualise what 100kcal (420kJ) looks like and manage the number of calories you consume.
This amount, 100kcal, represents just 5% of a woman’s daily reference intake (4% for men), but this quickly adds up when adding ingredients during cooking or when we reach for a snack.
High-fat foods have more energy because fat contains more than double the calories per gram compared with protein and carbohydrates.
Foods containing mainly water, such as vegetables, have even less.
This guide shows how quickly calories can add up in certain foods.
Some of the photos have household objects, such as a pack of cards, to help illustrate the size.
Calories in oil, mayonnaise and butter
All types of fat are high in energy. A gram of fat provides 9kcal, compared with 4kcal for carbohydrate and protein.
Oil and butter are almost pure fat, which is why 420kJ/100kcal is:
- just a little over 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 level tablespoon of mayonnaise
- just under 1 tablespoon of butter (a thick spread of butter on your bread)
A 100-calorie portion of olive oilA 100-calorie portion of mayonnaiseA 100-calorie portion of butter
Calories in cheese
Most cheese is high in fat, so 420kJ/100kcal is just under a 30g matchbox-sized piece of cheddar cheese.
A 100-calorie portion of cheddar
Calories in sugar
Calories in sugar can add up if not used sparingly, especially for people who drink tea or coffee with sugar throughout the day. Four heaped teaspoons of sugar is 420kJ/100kcal.
A 100-calorie portion of sugar
Find out how sugar affects your health
Calories in biscuits
A lot of biscuits are high in fat and sugar and low in nutrients, so 2 ginger nut biscuits add up to 420kJ/100kcal.
Other biscuits may be higher in energy, such as those covered in or filled with chocolate.
A 100-calorie portion of ginger nut biscuits
Calories in crisps
Crisps, which are often high in fat and salt, can quickly add up to 420kJ/100kcal.
For example, the 190g tube of crisps featured in this picture contains nearly 1,000 calories, so just 10% of a tube (9 crisps) equals 420kJ/100kcal.
A 100-calorie portion of crisps
Calories in meat and fish
The kind of meat you eat could make a big difference to the amount of energy you consume.
For example, this is what 100kcal of steak looks like:
A 100-calorie portion of steak
On the other hand, turkey and fish are both low in fat and lower in energy, so 420kJ/100kcal is about 3 slices of turkey or a few spoonfuls of plain large prawns.
A 100-calorie portion of turkey A 100-calorie portion of prawns
Calories in dried fruit
For 420kJ/100kcal, you’ll get just over a 30g portion of raisins.
A 30g serving of dried fruit counts as 1 of your 5 A Day, whereas an 80g serving of fresh fruit, such as grapes or cherries, counts as 1 of your 5 A Day.
100-calorie portions of cherries, grapes and raisins
Calories in fresh fruit
For 420kJ/100kcal, you can tuck into any of the following:
- a large apple
- a banana
- 1.5 grapefruit
100-calorie portions of fresh fruit
These all count towards your 5 A Day, which should include a variety of fruit and vegetables.
Calories in vegetables
Vegetables are generally low in calories, while bringing the added benefits of fibre, vitamins and minerals.
To illustrate this, 420kJ/100kcal is equal to:
- 3 whole cucumbers
- 2 heads of lettuce
- 3 carrots weighing around 120g each
100-calorie portions of veg
You’d be hard-pressed to find a food as versatile as peanut butter: Slather it on burgers, slap it between two slices of bread, or spoon it up straight from the jar. Whether it’s serving as a snack to get you through the rest of your ride, or it’s waiting patiently for you to devour when you return home famished, peanut butter has probably earned a spot on your must-eat-now food list.
There’s no question it tastes delicious, but chances are, you’ve heard it talked up for its protein, too. So all that probably made you wonder: Is your favorite, take-anywhere snack really good for you?
To help us break it down, we spoke with Molly Kimball, R.D., sports dietitian with Ochsner Fitness Center in New Orleans.
Peanut butter is a good source of protein, and its heart-healthy monounsaturated fats make it a smart addition to most meals—in addition to serving as a tasty preride or midride fuel.
One serving—or two (unsalted) tablespoons—of the popular nut butter contains the following:
- 191 calories
- 7 grams of protein
- 7 grams of carbs
- 16 grams of fat (13 grams of monounsaturated fat, 3 grams of saturated fat)
- 1.6 grams of fiber
- 3.4 grams of sugar
Carbs are your body’s main source of fuel—the glucose found in carbs turns into glycogen, which provides energy to your muscles, allowing you to ride harder and longer. Protein is important for building and maintaining muscle, and monounsaturated fats can help reduce your risk of heart disease and may even help you lose weight. (In fact, previous research has shown eating a diet high in healthy fat can actually help you lose weight and reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease.)
Peanut butter also has minerals that are essential to cyclists such as calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium. Calcium helps keep your bones and muscles strong, both magnesium and phosphorus help your muscles contract and also help convert the food you eat into energy that powers your rides, and potassium helps regulate your fluids, nerve signals, and muscle contractions.
While it’s clear that peanut butter has many nutritional benefits, “there’s a misconception people have that it’s high in protein,” Kimball says. It actually contains far more body-smart fats than protein and carbs.
In order for a food to be considered high in protein, it should contain at least 15 grams of protein. So if you do want to use peanut butter as a good protein source, you would need to double up your serving size to four tablespoons. That being said, two servings would add up to nearly 400 calories—which isn’t always necessarily a bad thing, according to Kimball.
“You have to look at how much bang for your buck you’re getting,” she says. “Some people could use the extra calories in their diets, but others might not want them. It all depends on your goals.”
Still, when you’re considering how to fit peanut butter into your eating plan, it’s probably best to have it filling the role of heart-healthy fat—not a protein source. Sure, peanut butter will give you some protein, but that’s the minority of its nutrients. If you’re looking for a straight-up protein source, you are better off with options like egg whites or Greek yogurt, which have way more protein than any other macronutrient.
Take 100 calories worth of egg whites (seven large whites) for example: They contain 25 grams of protein, 0 grams of fat, and 2 grams of carbs. One tablespoon of peanut butter—which clocks in at 96 calories—provides just 3.5 grams of protein, 8 grams of fat, and 3.5 grams of carbs.
But just because peanut butter is not the protein powerhouse you may have thought doesn’t mean you should skip it. In fact, it’s just the opposite.
“Peanut butter is one of my favorite snacks for cyclists,” she says. “There are only so many gels you want to eat, so eating something like a peanut butter fold-over is a nice change.”
Pic’s Peanut Butter amazon.com $11.99 The combination of being high in fat with a hit of protein, carbs, and fiber makes peanut butter super satiating and helps stave off hunger for a while—perfect for a long ride.
Just make sure you’re choosing natural peanut butter brands, which contain minimal ingredients (peanuts and salt, ideally) and no added sugar, Kimball cautions.
A pro tip? Since peanut butter is relatively low in sodium—especially since some natural kinds contain no added salt—you may need to add some salt to it if you are eating it by itself as a fuel source, according to Kimball. Eating a peanut butter fold-over, like Kimball suggests, would be a more balanced option, since the bread will provide you with the sodium you need.
The bottom line? While it’s not must-have in your diet—there are plenty of other ways to get your daily dose of heart-healthy fats—peanut butter is convenient, portable, and tasty. What more could you ask for, really?
Danielle Zickl Associate Health & Fitness Editor Danielle specializes in interpreting and reporting the latest health research and also writes and edits in-depth service pieces about fitness, training, and nutrition.
