Repose Frontal Mask
USES OF THE REPOSE FRONTAL MASK:
You can overlay the Repose Frontal Mask (also called the RF Mask or Repose Expression Frontal View Mask) over a photograph of your own face to help you apply makeup, to aid in evaluating your face for facial surgery, or simply to see how much your face conforms to the measurements of the Golden Ratio.
REPOSE FRONTAL MASK OVERVIEW:
The frontal view of the face is the most important view because we generally perceive (or view) each other (particularly when we interact socially) from the front not from the side. Our evaluation of how human another face appears occurs from the frontal view. Therefore this view is MOST critical for our evaluation of another individuals humanness (Or Attractiveness). If the face were a song, one could think of the front view as the melody and the side view as the harmony or overtones.
In the frontal view, the vertical relationships between the facial components as well as the horizontal relationships between the facial components can both be assessed.
Note: In the lateral view the vertical relationships between the facial components are seen as well, however the view of the front to back (anterior-posterior) relationships between the facial components replaces the view of the horizontal relationships between the facial components.
REPOSE FRONTAL MASK APPLICATION PROTOCOL:
(How to apply the Repose Frontal Beauty Mask to your own photo)
1. THIS IS WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- A camera, and a friend to take your picture
- Access to a copy machine which can re-size pictures
- Sheets of clear acetate (A4 or Letter) to make copies of the mask
- A ruler to measure your face
- A print of the mask: Click here for a copy of the Repose Frontal Beauty Mask for your personal use
You’ll have to take a picture especially for this experiment, because it’s important to make sure your head is tilted to match the grid of the mask. This is simple to do, but important to get right. Carefully follow the instructions and alignment diagrams, below.
2. TAKING THE PHOTO OF YOUR FACE:
A. PROPER HEAD POSITION / ALIGNMENT FOR TAKING THE REPOSE FRONTAL PHOTOGRAPH
Face directly into the camera so that your face isn’t turned right or left even slightly. Place the tips of your index fingers gently against the holes in your ears, keeping your fingers straight and horizontal. Do not put your fingers into your ears. Now, tilt your head up or down until the bottoms of your right and left irises (the round colored part of your eye) are aligned on the top of an imaginary line connecting the tops of your index fingers, as seen through the camera lens/viewfinder. Let the person taking the picture tell you when you’re in the right position. (see alignment diagram)
With a relaxed face and without smiling, place your back teeth together so that they barely touch and bring your lips together, until they touch gently. Note: Your head will seem to be tilted slightly down.
B. CAPTURING THE IMAGE FOR THE PHOTOGRAPH
Now without moving your head, put your hands down and take the picture while your face is in exactly that position.
3. DEVELOPING THE PHOTOGRAPH
The photo size should ideally be as large as 18 X 13cm or 20 X 26cm, (5″ X 7″ or 8″ X 10″). A smaller image will be much less clear and accurate.
4. CREATING THE CORRECT SIZE MASK FOR YOUR PHOTOGRAPH:
On the photo of your face:
Create a line connecting the center of your right and left pupils (the round black center part of your eyes). This is your pupil line.
Create a second line connecting the right and left corners of your mouth. This is your lip line.
Create a third line connecting the middle (or center) of your pupil line with the middle (or center) of your lip line. This is your facial vertical line. (see diagram)
Take your copy of the mask and enlarge or shrink it on a copy machine until the facial vertical line (the vertical distance from the lip line to the pupil line) on the mask is the same as that distance on your face photo. Click on the image above to see larger version of the Repose Frontal Mask.
Copy the final correctly sized mask image onto a sheet of clear acetate.
5. APPLYING THE MASK TO THE PHOTOGRAPH:
Place the clear acetate mask over your face photo and match up the pupil line, the lip line and the facial vertical line of the mask with the pupil line, the lip line and the facial vertical line of the photo of your face.
You can make a few copies of the mask which are progressively slightly larger and slightly smaller than the original acetate. You can use these to see if you can increase the degree of overall fit of your face photograph by slightly adjusting the size of the mask.
When you have found the size that most closely fits your face photo you can take a closer look at your overall fit to the mask.
- The Beauty Equation
- The test that tells you how beautiful you are: Six of our writers were brave enough to take it. Are you?