WiseGEEK conducted a very visual and informative study and presented a photo series, which compares what 200 calories actually look like in different foods. You’d think that even with the bikini season coming up, a handful of gummy bears couldn’t hurt much, right..? Well, it turns out, just 51 gram of those gives you the same amount of calories as nearly 600 grams of broccoli or 3 whole eggs would. And now be honest – which of those amounts sounds more like a proper and filling 200 calorie meals to you?
The study compares 71 different foods and is originally organized going from low to high calorie density. You can tell how the quantities of these 200 calories snacks are getting smaller towards the end of the list! Statistically, an average adult needs 2000-2500 calories a day, but this, of course, differs depending on how physically active you are. So for those who don’t hesitate to sweat in the gym, a spoonful of peanut butter is a lot less of a sin! And if you are wondering how to count calories in the food you eat, this infographic is here to help.
Apples (385 grams / 13.5 oz)
Butter (28 grams / 0.98 oz)
Broccoli (588 grams / 20.7 oz)
Snickers Chocolate Bar (41 grams / 1.45 oz)
Cooked Pasta (145 grams / 5.11 oz)
Hot Dogs (66 grams / 2.33 oz)
Kiwi Fruit (328 grams / 11.6 oz)
Jack in the Box Cheeseburger (75 grams / 2.6 oz)
Eggs (150 grams / 5.3 oz)
Celery (1425 grams / 50.3 oz)
Blackberry Pie (56 grams / 1.97 oz)
Mini Peppers (740 grams / 26.1 oz)
Canned Black Beans (186 grams / 6.56 oz)
Werther’s Originals Candy (50 grams / 1.76 oz)
Jack in the Box Chicken Sandwich (72 grams / 2.5 oz)
Glazed Doughnut (52 grams / 1.8 oz)
French Sandwich Roll (72 grams / 2.5 oz)
Avocado (125 grams / 4.4 oz)
Canned Sweet Corn (308 grams / 10.9 oz)
Baby Carrots (570 gram / 20.1 oz)
Canned Green Peas (357 grams / 12.6 oz)
Canned Pork and Beans (186 grams / 6.56 oz)
Doritos (41 grams / 1.44 oz)
Dried Apricots (83 grams / 2.9 oz)
Jack in the Box French Fries (73 grams / 2.6 oz)
Fried Bacon (34 grams / 1.2 oz)
Fruit Loops Cereal (51 grams / 1.8 oz)
Grapes (290 grams / 10.2 oz)
Splenda Artifical Sweetener (50 grams / 1.8 oz)
Gummy Bears (51 grams / 1.8 oz)
Hershey Kisses (36 grams / 1.27 oz)
Honeydew Melon (553 grams / 19.5 oz)
Jelly Belly Jelly Beans (54 grams / 1.9 oz)
Ketchup (226 grams / 7.97 oz)
M&M Candy (40 grams / 1.4 oz)
Red Onions (475 grams / 16.75 oz)
Sliced Smoked Turkey (204 grams / 7.2 oz)
Coca Cola (496 ml / 16.77 oz)
Canola Oil (23 grams / 0.8 oz)
Smarties Candy (57 grams / 2 oz)
Tootsie Pops (68 grams / 2.4 oz)
Whole Milk (333 ml / 11.3 fl oz)
Balsamic Vinegar (200 ml / 6.8 fl oz)
Lowfat Strawberry Yogurt (196 grams / 6.9 oz)
Canned Chili con Carne (189 grams / 6.7 oz)
Canned Tuna Packed in Oil (102 grams / 3.6 oz)
Fiber One Cereal (100 grams / 3.5 oz)
Flax Bread (90 grams / 3.17 oz)
Blueberry Muffin (72 grams / 2.5 oz)
Bailey’s Irish Cream (60 ml / 2.02 fl oz)
Cranberry Vanilla Crunch Cereal (55 grams / 1.9 oz)
Cornmeal (55 grams / 1.94 oz)
Wheat Flour (55 grams / 1.94 oz)
Peanut Butter Power Bar (54 grams / 1.9 oz)
Puffed Rice Cereal (54 grams / 1.9 oz)
Puffed Wheat Cereal (53 grams / 1.87 oz)
Brown Sugar (53 grams / 1.87 oz)
Salted Pretzels (52 grams / 1.83 oz)
Medium Cheddar Cheese (51 grams / 1.8 oz)
Potato Chips (37 grams / 1.3oz)
Sliced and Toasted Almonds (35 grams / 1.23 oz)
Peanut Butter (34 grams / 1.2 oz)
Salted Mixed Nuts (33 grams / 1.16 oz)
Anyone can write on Bored Panda.Start writing!
Bored Panda works best if you switch to our Android app
Bored Panda works better on our iPhone app!
Follow Bored Panda on Google News!
Follow us on Flipboard.com/@boredpanda!
When it comes to calories, it’s common knowledge that the average woman needs around 2000 a day to maintain her weight and energy levels – but it’s how you ‘spend’ those calories that can be a more difficult concept to swallow.
Which is why wisegeek.com has broken down exactly what a 500 calorie snack looks like, regardless of its nutrional value.
Disclaimer: images are only an approximate guide.
Snickers chocolate bar
41 grams = 200 calories
Cosmopolitan UKGetty Images
385 grams = 200 calories
125 grams = 200 Calories
Hard boiled eggs
150 grams = 200 calories
Sesame Seed Bagel
70 grams = 200 calories
Ready salted crisps
37 grams = 200 calories
51 grams = 200 calories
Llindt Lindor balls
30 grams = 200 calories
34 grams = 200 calories
40 grams = 200 Calories
72 grams = 200 Calories
1425 grams = 200 Calories
If you want to break bad habits, try these healthy food swaps and if you’re on a weight loss mission but don’t want to sacrifice your sweet snacks, check out these 150 calorie treats.
Like this? Come and check us out on Snapchat Discover.
Dusty Baxter-Wright Senior Entertainment & Lifestyle Writer Dusty Baxter-Wright is Cosmopolitan’s Senior Entertainment and Lifestyle Writer, covering celebrities, movies, TV and books as well as travel, interiors, food and drink on a daily basis.
Revealed: What 200 calories looks like in different foods ¿ and the results are very surprising
- Caprice Bourret ‘deeply disgusted’ by ex DOI partner Hamish Gaman as she sensationally QUITS show… while ITV are forced to refute bullying claims
- Khloe Kardashian shows off her plump pout with sister Kourtney as she leaves ‘birthday party of the year’ for Kylie Jenner’s daughter Stormi
- Lucy Mecklenburgh displays her blossoming bump as she is joined by her nearest and dearest for swanky baby shower
- Love Island SPOILER: TWO Islanders have been dumped from the villa… as they make way for 12 new bombshells in Casa Amor Four couples were at risk
- Carol Vorderman puts on an animated display as she wraps up in padded coat and blue jeans for presenting her BBC radio show in Cardiff city centre
- Time for a spring refresh? 5 homeware hacks you NEED to know Ad Feature
- A ray of sunshine! The Queen brightens up an otherwise rainy day in a baby blue ensemble as she attends church service in Norfolk Radiant
- Dancing On Ice star Libby Clegg forced to PULL OUT of latest show after being struck down with vomiting bug Caprice has also quit the show
- Manchester City star Riyad Mahrez ‘is dating RHOC star Dawn Ward’s daughter Taylor after splitting from his ex-model wife Rita’ New couple?