- Evaluation of Facial Beauty Using Anthropometric Proportions
- The app that rates how attractive your selfies are
The Beauty Equation
During the European Renaissance, renowned artists and architects used an equation known as the “golden ratio” to map out their masterpieces. Thousands of years later, scientists adopted this mathematical formula to help explain why some people are considered beautiful…and others are not.
Dr. Kendra Schmid, an assistant professor of biostatistics, uses the golden ratio and 29 other measurements to study facial sex appeal . These measurements are calculated to determine a person’s beauty on a scale of 1 to 10. What does she measure?
A. First, Dr. Schmid measures the length and width of the face. Then, she divides the length by the width. The ideal result—as defined by the golden ratio—is roughly 1.6, which means a beautiful person’s face is about 1 1/2 times longer than it is wide.
B. Next, Dr. Schmid measures three segments of the face—from the forehead hairline to a spot between the eyes, from between the eyes to the bottom of the nose, and from the bottom of the nose to the bottom of the chin. If the numbers are equal, a person is considered more beautiful.
C. Finally, statisticians measure other facial features to determine symmetry and proportion. On a perfect face, Dr. Schmid says the length of an ear is equal to the length the nose, and the width of an eye is equal to the distance between the eyes.
Most people score between 4 and 6, and Dr. Schmid says no one has ever been a perfect 10.
How do you measure true beauty? Leave a comment below.
Several are trying to quantify beauty and /or ugly as a novelty. These apps work by essentially comparing a person’s face to a mask of a desired face. It appears that the desired face is a golden ratio mask (developed by Stephen Marquardt). However, although the mask might be helpful in some cases, there are clearly many faces which do not conform to this aesthetic that are considered beautiful.
So do these apps really work? Another question might be is beauty quantifiable? Can you type in a person’s facial distances into a computer and determine how attractive they are.?
In a word, no.
Despite the efforts of some, symmetry, proportion and other facial features are not quantifiable. If you take an attractive face like a young Elizabeth Taylor and try and make her more perfect by making her face symmetric, you notice that her face does not look as attractive and looks like an alien, at least to the human eye. On a computer though, she looks more beautiful.
Ultimately, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Many of us find beauty in others with traits of ours we admire or want to promote. So don’t worry, your ego shouldn’t be bruised over a phone app.
The test that tells you how beautiful you are: Six of our writers were brave enough to take it. Are you?
- Caprice Bourret ‘deeply disgusted’ by ex DOI partner Hamish Gaman as she sensationally QUITS show… while ITV are forced to refute bullying claims
- Love Island SPOILER ‘He’s been lying to my face!’ Siannise is left RAGING as Rebecca reveals she enjoyed bedtime cuddles with Luke T
- Khloe Kardashian shows off her plump pout with sister Kourtney as she leaves ‘birthday party of the year’ for Kylie Jenner’s daughter Stormi
- Lucy Mecklenburgh displays her blossoming bump as she is joined by her nearest and dearest for swanky baby shower
- Manchester City star Riyad Mahrez ‘is dating RHOC star Dawn Ward’s daughter Taylor after splitting from his ex-model wife Rita’ New couple?