- EastEnders’ Jessie Wallace ‘shocked male crew members with a saucy outburst… before being suspended for boozing on set’ Shock claims
- TALK OF THE TOWN: Georgia ‘Toff’ Toffolo ‘is secretly engaged to millionaire aristocrat George Cottrel’ who was Nigel Farage’s right hand man
- X Factor host Dermot O’Leary reveals he is expecting his first child with wife Dee Koppang… as she debuts her baby bump at BAFTA party
- Rebekah Vardy tenderly cradles baby daughter Olivia as she takes newborn tot to see husband Jamie play football for the first time
- Lady Gaga puts on cheeky display in black thong as she snuggles up to her mystery man ‘Michael’ in Miami ahead of pre-Super Bowl performance… after sharing a NYE kiss
- Pamela Anderson SPLITS from her movie producer husband Jon Peters after only 12 DAYS of marriage as the couple ‘take some time apart to re-evaluate’
- Meet the new Casa Amor Love Islanders! A pageant queen, a butler in the buff and three models… the ‘sexiest singletons yet’ set to arrive (and almost ALL have eyes on Luke M)
- Sienna Miller, 38, looks radiant in cream striped dress as she is joined by ‘fiancé’ Lucas Zwirner, 29, at Writers Guild Awards Cute couple
- Coronation Street boss hints at ‘plans to bring back Julie Goodyear’s legendary character Bet Lynch’ after a 17 year absence Legendary
- How to be the best version of YOU: Top 10 solutions to health and wellbeing problems that will leave you feeling AND looking good Ad Feature
- Sylvester Stallone, 73, showcases his new silver locks as he takes daughters Sophia, 23, and Sistine, 21, to dinner Family fun
- Kimberley Garner shows off her cleavage in a sexy gold mini dress at Sports Illustrated Super Bowl party Glamorous
- Charlotte Crosby and Ryan Gallagher pack on the PDA as they return to I’m A Celebrity for finale and reveal their romance is going full steam ahead
- Kylie Jenner wheels out THAT giant inflatable toddler head as she brings back STORMI WORLD for daughter’s lavish second birthday bash
- Kaz Crossley and Anthony Joshua don their glad rags to attend rapper Krept’s 30th birthday in London (who turns the party into a gender reveal)
- The Queen blamed HERSELF for her 1992 ‘annus horribilis’: Monarch asked ‘where did I go wrong’ in year of Prince Charles and Andrew’s marriage breakdown
- Coronation Street’s Alison King ‘caught kissing MARRIED co-star Mikey North at the NTAs’… before being ‘escorted’ out amid claims she was ‘drunk’
- Can glycolic acid give you brighter, smoother skin in just seven days? Meet the supercharged treatment that delivers professional results at home Ad Feature
- Lily Allen looks chic in a green and blue lace gown as she and beau David Harbour lead the stars at Chanel’s pre-BAFTAs 2020 party
- Katherine Jenkins enjoys a lunch date with husband Andrew… after schoolgirl, 15, admitted to mugging the singer when she intervened in ‘violent’ street robbery
- Katie Price RETURNS to rehab as she is spotted outside The Priory… just days after returning from visiting terminally ill mum Amy in Spain
- Heidi Klum wraps up in a huge padded coat and a tracksuit as she gets to work filming Germany’s Next Topmodel Cosy
- ‘I’ve got nothing to lose’: Watch Blake Lively transform from girl next door into deadly assassin in her toughest role to date Ad Feature
- Zoe Kravitz wraps up warm on a low key date night with her husband Karl Glusman in London The star cut a low-key figure on Saturday
- Prince Andrew called his ‘victim’ Virginia Roberts ‘a very sick girl’ days after she described her abuse at hands of Jeffrey Epstein
- Newly-single Ashley Roberts puts on a leggy display in a patterned burgundy dress as she steps out for dinner with pals… following split from Giovanni Pernice
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle promote Instagram page which focuses on ‘acts of kindness’ and ‘uplifting stories of community from across the globe’
- BAFTAs 2020: Florence Pugh wows in a red mini dress as she joins Little Women co-stars Saoirse Ronan and Laura Dern at a Nominees Party
- Jourdan Dunn reveals she’s ENGAGED to her ‘life partner’ Dion Hamilton as she shares a glimpse of her dazzling ‘£22,000’ diamond ring
- Jimmy Tarbuck reveals he is being tested for prostate cancer after his upcoming 80th birthday and close friend Tom Jones is helping him through health scare
- Lady Gaga says she ‘better hear no lip-syncing’ during Sunday’s Super Bowl… while performing in Miami Just hours away
- Chrissy Teigen is awestruck as she brings John Legend and Luna to Stormi Webster’s ultra-luxe second birthday party Adorable
- Joanna Lumley and Jo Brand ‘front-runners to replace Sandi Toksvig on the Great British Bake Off’… after the host shockingly quit the C4 show
- Jessie J reveals she enjoys cooking and cleaning more than sex with her reunited beau Channing Tatum Jessie J revealed some of her favourite activities
- Paul McCartney’s wife Nancy Shevell, 60, dazzles in a scarlet wrap dress on dinner date with husband, 77, in Miami as the pair attend Casamigos party
- The Crown: Olivia Colman portrays a giddy Queen Elizabeth II as she joins Tobias Menzies to film Princess Anne’s show jumping scenes for season four
- Gwyneth Paltrow sizzles in sequin Ralph And Russo suit to support hubby Brad Falchuk at WGA Awards where he gets Valentine Davies prize
- Louis Tomlinson admits he ‘isn’t ready’ to make up with One Direction band mate Zayn Malik and says he thinks the singer has been ‘disrespectful’
- Caprice Bourret ‘QUITS Dancing On Ice after struggling with split from partner Hamish Gaman’… after he cryptically claimed ‘the truth will out’
- Kylie Jenner and ex-Travis Scott chat happily together at daughter Stormi’s 2nd birthday bash as they continue to amicably co-parent the tot
- Gaten Matarazzo of Stranger Things reveals his fourth Cleidocranial Dysplasia surgery was a ‘complete success’ The actor suffers from the condition
- Jenna Dewan shows off her growing baby bump after picking up her daughter Everly from practice Jenna looked effortlessly stylish
- SAS: Who Dares Wins star Ant Middleton admits he CHEATED on Everest challenge by flying to a luxury hotel and getting ‘smashed’ – leaving his film crew in tents at 17,000ft
- Katy Perry models Marilyn Monroe hairdo and lei as she poses with Minnie Mouse and goofs off with Ryan Seacrest at Disney resort in Hawaii
- Kaia Gerber shows off her toned figure i a crop top and leggings after a weekend sweat session in West Hollywood Kaia looked incredible in the ensemble
- Game of Thrones star Emilia Clarke reveals why she WON’T Google herself or take selfies… and how it’s become her ‘recipe for success’ Feeling good
- Roxanne Pallett’s honeymoon dreams are extinguished as her fireman husband Jason Carrion is called into work… after the couple married in secret
- Natasha Lyonne puts a punk chic twist on the little black dress as she matches pregnant pal Chloe Sevigny at bi-coastal Writers Guild Awards
- Caitlyn Jenner cuts a cool look in black leather jacket as she steps out for dinner with Sophia Hutchins in West Hollywood Chic
- Christie Brinkley, 66, sizzles in sexy ringmaster costume as she performs with daughter Alexa Ray Joel, 34, at Big Apple Circus in NYC
- Demi Lovato joins Dan + Shay onstage Bud Light Super Bowl Music Fest… ahead of singing National Anthem The 27-year-old pop star rocked Versace leggings
- Mark Wahlberg’s wife Rhea ‘paralyzed with fear’ over him taking flights after tragic death of Kobe Bryant in helicopter crash Struggle
- Guns N’ Roses pays tribute to Kobe Bryant and his daughter Gianna and dedicates performance to the victims of the helicopter crash at the Bud Light Super Bowl Fest
- The Masked Singer: Unicorn is revealed to be The Scissor Sisters’ Jake Shears and Duck is Britpop legend Skin in DOUBLE vote-off
- Madonna, 61, leaves her concert in London after apologising to fans for cancelling more shows and revealing she’s doing six hours of rehab a day
- Reese Witherspoon shows off petite curves in sports leggings during jog and later in denim mini-dress at her son’s soccer practice Taking it easy
- ‘I don’t want to put all of myself out there for the world to see’: Maddison Brown on life after being spotted kissing Liam Hemsworth
- Hailey Bieber flaunts her toned legs in denim shorts after a relaxing spa day in Los Angeles Hailey showcased her toned physique
- Paris Hilton rocks a plunging sequin dress as she takes to the decks to bust out some tunes at the Rolling Stone Super Bowl party in Miami
- Lily-Rose Depp looks effortlessly chic as she dazzles in a sheer gold sequinned dress at Chanel’s pre-BAFTAs 2020 party Chic
- Claire Foy stuns in a plunging black silk jumpsuit as she joins Game Of Thrones star Emilia Clarke at Chanel’s pre-BAFTAs 2020 party
- TALK OF THE TOWN: Is Jude Law, proud dad of one of this country’s most sought-after young models, about to score a six?
- Kourtney Kardashian flaunts her cleavage as she heads to the farmers market on outing with gal pal Larsa Pippen… after their ‘movie night’
- Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson and Oprah Winfrey get in a brisk workout session before the Super Bowl The two went for a run on treadmills
- Kristin Chenoweth shows off petite figure in black flared pants and matching crop-top with puffy sleeves as she’s honored at LGBTQ charity in NYC
- Olivia Culpo takes the plunge in fringe mini as she smolders with NFL beau Christian McCaffrey at Super Saturday Night bash in Miami
- Tina Fey is the picture of business-chic in blue double-breasted suit at Writers Guild Awards in NYC Tina exuded glamour on the outing
- Greta Gerwig and Noah Baumbach holds hands while looking stylish in suits at the 2020 Writers Guild Awards in New York City
- Jack Fincham is every inch the doting father as he takes his newborn baby daughter Blossom out in her pram for the first time in sweet clip Adorable
- Fancy seeing you here! Locals are left stunned as Tom Hanks dines at a restaurant in rural New South Wales during downtime from filming new Elvis biopic
- That’s not very fancy! Iggy Azalea reveals she suffered an embarrassing fall while shopping in public at Sephora Oops
- Bindi Irwin takes a break from wedding planning to enjoy a family beach trip with mother Terri, brother Robert and fiancé Chandler Powell
- Peter Crouch ‘scores new BBC One prime time entertainment show inspired by James Corden’s The Late Late Show’ One to watch
- The Greatest Dancer: Cheryl shares rare insight into life at home with son Bear, 2, as she reveals he will already be copying one of her act’s moves
- Lizzo rocks a white swimsuit for yacht day and twerk competition in Miami with bikini-clad friends ahead of Super Bowl LIV Work it
- Imogen Thomas wows in a leather mini skirt and thigh-high boots as she continues to flaunt her January weight loss… after vowing she’s still got ‘more to lose’
- Kim Kardashian’s endorsement company claims to be taking offers for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle and asks for commercial requests from its clients
- Princess Eugenie dons a chic printed shirt as she heads to the hairdressers… amid claims her sister Beatrice will ‘marry in London’
- Eiza Gonzalez highlights her cleavage in a low-cut blouse as she attends the AT&T Super Saturday Night concert in Miami Chic
- Breaking Bad’s Aaron Paul and Bryan Cranston play bartender and serve up their new mezcal brand at bar in Miami ahead of Super Bowl
- Prince Charles is caught in eco row after flying 125 miles in the Queen’s helicopter before riding in a Bentley for a speech on cutting carbon emissions
- Tamara Ecclestone is forced to close her children’s skincare company and her chain of hair salons after the US style treatment failed to catch on
- Gillian Anderson looks chic as she joins Laura Dern and Kathleen Kennedy at pre-BAFTAs Fellowship lunch at London’s Savoy
- BAFTAs 2020: Joaquin Phoenix looks dapper in a tailored suit as he joins his Joker co-star Zazie Beetz at a Nominees Party ahead of event
- Gemma Arterton oozes sartorial chic in a fitted corset top and culottes as she arrives at Chanel’s pre-BAFTAs 2020 party Glam
- Hugh Grant, 59, is every bit the gentleman in a dapper ensemble as he arrives with wife Anna Eberstein, 36, for Chanel’s pre-BAFTAs party
- Helen McCrory, 51, wows in a metallic bronze feathered dress as she joins husband Damian Lewis, 48, at Chanel’s pre-BAFTAs 2020 party
- The Real’s Adrienne Bailon reunites with co-host Loni Love at NAACP Image Awards luncheon The talented twosome looked in good spirits
- Hilary Duff is a star in a striped skirt and cream jumper as she stops by #BlogHer20 health event to promote using natural beauty products
- Jay-Z defends his partnership with the NFL ahead of Super Bowl PSA about police brutality, says he can handle ‘negative press’ from his fallout with Colin Kaepernick
- Love Island’s Francesca Allen looks effortlessly chic in a beige shirt dress as she enjoys a night out with friends in London
- Love Island: Dumped islander Eve Gale says she ‘misses Jess more than ever’ as she shares sizzling post of the pair in matching red bikinis
- Nick Lachey has ‘not read a single word’ of Jessica Simpson’s new memoir… after she let loose on their marriage and divorce
- Jodie Turner-Smith is having a girl! Actress accidentally lets the gender slip on The Graham Norton Show
- Christina Aguilera challenges Spanish songstress Rosalia to a friendly game of Mario Kart during a chance hangout in Los Angeles
- Michael Barrymore pool death ‘was MURDER’: Detective says Stuart Lubbock was ‘raped and deliberately killed’ as he launches probe into tragedy 18 years ago
- Eva Mendes, 45, takes the high road when an Instagram troll says ‘she’s getting old’: ‘Thank God I’m getting old. That means I’m still here’
- Emily Ratajkowski flaunts her taut tummy in a crop top and miniskirt as she joins the stars at Michael Rubin’s Fanatics Super Bowl Party
- Saturday Night Live: J.J. Watt is The Pilot Hunk as the NFL star parodies The Bachelor in his first hosting stint
- TALK OF THE TOWN: Catherine Zeta Jones shows off Celtic genes to visitors at her £4million mansion with Welsh trinkets
- Julianne Hough and her husband Brooks Laich share a laugh as they step out for breakfast together… amid rumours of their separation
- Kate Ferdinand breaks down in tears while Rio insists there’s ‘no manual to become a stepmum’ in teaser for stepfamily documentary
- TALK OF THE TOWN: He may not like blenders, but he’s not averse to mixing up his love life! Gavin Rossdale spotted with mystery blonde after splitting with Russian playboy model girlfriend over £1,000 blender
- Ciara hides her baby bump under textured silver blazer dress as she leads the pack of celebrities and athletes at the NFL Honors in Miami
- ‘Rude and downright embarrassing’: Jim Carrey is BLASTED by fans for joke implying Margot Robbie’s successful career is thanks to her looks
- Katie Holmes and daughter Suri Cruise bundle up in cosy puffer jackets as they enjoy a mother and daughter day out in NYC
- The 1975 cancel Laneway gig after singer Matt Healy is hospitalised and ‘too weak’ to play after coming down with a ‘serious sickness’
- Love Island’s Shaughna Phillips fails to impress MIC star Sam Thompson in VERY awkward Celebs Go Dating clip… a year before her villa stint
- Jennifer Lopez shows off her stunning abs while rehearsing for her Super Bowl halftime performance… after Bad Bunny is added to the lineup
- Off for a spin, ma’am? The Queen gets behind the wheel of her Range Rover as he prepares to end her annual Sandringham stay
- Sienna Miller, 38, gets engaged for the third time to 29-year-old toyboy Lucas Zwirner… but seems shy about showing off her ring
- Prince Andrew, the world is watching: Four of Jeffrey Epstein’s victims write an open letter to the Duke urging him to talk to the FBI for the sake of ‘your daughters’
- Mick Jagger seduced me when I was 15: Actress Rae Dawn reveals how she spent night with Rolling Stone when she was underage and he was married to Bianca
- Victoria Beckham, 45, bears an uncanny resemblance to son Romeo, 17, as she shares sweet throwback snap of her younger self
- The Greatest Dancer: Cheryl’s group The Queens and Todrick’s commercial act Ryan are the FIRST to be voted off
- Demi Lovato leaves Miami nightclub with a mystery man at 6AM… ahead of Sundays Super Bowl performance
- Ed Sheeran looks disappointed as he and wife Cherry Seaborn watch their beloved football team Ipswich Town lose 4-1 to Peterborough United
- Sarah Michelle Gellar thanks a friend for being the inadvertent reason she’s spent 20 years with her beloved husband Freddie Prinze Jr.