- Time for a spring refresh? 5 homeware hacks you NEED to know Ad Feature
- Love Island SPOILER: Jess opts to KISS Mike during challenge… prompting furious partner Luke M to brand her ‘disrespectful’
- Love Island SPOILER: TWO Islanders have been dumped from the villa… as they make way for 12 new bombshells in Casa Amor Four couples were at risk
- A ray of sunshine! The Queen brightens up an otherwise rainy day in a baby blue ensemble as she attends church service in Norfolk Radiant
- Dancing On Ice star Libby Clegg forced to PULL OUT of latest show after being struck down with vomiting bug Caprice has also quit the show
- Chloe Ferry pours her curves into a perilously low-cut unitard and mesh stockings as she hits the town with PVC-clad Sophie Kasaei Looking good
- Paloma Faith looks every inch the villain for her role as Bet Sykes in Batman spin-off Pennyworth while filming scene in prison warden costume
- Carol Vorderman puts on an animated display as she wraps up in padded coat and blue jeans for presenting her BBC radio show in Cardiff city centre
- Cardi B puts on a VERY raunchy show in a glittering bodysuit with racy suspenders at pre-Super Bowl gig She put on an incredible performance
- Nadine Coyle puts on a VERY raunchy display in a busty latex mini dress and knee-high leather boots as she struts her stuff during sizzling performance
- EastEnders’ Jessie Wallace ‘shocked male crew members with a saucy outburst… before being suspended for boozing on set’ Shock claims
- How to be the best version of YOU: Top 10 solutions to health and wellbeing problems that will leave you feeling AND looking good Ad Feature
- TALK OF THE TOWN: Georgia ‘Toff’ Toffolo ‘is secretly engaged to millionaire aristocrat George Cottrel’ who was Nigel Farage’s right hand man
- Rebekah Vardy tenderly cradles baby daughter Olivia as she takes newborn tot to see husband Jamie play football for the first time
- Lady Gaga puts on cheeky display in black thong as she snuggles up to her mystery man ‘Michael’ in Miami ahead of pre-Super Bowl performance… after sharing a NYE kiss
- X Factor host Dermot O’Leary reveals he is expecting his first child with wife Dee Koppang… as she debuts her baby bump at BAFTA party
- Can glycolic acid give you brighter, smoother skin in just seven days? Meet the supercharged treatment that delivers professional results at home Ad Feature
- Pamela Anderson SPLITS from her movie producer husband Jon Peters after only 12 DAYS of marriage as the couple ‘take some time apart to re-evaluate’
- Meet the new Casa Amor Love Islanders! A pageant queen, a butler in the buff and three models… the ‘sexiest singletons yet’ set to arrive (and almost ALL have eyes on Luke M)
- ‘We’re treated like SKIVVIES’: Harry and Meghan’s Scotland Yard protection officers ‘claim they’re sent on errands like picking up royals’ groceries
- Sienna Miller, 38, looks radiant in cream striped dress as she is joined by ‘fiancé’ Lucas Zwirner, 29, at Writers Guild Awards Cute couple
- ‘I’ve got nothing to lose’: Watch Blake Lively transform from girl next door into deadly assassin in her toughest role to date Ad Feature
- Coronation Street boss hints at ‘plans to bring back Julie Goodyear’s legendary character Bet Lynch’ after a 17 year absence Legendary
- Sylvester Stallone, 73, showcases his new silver locks as he takes daughters Sophia, 23, and Sistine, 21, to dinner Family fun
- Kimberley Garner shows off her cleavage in a sexy gold mini dress at Sports Illustrated Super Bowl party Glamorous
- Charlotte Crosby and Ryan Gallagher pack on the PDA as they return to I’m A Celebrity for finale and reveal their romance is going full steam ahead
- Kylie Jenner wheels out THAT giant inflatable toddler head as she brings back STORMI WORLD for daughter’s lavish second birthday bash
- Kaz Crossley and Anthony Joshua don their glad rags to attend rapper Krept’s 30th birthday in London (who turns the party into a gender reveal)
- The Queen blamed HERSELF for her 1992 ‘annus horribilis’: Monarch asked ‘where did I go wrong’ in year of Prince Charles and Andrew’s marriage breakdown
- Coronation Street’s Alison King ‘caught kissing MARRIED co-star Mikey North at the NTAs’… before being ‘escorted’ out amid claims she was ‘drunk’
- Lily Allen looks chic in a green and blue lace gown as she and beau David Harbour lead the stars at Chanel’s pre-BAFTAs 2020 party
- Katherine Jenkins enjoys a lunch date with husband Andrew… after schoolgirl, 15, admitted to mugging the singer when she intervened in ‘violent’ street robbery