- ‘I was such a fraud!’: Newly-unearthed clip shows the moment Meghan Markle admits she fibbed to casting directors about being in an actor’s union so she could land a part
- ELIZABETH DAY: Andrew’s cancer ‘joke’ was bad enough… but it’s timing just days after pictures emerged of him arm-in-arm with Virginia Roberts made it even worse
- Christine McGuinness is casual in a cosy pink fur jacket as she arrives in Manchester… after urging Strictly Come Dancing bosses to sign her up
- Gang of Four guitarist Andy Gill, 64, dies two months after finishing tour as band pay tribute to ‘genius’ who was ‘one of the best’
- Kimberley Garner flaunts her incredible figure in a plunging blue thong swimsuit as she takes a dip in the sea during downtime in Miami
- Love Island: Latest Casa Amor bombshell REVEALED as ripped, bikini-loving events manager Natalia Zoppa, 20, from Manchester
- Gabrielle Union flaunts her fabulous legs as she dances in the rain during Miami photoshoot
- Post Malone spills $50k cash as he hits Miami nightclub after Super Bowl weekend performance
- Revealed: Prince Andrew made sick ‘gag’ about breast cancer that is ‘too offensive to be repeated’ in boorish texts to his friend Jonathan Rowland
- Rita Ora delightedly unveils her new ‘Zog’ neck tattoo… as she reveals the Albanian word is the pet name given to her by beloved mum Vera
- Kylie Jenner says she and Stormi were ‘meant for each other’ as she shares tender throwbacks in tribute to her daughter’s second birthday
- Una Healy poses in rare loved-up snap with beau David Breen before impressing fans by speaking Swahili as they continue sun-soaked Zanzibar holiday
- Selena Gomez continues to move on from ’emotionally abusive’ relationship with Justin Bieber as she packs away bikes they rode during brief reunion
- Nicki Minaj will earn $125K to host a post-Super Bowl party… as stars cash in big on the lavish Miami football festivities Party
- Feel free to finally try a sip of alcohol’: Kate Beckinsale wishes look-alike daughter Lily a happy 21st birthday
- Montana Brown shows ex Elliott Reeder what he’s missing as she shares SIZZLING bikini-clad selfie
- Jade Thirlwall sends Little Mix fans wild after posting a cryptic snap of herself recording vocals in the studio as she teases a new sixth album
- Heavily pregnant Nicole Trunfio puts her bump on display as she poses completely nude during glamorous desert photo shoot
- Myleene Klass looks effortlessly chic as she rocks a stylish fedora and trench coat for solo commute to her radio duties in London
- Cameron Diaz keeps it casual in a cardigan as she hits up a facial spa after welcoming firstborn daughter Raddix last month
- Love Island’s Casa Amor FIRST LOOK: The relationship-testing second villa is revealed ahead of the arrival of a new batch of sexy singletons
- Aretha Franklin’s niece relinquishes role as singer’s executor due to ongoing ‘rift in the family’
- Rachel Lindsay and LaLa Anthony indulge in fast food treats at Bootsy On The Water Party With McDonald’s And Post Malone
- Friends of US attorney who slammed Prince Andrew say he’ll ‘ruthlessly pursue all leads’ in Jeffrey Epstein probe – as he’s compared to Chuck Rhoades from Billions
- Justin Bieber mourns the loss of Kobe Bryant with $1200 tribute art to the basketball legend
- ‘Wedding throwback!’ Kate Ferdinand fangirls as she attends Ashanti concert in London… five months after husband Rio surprised her with the R&B icon at their Turkey nuptials
- Kobe Bryant’s prom date Brandy says she’ll ‘never understand’ his death as she offers her condolences nearly a week after loss of the NBA All-Star and his daughter Gianna, 13
- Diddy suits up in classic black as he and others pay tribute to Kobe Bryant during Shaq’s Funhouse party for Super Bowl weekend
- Love Island’s Molly-Mae Hague looks sensational as she models several different looks while shooting her latest clothing collection in LA
- Rodrigo Alves showcases the results of her latest surgery in a busty pink sequinned dress as she steps out in Istanbul
- Star Wars: Phantom Menace actor Jake Lloyd who starred as young Anakin Skywalker is struggling with paranoid schizophrenia, his mother says
- Piers Morgan blasts BBC’s Horrible Histories children’s show for ‘trashing Britain’ with Brexit-themed song
- Harry Styles CANCELS pre-Super Bowl show in Florida due to severe storm warnings… as heartbroken fans hit out at event organisers for poor safety conditions amid shock evacuation
- Fern Britton and Phil Vickery ‘often weren’t on speaking terms and their recent separation has been on the cards for years’… following the death of the TV star’s father Tony
- Tamara Ecclestone beams as she hits the ski slopes with her Jay and Sophia… after being forced to make ‘difficult decision’ to close two of her businesses
- Emily Atack and Jack Fincham ‘caught KISSING at the NTAs and couldn’t keep their hands off each other’… days after the Love Island star became a new dad
- DOI’s Caprice Bourret displays painful injuries from training with new pro Oscar Peter… just hours after ex- skating partner Hamish Gaman insisted ‘he’s not okay’ amid bitter split
- Jim Carrey reveals he WOULD be happy to portray The Mask again but only if a ‘crazy visionary filmmaker’ was making a sequel
- Declan Donnelly praises Supervet Noel Fitzpatrick for saving his beloved daschund Rocky’s life after he was savaged by a fox Pet dog
- Cheryl gets to work alongside her fellow Greatest Dancer captains… with stunning new mum Alesha Dixon getting her dancing shoes back on
- Frankie Essex showcases her one stone weight loss in a form-fitting black mini dress as she enjoys a night out in London
- ‘I’m not okay:’ Dancing On Ice’s Hamish Gaman insists the ‘truth will come out’ amid THAT Caprice Bourret split… as he finally breaks his silence
- Michelle Heaton unveils her new wrist inking after adding a simple ‘M’ to her tattoo collection during Bali trip… following her hospitalisation for ‘severe dehydration’
- Love Island’s Sophie and Mike are branded ‘SNAKES’ by fans after they ‘tactically’ vote for Siannise and Luke in brutal compatibility task… leaving them at risk of being DUMPED
- Love Island: Three models heading into Casa Amor are revealed… as bosses hope for fireworks as the Islanders are faced with temptation
- Nathalie Emmanuel cuts a quirky figure in a graphic tee and floaty skirt as she joins stars at Fast and Furious Road to F9 concert
- Christine McGuinness looks incredible in a VERY busty scarlet red dress for glam appearance at awards bash in Ireland Wow
- Kate Beckinsale, 46, risks a wardrobe malfunction in a VERY short PVC skirt with a feathered coat following Hollywood night out
- Gary Kemp, 60, cuts a dapper figure as he enjoys date night with wife Lauren Barber, 42… after admitting he’s ‘fighting’ for a Spandau Ballet reunion
- Jessica Biel shares gushing birthday message to Justin Timberlake after marriage was rocked by his PDA scandal: ‘You somehow grow up without growing old’