- Katie Price RETURNS to rehab as she is spotted outside The Priory… just days after returning from visiting terminally ill mum Amy in Spain
- Heidi Klum wraps up in a huge padded coat and a tracksuit as she gets to work filming Germany’s Next Topmodel Cosy
- Zoe Kravitz wraps up warm on a low key date night with her husband Karl Glusman in London The star cut a low-key figure on Saturday
- Prince Andrew called his ‘victim’ Virginia Roberts ‘a very sick girl’ days after she described her abuse at hands of Jeffrey Epstein
- Newly-single Ashley Roberts puts on a leggy display in a patterned burgundy dress as she steps out for dinner with pals… following split from Giovanni Pernice
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle promote Instagram page which focuses on ‘acts of kindness’ and ‘uplifting stories of community from across the globe’
- BAFTAs 2020: Florence Pugh wows in a red mini dress as she joins Little Women co-stars Saoirse Ronan and Laura Dern at a Nominees Party
- Jourdan Dunn reveals she’s ENGAGED to her ‘life partner’ Dion Hamilton as she shares a glimpse of her dazzling ‘£22,000’ diamond ring
- Jimmy Tarbuck reveals he is being tested for prostate cancer after his upcoming 80th birthday and close friend Tom Jones is helping him through health scare
- Lady Gaga says she ‘better hear no lip-syncing’ during Sunday’s Super Bowl… while performing in Miami Just hours away
- Chrissy Teigen is awestruck as she brings John Legend and Luna to Stormi Webster’s ultra-luxe second birthday party Adorable
- Joanna Lumley and Jo Brand ‘front-runners to replace Sandi Toksvig on the Great British Bake Off’… after the host shockingly quit the C4 show
- Jessie J reveals she enjoys cooking and cleaning more than sex with her reunited beau Channing Tatum Jessie J revealed some of her favourite activities
- Paul McCartney’s wife Nancy Shevell, 60, dazzles in a scarlet wrap dress on dinner date with husband, 77, in Miami as the pair attend Casamigos party
- The Crown: Olivia Colman portrays a giddy Queen Elizabeth II as she joins Tobias Menzies to film Princess Anne’s show jumping scenes for season four
- Gwyneth Paltrow sizzles in sequin Ralph And Russo suit to support hubby Brad Falchuk at WGA Awards where he gets Valentine Davies prize
- Louis Tomlinson admits he ‘isn’t ready’ to make up with One Direction band mate Zayn Malik and says he thinks the singer has been ‘disrespectful’
- Caprice Bourret ‘QUITS Dancing On Ice after struggling with split from partner Hamish Gaman’… after he cryptically claimed ‘the truth will out’
- Kylie Jenner and ex-Travis Scott chat happily together at daughter Stormi’s 2nd birthday bash as they continue to amicably co-parent the tot
- Gaten Matarazzo of Stranger Things reveals his fourth Cleidocranial Dysplasia surgery was a ‘complete success’ The actor suffers from the condition
- Jenna Dewan shows off her growing baby bump after picking up her daughter Everly from practice Jenna looked effortlessly stylish
- SAS: Who Dares Wins star Ant Middleton admits he CHEATED on Everest challenge by flying to a luxury hotel and getting ‘smashed’ – leaving his film crew in tents at 17,000ft
- Katy Perry models Marilyn Monroe hairdo and lei as she poses with Minnie Mouse and goofs off with Ryan Seacrest at Disney resort in Hawaii
- Kaia Gerber shows off her toned figure i a crop top and leggings after a weekend sweat session in West Hollywood Kaia looked incredible in the ensemble
- Game of Thrones star Emilia Clarke reveals why she WON’T Google herself or take selfies… and how it’s become her ‘recipe for success’ Feeling good
- Roxanne Pallett’s honeymoon dreams are extinguished as her fireman husband Jason Carrion is called into work… after the couple married in secret
- Natasha Lyonne puts a punk chic twist on the little black dress as she matches pregnant pal Chloe Sevigny at bi-coastal Writers Guild Awards
- Caitlyn Jenner cuts a cool look in black leather jacket as she steps out for dinner with Sophia Hutchins in West Hollywood Chic
- Christie Brinkley, 66, sizzles in sexy ringmaster costume as she performs with daughter Alexa Ray Joel, 34, at Big Apple Circus in NYC
- Demi Lovato joins Dan + Shay onstage Bud Light Super Bowl Music Fest… ahead of singing National Anthem The 27-year-old pop star rocked Versace leggings
- Mark Wahlberg’s wife Rhea ‘paralyzed with fear’ over him taking flights after tragic death of Kobe Bryant in helicopter crash Struggle
- Guns N’ Roses pays tribute to Kobe Bryant and his daughter Gianna and dedicates performance to the victims of the helicopter crash at the Bud Light Super Bowl Fest
- The Masked Singer: Unicorn is revealed to be The Scissor Sisters’ Jake Shears and Duck is Britpop legend Skin in DOUBLE vote-off
- Madonna, 61, leaves her concert in London after apologising to fans for cancelling more shows and revealing she’s doing six hours of rehab a day
- Reese Witherspoon shows off petite curves in sports leggings during jog and later in denim mini-dress at her son’s soccer practice Taking it easy
- ‘I don’t want to put all of myself out there for the world to see’: Maddison Brown on life after being spotted kissing Liam Hemsworth
- Hailey Bieber flaunts her toned legs in denim shorts after a relaxing spa day in Los Angeles Hailey showcased her toned physique
- Paris Hilton rocks a plunging sequin dress as she takes to the decks to bust out some tunes at the Rolling Stone Super Bowl party in Miami
- Lily-Rose Depp looks effortlessly chic as she dazzles in a sheer gold sequinned dress at Chanel’s pre-BAFTAs 2020 party Chic
- Claire Foy stuns in a plunging black silk jumpsuit as she joins Game Of Thrones star Emilia Clarke at Chanel’s pre-BAFTAs 2020 party
- TALK OF THE TOWN: Is Jude Law, proud dad of one of this country’s most sought-after young models, about to score a six?
- Kourtney Kardashian flaunts her cleavage as she heads to the farmers market on outing with gal pal Larsa Pippen… after their ‘movie night’
- Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson and Oprah Winfrey get in a brisk workout session before the Super Bowl The two went for a run on treadmills
- Kristin Chenoweth shows off petite figure in black flared pants and matching crop-top with puffy sleeves as she’s honored at LGBTQ charity in NYC
- Olivia Culpo takes the plunge in fringe mini as she smolders with NFL beau Christian McCaffrey at Super Saturday Night bash in Miami
- Tina Fey is the picture of business-chic in blue double-breasted suit at Writers Guild Awards in NYC Tina exuded glamour on the outing
- Greta Gerwig and Noah Baumbach holds hands while looking stylish in suits at the 2020 Writers Guild Awards in New York City
- Jack Fincham is every inch the doting father as he takes his newborn baby daughter Blossom out in her pram for the first time in sweet clip Adorable
- Fancy seeing you here! Locals are left stunned as Tom Hanks dines at a restaurant in rural New South Wales during downtime from filming new Elvis biopic
- That’s not very fancy! Iggy Azalea reveals she suffered an embarrassing fall while shopping in public at Sephora Oops
- Bindi Irwin takes a break from wedding planning to enjoy a family beach trip with mother Terri, brother Robert and fiancé Chandler Powell
- Peter Crouch ‘scores new BBC One prime time entertainment show inspired by James Corden’s The Late Late Show’ One to watch
- The Greatest Dancer: Cheryl shares rare insight into life at home with son Bear, 2, as she reveals he will already be copying one of her act’s moves
- Lizzo rocks a white swimsuit for yacht day and twerk competition in Miami with bikini-clad friends ahead of Super Bowl LIV Work it
- Imogen Thomas wows in a leather mini skirt and thigh-high boots as she continues to flaunt her January weight loss… after vowing she’s still got ‘more to lose’
- Kim Kardashian’s endorsement company claims to be taking offers for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle and asks for commercial requests from its clients
- Princess Eugenie dons a chic printed shirt as she heads to the hairdressers… amid claims her sister Beatrice will ‘marry in London’
- Eiza Gonzalez highlights her cleavage in a low-cut blouse as she attends the AT&T Super Saturday Night concert in Miami Chic
- Breaking Bad’s Aaron Paul and Bryan Cranston play bartender and serve up their new mezcal brand at bar in Miami ahead of Super Bowl
- Prince Charles is caught in eco row after flying 125 miles in the Queen’s helicopter before riding in a Bentley for a speech on cutting carbon emissions
- Tamara Ecclestone is forced to close her children’s skincare company and her chain of hair salons after the US style treatment failed to catch on
- Gillian Anderson looks chic as she joins Laura Dern and Kathleen Kennedy at pre-BAFTAs Fellowship lunch at London’s Savoy
- BAFTAs 2020: Joaquin Phoenix looks dapper in a tailored suit as he joins his Joker co-star Zazie Beetz at a Nominees Party ahead of event
- Gemma Arterton oozes sartorial chic in a fitted corset top and culottes as she arrives at Chanel’s pre-BAFTAs 2020 party Glam