- Jenna Dewan floats in a bath and covers her bump in lace for breathtaking maternity photos…weeks before her due date Stunning
- Best-selling author of more than 50 mystery novels and ‘queen of suspense’ Mary Higgins Clark dies at 92 Tragic
- Love Island’s Chloe Crowhurst puts on a busty display in a green mini dress as she enjoys girls’ night out
- Oh, baby! Heavily pregnant Nicole Trunfio shows off her burgeoning bump in a tight jumpsuit as she poses in the snow
- Emma Roberts opts for a risqué look as she goes braless in sexy black top with flared jeans for low-key LA dinner
- Taylor Swift reveals ‘there’s a part of me that’s definitely not ready to have kids’ in new doco… where she sparks engagement rumors with Joe Alwyn
- Ciara dazzles in black sequins as Russell Wilson puts on a dapper display for date night in Miami… after announcing third pregnancy
- Khloe Kardashian enjoys a cheerful morning with True in $12,500 playhouse that’s just like the one Kylie Jenner bought for Stormi
- Vanessa Bryant posts heartbreaking message honoring Kobe and Gianna after a tearful LeBron James and grieving LA Lakers paid tribute to them at their first game since the NBA legend died in a helicopter crash
- Jasmine Sanders, Kate Bock and Danielle Herrington stun at Super Bowl party… but ‘disappointed’ Harry Styles has to call off his performance due to ‘a severe storm’
- Megan Thee Stallion serves body in double denim as she goes on Chanel shopping spree in Miami ahead of Super Bowl
- Tamara Ecclestone forced to make ‘difficult decision’ to close two of her businesses… one month after her home was hit by a £50million raid
- Meghan Markle doesn’t come close to Wallis Simpson ‘in terms of style and sophistication’, says Edward VIII’s former secretary
- Terry Crews apologizes to Gabrielle Union for ‘invalidating’ her experiences of racism and sexism on AGT set: ‘I should have at the very least understood’
- Taylor Swift accepts Nikki Glaser’s apology after the comedian joked that she was ‘too skinny’ in her Netflix documentary Miss Americana
- Chrissy Teigen tries to get daughter Luna to watch a kissing scene in It Takes Two much to the toddler’s disapproval
- Police arrest woman, 47, and a man, 21, over £50m burglary at Tamara Ecclestone’s £70m Kensington home – as two other suspects remain in custody
- Dakota Johnson makes a hilarious surprise cameo as St. Vincent’s girlfriend in the Sundance film The Nowhere Inn
- ‘Love you endlessly’: Rebecca Judd pens a heartwarming tribute to her daughter Billie on her sixth birthday and shares sweet throwback snaps from when she was a newborn
- Rihanna proves to be her own best advertisement as she strips down to show off the latest Savage X Fenty collection Raunchy
- Kanye West looks glum while leaving his Calabasas office just days before his Superbowl Sunday Service in Miami
- Rebel Wilson reveals she was sexually harassed… and says she once had a STALKER who planned to lock her on his rural Victorian farm until she ‘loved him’
- Debi Mazar says her best friend Madonna’s toyboy Ahlamalik Williams, 25, is ‘lovely’ and ‘sweet’
20 ‘zero-calorie’ foods to snack on guilt-free
It sounds almost too good to be true: tasty snacks that contain no calories.
But health experts have identified a variety of super-healthy treats that supposedly take more energy to digest than they provide in calories.
For those embarking on a New Year diet, the theory is that you can lose weight by eating lots of these zero calorie foods.
Celery is often cited as an example because it’s mainly water and fiber; however strawberries, apples, and apricots have also been heralded as guilt-free options.
Watercress, cucumber, beetroot, onions and lemons have also been unveiled as go-to foods for those looking to shed a few pounds.
However, not all nutritionists agree that negative-calorie foods exist.
Lisa Moskovitz, a food expert, told Greatist: “A basic rule of nutrition is ‘if it sounds too good to be true, it is’.”
“The rumor about negative calorie foods is based off the idea that the body burns more calories to digest a food than it actually contains.”
Apricots are another food that supposedly contains no calories.
“So, to eat 20 calories worth of veggies the body uses over 30 calories for digestion which means there’s a deficit of 10 calories, right? Unfortunately, no.”
“The truth is that while some foods, such as celery stalks which are very low in energy (14 calories per serving), may produce a negative calorie balance, the amount is negligible.”
“And there’s also the fact that eating celery all day won’t be doing the body any favors.”
“At the end of the day, you’ll likely be left ravenous, desperately seeking the most calorie-filled food around. Did someone say ice cream?”
But Dr. Donald Hensrud, from the Mayo Clinic, believes these so-called negative-calorie foods can aid weight loss.
He said: “Foods that contain few calories, such as celery and other non-starchy vegetables, provide a small number of calories but still require energy to digest.”
“That means it is theoretically possible to have a negative-calorie food, but there are no reputable scientific studies to prove that certain foods have this effect.”
Apples might effectively contain zero calories.
“However, even if non-starchy vegetables are not negative-calorie, they are still low-calorie, and a smart choice to include in a predominantly plant-based diet.”
He added: “The bottom line: Following extreme diets that promote eating only a few foods can cause you to miss out on important nutrients.
“The key to successful weight loss is adopting a healthy lifestyle that includes a balanced diet and regular exercise.”
The 20 foods that contain zero calories
- Green beans
A dietitian’s photo of the same dishes with different calories will show you how to build a healthier meal
- People often think that cutting calories means eating less or giving up our favorite foods.
- But there are plenty of ways you can slash calories without drastically changing what you eat.
- To show this, dietitian Paula Norris posts photos of the same meals to Instagram— one of which has nearly half the calories of the other.
- Her tips for cutting calories from meals include reducing portions, cooking with less oil, and adding more non-starchy vegetables to dishes.
Cooking at home allows you to control exactly what’s going into your food, but that doesn’t mean you’re immune to mistakes. There are a number of ways you could be consuming more calories than you think, even if you’re eating “healthy” foods.
To point out some of the most common “mistakes” that add extra calories, dietitian Paula Norris makes high- and low-calorie versions of the same meal. She then shares photos of the meals on social media and explains how they differ.
Even if you’re not trying to cut calories, Norris’ photos can provide some helpful lessons and make you rethink how you’re cooking. Here are some of her meals and her favorite tricks for reducing calories.