- Hugh Grant, 59, is every bit the gentleman in a dapper ensemble as he arrives with wife Anna Eberstein, 36, for Chanel’s pre-BAFTAs party
- Helen McCrory, 51, wows in a metallic bronze feathered dress as she joins husband Damian Lewis, 48, at Chanel’s pre-BAFTAs 2020 party
- The Real’s Adrienne Bailon reunites with co-host Loni Love at NAACP Image Awards luncheon The talented twosome looked in good spirits
- Hilary Duff is a star in a striped skirt and cream jumper as she stops by #BlogHer20 health event to promote using natural beauty products
- Jay-Z defends his partnership with the NFL ahead of Super Bowl PSA about police brutality, says he can handle ‘negative press’ from his fallout with Colin Kaepernick
- Love Island’s Francesca Allen looks effortlessly chic in a beige shirt dress as she enjoys a night out with friends in London
- Love Island: Dumped islander Eve Gale says she ‘misses Jess more than ever’ as she shares sizzling post of the pair in matching red bikinis
- Nick Lachey has ‘not read a single word’ of Jessica Simpson’s new memoir… after she let loose on their marriage and divorce
- Jodie Turner-Smith is having a girl! Actress accidentally lets the gender slip on The Graham Norton Show
- Christina Aguilera challenges Spanish songstress Rosalia to a friendly game of Mario Kart during a chance hangout in Los Angeles
- Michael Barrymore pool death ‘was MURDER’: Detective says Stuart Lubbock was ‘raped and deliberately killed’ as he launches probe into tragedy 18 years ago
- Eva Mendes, 45, takes the high road when an Instagram troll says ‘she’s getting old’: ‘Thank God I’m getting old. That means I’m still here’
- Emily Ratajkowski flaunts her taut tummy in a crop top and miniskirt as she joins the stars at Michael Rubin’s Fanatics Super Bowl Party
- Saturday Night Live: J.J. Watt is The Pilot Hunk as the NFL star parodies The Bachelor in his first hosting stint
- TALK OF THE TOWN: Catherine Zeta Jones shows off Celtic genes to visitors at her £4million mansion with Welsh trinkets
- Julianne Hough and her husband Brooks Laich share a laugh as they step out for breakfast together… amid rumours of their separation
- Kate Ferdinand breaks down in tears while Rio insists there’s ‘no manual to become a stepmum’ in teaser for stepfamily documentary
- TALK OF THE TOWN: He may not like blenders, but he’s not averse to mixing up his love life! Gavin Rossdale spotted with mystery blonde after splitting with Russian playboy model girlfriend over £1,000 blender
- Ciara hides her baby bump under textured silver blazer dress as she leads the pack of celebrities and athletes at the NFL Honors in Miami
- ‘Rude and downright embarrassing’: Jim Carrey is BLASTED by fans for joke implying Margot Robbie’s successful career is thanks to her looks
- Katie Holmes and daughter Suri Cruise bundle up in cosy puffer jackets as they enjoy a mother and daughter day out in NYC
- The 1975 cancel Laneway gig after singer Matt Healy is hospitalised and ‘too weak’ to play after coming down with a ‘serious sickness’
- Love Island’s Shaughna Phillips fails to impress MIC star Sam Thompson in VERY awkward Celebs Go Dating clip… a year before her villa stint
- Jennifer Lopez shows off her stunning abs while rehearsing for her Super Bowl halftime performance… after Bad Bunny is added to the lineup
- Off for a spin, ma’am? The Queen gets behind the wheel of her Range Rover as he prepares to end her annual Sandringham stay
- Sienna Miller, 38, gets engaged for the third time to 29-year-old toyboy Lucas Zwirner… but seems shy about showing off her ring
- Prince Andrew, the world is watching: Four of Jeffrey Epstein’s victims write an open letter to the Duke urging him to talk to the FBI for the sake of ‘your daughters’
- Mick Jagger seduced me when I was 15: Actress Rae Dawn reveals how she spent night with Rolling Stone when she was underage and he was married to Bianca
- Victoria Beckham, 45, bears an uncanny resemblance to son Romeo, 17, as she shares sweet throwback snap of her younger self
- The Greatest Dancer: Cheryl’s group The Queens and Todrick’s commercial act Ryan are the FIRST to be voted off
- Demi Lovato leaves Miami nightclub with a mystery man at 6AM… ahead of Sundays Super Bowl performance
- Ed Sheeran looks disappointed as he and wife Cherry Seaborn watch their beloved football team Ipswich Town lose 4-1 to Peterborough United
- Sarah Michelle Gellar thanks a friend for being the inadvertent reason she’s spent 20 years with her beloved husband Freddie Prinze Jr.
- ‘I was such a fraud!’: Newly-unearthed clip shows the moment Meghan Markle admits she fibbed to casting directors about being in an actor’s union so she could land a part
- ELIZABETH DAY: Andrew’s cancer ‘joke’ was bad enough… but it’s timing just days after pictures emerged of him arm-in-arm with Virginia Roberts made it even worse
- Christine McGuinness is casual in a cosy pink fur jacket as she arrives in Manchester… after urging Strictly Come Dancing bosses to sign her up
- Gang of Four guitarist Andy Gill, 64, dies two months after finishing tour as band pay tribute to ‘genius’ who was ‘one of the best’
- Kimberley Garner flaunts her incredible figure in a plunging blue thong swimsuit as she takes a dip in the sea during downtime in Miami
- Love Island: Latest Casa Amor bombshell REVEALED as ripped, bikini-loving events manager Natalia Zoppa, 20, from Manchester
- Gabrielle Union flaunts her fabulous legs as she dances in the rain during Miami photoshoot
- Post Malone spills $50k cash as he hits Miami nightclub after Super Bowl weekend performance
- Revealed: Prince Andrew made sick ‘gag’ about breast cancer that is ‘too offensive to be repeated’ in boorish texts to his friend Jonathan Rowland
- Rita Ora delightedly unveils her new ‘Zog’ neck tattoo… as she reveals the Albanian word is the pet name given to her by beloved mum Vera
- Kylie Jenner says she and Stormi were ‘meant for each other’ as she shares tender throwbacks in tribute to her daughter’s second birthday
- Una Healy poses in rare loved-up snap with beau David Breen before impressing fans by speaking Swahili as they continue sun-soaked Zanzibar holiday
- Selena Gomez continues to move on from ’emotionally abusive’ relationship with Justin Bieber as she packs away bikes they rode during brief reunion
- Nicki Minaj will earn $125K to host a post-Super Bowl party… as stars cash in big on the lavish Miami football festivities Party
- Feel free to finally try a sip of alcohol’: Kate Beckinsale wishes look-alike daughter Lily a happy 21st birthday
- Montana Brown shows ex Elliott Reeder what he’s missing as she shares SIZZLING bikini-clad selfie
- Jade Thirlwall sends Little Mix fans wild after posting a cryptic snap of herself recording vocals in the studio as she teases a new sixth album
- Heavily pregnant Nicole Trunfio puts her bump on display as she poses completely nude during glamorous desert photo shoot
- Myleene Klass looks effortlessly chic as she rocks a stylish fedora and trench coat for solo commute to her radio duties in London
- Cameron Diaz keeps it casual in a cardigan as she hits up a facial spa after welcoming firstborn daughter Raddix last month
- Love Island’s Casa Amor FIRST LOOK: The relationship-testing second villa is revealed ahead of the arrival of a new batch of sexy singletons
- Aretha Franklin’s niece relinquishes role as singer’s executor due to ongoing ‘rift in the family’
- Rachel Lindsay and LaLa Anthony indulge in fast food treats at Bootsy On The Water Party With McDonald’s And Post Malone
- Friends of US attorney who slammed Prince Andrew say he’ll ‘ruthlessly pursue all leads’ in Jeffrey Epstein probe – as he’s compared to Chuck Rhoades from Billions
- Justin Bieber mourns the loss of Kobe Bryant with $1200 tribute art to the basketball legend
- ‘Wedding throwback!’ Kate Ferdinand fangirls as she attends Ashanti concert in London… five months after husband Rio surprised her with the R&B icon at their Turkey nuptials
- Kobe Bryant’s prom date Brandy says she’ll ‘never understand’ his death as she offers her condolences nearly a week after loss of the NBA All-Star and his daughter Gianna, 13
- Diddy suits up in classic black as he and others pay tribute to Kobe Bryant during Shaq’s Funhouse party for Super Bowl weekend