Eliminate fatty dressings and excess protein to build a healthy, filling salad.
Norris replaced a mayonnaise-based dressing for a combination of natural yogurt and Dijon mustard, and cut down on protein. Courtesy of Paula Norris
Protein is important, but Norris said one of the most common mistakes she sees is people consuming too much meat because they don’t understand how much protein they need. The higher calorie salad uses 300 grams of chicken — more than twice as much as the 120 grams of chicken used in the salad on the right. “100 grams of chicken or red meat in a meal is plenty from a protein perspective but main people eat upwards of 200 grams per meal,” Norris told INSIDER.
Read more: 9 fast food salads that have more calories than a Big Mac
The salad on the left has 300 grams of chicken breast fried in one teaspoon of oil, mayonnaise dressing, bacon, croutons baked in one teaspoon of oil, and 15 grams of Parmesan cheese. The salad on the right only has 120 grams of chicken grilled without oil, croutons baked without oil, homemade dressing (one tablespoon of yogurt, one teaspoon of Dijon mustard, and garlic), plus red onion and cherry tomatoes. Both salads have the same amount of lettuce and anchovies.
Pay attention to the amount of healthy fats from foods like avocados.
The salad on the right uses less cooking oil and meat with the fat trimmed off. Courtesy of Paula Norris
Norris told INSIDER that one of the most common mistakes she sees is people overdoing foods rich in healthy fats, such as avocados. “People will easily consume half an avocado, a tablespoon of olive oil, or half a cup of nuts and pass it off for being healthy,” Norris told INSIDER. Although foods like this are packed with nutrients, they’re also extremely calorie dense.
The salad on the left uses 180 grams of untrimmed steak cooked in one teaspoon of oil, two cups of lettuce, four red onion rings, 50 grams of avocado, one cup of cooked rice noodles, 30 grams of cucumber, two cherry tomatoes, two teaspoons of sesame oil, two teaspoons of lime juice, and one teaspoon of soy sauce.
Read more: 12 healthy ingredients you should be adding to your salad
The salad on the right, however, has 100 grams of trimmed steak grilled without oil, two cups of lettuce, four red onion rings, 25 grams of avocado, half a cup of cooked rice noodles, 50 grams of cucumber, four cherry tomatoes, half of a medium carrot, one teaspoon of sesame oil, two teaspoons of lime juice, and one teaspoon of soy sauce.
Measure portion sizes to cut calories without changing what you eat.
The bowl on the right uses less cheese, quinoa, sweet potato, and chicken, and adds more veggies. Courtesy of Paula Norris These bowls have the same ingredients, but different portion sizes.
In addition to watching portion sizes of meat and healthy fats, Norris told INSIDER that you can quickly cut calories by reducing the portion size of starchy carbs, like she did with quinoa and sweet potatoes in this recipe. To retain the bulk of the meal, Norris likes to add non-starchy vegetables, as she did here with zucchini, tomatoes, and capsicum.
The bowl on the left has 50 grams of feta cheese, 200 grams of sweet potato, four cherry tomatoes, half a cup of baby spinach, one-fourth a cup of capsicum, one-sixth of a medium zucchini, one cup of cooked quinoa, 180 grams of poached chicken, and a dressing of balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
The bowl on the right has 25 grams of feta cheese, 100 grams of sweet potato, eight cherry tomatoes, one cup of baby spinach, half of a small capsicum, one-third of a medium zucchini, half a cup of cooked quinoa, 120 grams of poached chicken, and balsamic vinegar for dressing.
Limit portions of calorie-dense foods, such as dried fruit.
The bowl on the right uses less muesli, no dried fruit, and uses reduced-fat yogurt instead of full-fat. Courtesy of Paula Norris
Although 170 calories might not seem like a huge difference, cutting a small amount of calories across the day can be the difference between weight gain, maintenance, and loss. The main differences between these breakfast bowls are that the one on the right uses reduced-fat instead of full-fat yogurt, less muesli and dried fruit, and more mixed berries.
Similar to how Norris bulks up her meals with veggies, adding more fruit can ensure you’re still getting a filling breakfast. Berries are also a great option because they’re low-sugar and packed with antioxidants.
Read more: 14 ‘diet’ foods that seem healthy but actually aren’t
The bowl on the left uses three-fourths a cup of muesli, 100 grams of full-fat yogurt, one tablespoon of sultanas, one-fourth a cup of mixed berries, one tablespoon of chia seeds, and one teaspoon of pomegranate seeds.
The bowl on the right uses half a cup of muesli, 100 grams of reduced-fat yogurt, three-fourths a cup of mixed berries, two teaspoons of chia seeds, and one teaspoon of pomegranate seeds.
Eliminate cooking oil to gets rid of calories you might not have even considered.
The fried rice on the right uses less cooking oil and chicken, and more veggies and cauliflower rice. Courtesy of Paula Norris Cooking with too much oil is a common “mistake” that Norris sees people make. One of the biggest differences between these fried rice dishes is that Norris eliminates cooking oil in the later. If you can’t completely eliminate oil, Norris said using spray oil or simmering ingredients in water are good alternatives.
The fried rice on the right also uses less brown rice than it’s higher-calorie counterpart. Norris told INSIDER that using a 50:50 combo of regular rice and cauliflower rice, as she did in this recipe, is one of her favorite ways to cut calories without having to drastically change recipes.
Read more: 5 cooking mistakes that are making your ‘healthy’ meals unhealthy
The fried rice on the left uses one and a half cups of brown rice, one-fourth a cup of capsicum, one-fourth a cup of peas, half a cup of corn, half of an egg, two tablespoons of soy sauce, one-fourth of a carrot, 180 grams of chicken, and two teaspoons of oil.
The option on the right combines half a cup of brown rice with half a cup of cauliflower rice, and uses half a cup of capsicum, half a cup of peas, half a cup of corn, half of a carrot, half of an egg, eight green beans, two teaspoons of soy sauce, and 100 grams of chicken.
Use a 50:50 ratio of vegetables and wheat-products to slash calories without compromising the taste.
The bowl of pasta on the right used a combination of spaghetti and zucchini noodles. Courtesy of Paula Norris
Using zucchini noodles in place of regular noodles doesn’t affect how filling your meal is, but it does affect how many calories you’re consuming. The main difference between these dishes is that Norris used a 50:50 combo of wheat and zucchini noodles in the dish on the right, less Parmesan cheese, and leaner meat. She also eliminated cooking oil and noted that mincemeat has fat to begin with so you don’t need oil to cook it.
Read more: 10 foods to try if you want to cut down on carbs
The bowl on the left is made with 180 grams of regular mincemeat, one teaspoon of oil for cooking, 15 grams of Parmesan cheese, and one cup of cooked pasta. The bowl on the right cuts down on calories by replacing half a cup of pasta with zucchini noodles (while still keeping half a cup of pasta), 120 grams of extra lean mincemeat, five grams of Parmesan cheese, one grated carrot, one tomato, extra grated zucchini, and eliminated cooking oil.
Substitute veggies for wheat products.
The stir fry on the right contains cauliflower rice, less meat, less oil, and more veggies. Courtesy of Paula Norris
If you want to cut even more calories, you can completely replace white rice with cauliflower rice, as Norris did in the dish on the right. She also used less meat and eliminated pan oil. “You get fats in the meat and sauce, and a bit of water will be adequate if you’re using a nonstick pan,” she wrote on her Instagram.
The bowl on the right also has more low-starch veggies, such as broccoli, carrots, pepper, and zucchini. “There is no better way to remain satisfied and get plenty of nutrients and fiber in without going overboard with calories,” she told INSIDER. She said that some of her favorite lower calorie vegetables are broccoli, zucchini, carrot, tomatoes, capsicum, tomatoes, eggplant, cucumber, squash, spinach, kale, cauliflower, asparagus, bok choy, and peas.
The stir-fry on the left uses one cup of white rice, one tablespoon of sweet chili sauce, pan oil, and 180 grams of meat. The option on the right replaces the white rice with a cup of cauliflower rice, two teaspoons of Sriracha, no pan oil, 80 grams of meat, and adds lots of veggies.
Ditch starchy carbs altogether.
The “tacos” on the right use lettuce wraps instead of flour tortillas. Courtesy of Paula Norris
Replacing lettuce wraps for tortillas is an easy way to cut down on calories without compromising the bulk of your meal. Eliminating carbs entirely can leave you hungry, so Norris added red kidney beans to the dish on the right to keep it filling. Another big difference between the meals is that the right uses less avocado, no cooking oil, and leaner meat.
It also uses Parmesan cheese instead of cheddar cheese. Norris said this is one of her favorite swaps because Parmesan has a much sharper flavor so you can get away with much less.
The plate on the right uses three soft shell tacos, one teaspoon of cooking oil, half of a garlic clove, half of a brown onion, 200 grams of regular mincemeat, half a tin of tomatoes, taco seasoning, four cherry tomatoes, one-fourth of a small corn cob, 50 grams of avocado, and 40 grams of full-fat cheddar cheese.
The plate on the right replaces tortillas with lettuce leaves, uses a tablespoon of water instead of cooking oil, half of a garlic clove, half of a brown onion, 100 grams of extra-lean mincemeat, 70 grams of red kidney beans, one small grated carrot, half a tin of tomatoes, taco seasoning, eight cherry tomatoes, 25 grams of diced capsicum, one-fourth of a small corn cob, 25 grams of avocado, and 10 grams of Parmesan cheese.
Use smaller portions of starches.
The burrito on the right is made with a smaller wrap, less cheese, less avocado, no oil, and leaner meat. Courtesy of Paula Norris
The size of the wrap is one obvious change between these photos, and it accounts for about 100 calories difference. But the other changes can save you an extra 300 calories, Norris wrote on Instagram. Some other differences are that Norris eliminated cooking oil for the burrito on the left, used extra-lean meat, and less cheese.
Norris told INSIDER that she loves adding carrots, zucchini, or fresh and tinned tomatoes to tacos and burritos that use ground red meat. She also added black beans to make up for some of the meat she reduced from the higher-calorie burrito.
Read more: 12 foods you didn’t realize have carbs in them
The burrito on the left uses a large wrap, one teaspoon of cooking oil, half of a brown onion, 160 grams of regular mincemeat, taco seasoning, half a tin of tomatoes, one cup of lettuce, half of a tomato, 50 grams of avocado, and 40 grams of cheese.
The burrito on the right uses a medium wrap, no cooking oil, half of a brown onion, 100 grams of extra-lean mincemeat, 50 grams of black beans, one-third of a zucchini, half of a medium carrot, taco seasoning, half a tin of tomatoes, one cup of lettuce, half of a tomato, 25 grams of avocado, and 20 grams of low-fat cheese.
Bulk up your meal by adding more non-starchy veggies.
The bowl of pasta on the right contains less chicken, cheese, and pasta, and more veggies. Courtesy of Paula Norris
If you’re cutting down on the portion of the main ingredient in your dish, such as pasta, you can add more veggies to keep the meal filling. The main difference between these dishes is that the bowl of pasta on the right uses less pasta, less chicken, no cooking oil, less cheese, and more veggies.
The bowl on the left uses two teaspoons of olive oil, 200 grams of chicken, 30 grams of semi-trimmed bacon, two cups of cooked pasta, 30 grams of full-fat cheddar cheese, one medium mushroom, and two large broccoli florets.
Read more: Some of the most filling foods you can eat, according to nutritionists
The dish on the right uses 100 grams of chicken cooked in a little water instead of oil, one cup of cooked pasta, one teaspoon of capers, 10 grams of low-fat cheddar cheese, one-fourth of a large capsicum, four large broccoli florets, and two medium mushrooms. Both recipes contain 100 milliliters of tomato sauce, one tablespoon of tomato paste, one garlic clove, one-fourth of a red onion, two anchovies, and herbs.
Norris’ meals show that healthy eating doesn’t have to be boring and it definitely doesn’t require giving up our favorite foods. It just might require more attention to portion size and a little creativity.
Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more.
What calories look like in different foods
Food calories come in different shapes and sizes — a chocolate bar can pack more calories than one kilogram of vegetables, even though they have extremely different nutritional values. Here, we’ll look at what 200 Calories look like as different foods, as well as discuss the basics about calories. The results will surprise you.
So, what is a calorie? Well, a calorie is a unit of measure for energy. The physical calorie is defined as the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of one gram of water by one degree Celsius at a pressure of one atmosphere. However, nutritionists often use “Calorie” as a term for 1000 calories — the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of one kilogram of water by one degree Celsius.
The large Calorie is thus equal to 1,000 small calories or one kilocalorie. But the main takeaway is that a calorie is not related to nutrients, such as carbs, or food quantities — it simply refers to the energy contained (in food, in this case). In spite of its non-official status, the large Calorie is still widely used as a unit of food energy. The small calorie is also often used for measurements in chemistry, although the amounts involved are typically recorded in kilocalories.
In many diets today, the calorie is regarded as the end-all, be-all measure of how much you can eat. According to the US Department of Agriculture, the average adult needs to consume about 2,000–2,500 Calories to maintain their weight, though that number can differ significantly based on physical activity and other dietary and environmental factors.
However, as I said earlier, the calorie just measures the energy contained in foods. This means that you could consume the same number of calories eating eat a well-balanced meal (say, a cooked vegetable meal) or by eating some candy bars — obviously, one is not as healthy as the other. So while keeping an eye on calorie intake is important, there are also other factors to consider. The point of the article is to show you just how different 200 calories can be.
Doritos (41 grams) vs Apples (385 grams)
Fried Bacon (34 grams) vs Avocado (125 grams)Gummy Bears
51 grams = 200 CaloriesTootsie Pops
68 grams = 200 Calories
For example, you can have 570 grams of baby carrots, 588 grams of broccoli or 553 grams of melon — each has 200 Calories. But then again, so does 60 mL of Baileys cream, a bite of blackberry pie, and a 54-gram peanut power bar.
It’s no definite standard, but as a rule of thumb, raw, healthier foods have fewer calories per gram than more condensed, more intensely-processed unhealthy foods such as sweets and bacon. Have just 4 tootsie pops — BAM, that’s 200 calories. Same goes for 17 gummy bears. Canola oil is the most calorically condensed thing here, with 200 Calories in a mere 23 grams — little more than a teaspoon.
Bailey’s Irish Cream
60 ml = 200 CaloriesCoca-Cola
496 ml = 200 CaloriesWhole Milk
333 ml = 200 Calories
But it’s not just foods that can have lots of calories. As I’ve said, it takes just a bit more than a shot of Baileys to reach 200 Calories, and alcohol generally tends to pack a lot of calories. That’s why people take drinks of spirits to ‘warm up’. Half a liter of Coca-Cola does the trick, while it takes only 333 milliliters of milk to get to 200 Calories.
Here are a few more examples; hopefully these can provide a general guideline for foods that tend to have a lot of calories.