- Love Island’s Molly-Mae Hague looks sensational as she models several different looks while shooting her latest clothing collection in LA
- Rodrigo Alves showcases the results of her latest surgery in a busty pink sequinned dress as she steps out in Istanbul
- Star Wars: Phantom Menace actor Jake Lloyd who starred as young Anakin Skywalker is struggling with paranoid schizophrenia, his mother says
- Piers Morgan blasts BBC’s Horrible Histories children’s show for ‘trashing Britain’ with Brexit-themed song
- Harry Styles CANCELS pre-Super Bowl show in Florida due to severe storm warnings… as heartbroken fans hit out at event organisers for poor safety conditions amid shock evacuation
- Fern Britton and Phil Vickery ‘often weren’t on speaking terms and their recent separation has been on the cards for years’… following the death of the TV star’s father Tony
- Tamara Ecclestone beams as she hits the ski slopes with her Jay and Sophia… after being forced to make ‘difficult decision’ to close two of her businesses
- Emily Atack and Jack Fincham ‘caught KISSING at the NTAs and couldn’t keep their hands off each other’… days after the Love Island star became a new dad
- DOI’s Caprice Bourret displays painful injuries from training with new pro Oscar Peter… just hours after ex- skating partner Hamish Gaman insisted ‘he’s not okay’ amid bitter split
- Jim Carrey reveals he WOULD be happy to portray The Mask again but only if a ‘crazy visionary filmmaker’ was making a sequel
- Declan Donnelly praises Supervet Noel Fitzpatrick for saving his beloved daschund Rocky’s life after he was savaged by a fox Pet dog
- Cheryl gets to work alongside her fellow Greatest Dancer captains… with stunning new mum Alesha Dixon getting her dancing shoes back on
- Frankie Essex showcases her one stone weight loss in a form-fitting black mini dress as she enjoys a night out in London
- ‘I’m not okay:’ Dancing On Ice’s Hamish Gaman insists the ‘truth will come out’ amid THAT Caprice Bourret split… as he finally breaks his silence
- Michelle Heaton unveils her new wrist inking after adding a simple ‘M’ to her tattoo collection during Bali trip… following her hospitalisation for ‘severe dehydration’
- Love Island’s Sophie and Mike are branded ‘SNAKES’ by fans after they ‘tactically’ vote for Siannise and Luke in brutal compatibility task… leaving them at risk of being DUMPED
- Love Island: Three models heading into Casa Amor are revealed… as bosses hope for fireworks as the Islanders are faced with temptation
- Nathalie Emmanuel cuts a quirky figure in a graphic tee and floaty skirt as she joins stars at Fast and Furious Road to F9 concert
- Christine McGuinness looks incredible in a VERY busty scarlet red dress for glam appearance at awards bash in Ireland Wow
- Kate Beckinsale, 46, risks a wardrobe malfunction in a VERY short PVC skirt with a feathered coat following Hollywood night out
- Gary Kemp, 60, cuts a dapper figure as he enjoys date night with wife Lauren Barber, 42… after admitting he’s ‘fighting’ for a Spandau Ballet reunion
- Jessica Biel shares gushing birthday message to Justin Timberlake after marriage was rocked by his PDA scandal: ‘You somehow grow up without growing old’
- Jenna Dewan floats in a bath and covers her bump in lace for breathtaking maternity photos…weeks before her due date Stunning
- Best-selling author of more than 50 mystery novels and ‘queen of suspense’ Mary Higgins Clark dies at 92 Tragic
- Love Island’s Chloe Crowhurst puts on a busty display in a green mini dress as she enjoys girls’ night out
- Oh, baby! Heavily pregnant Nicole Trunfio shows off her burgeoning bump in a tight jumpsuit as she poses in the snow
- Emma Roberts opts for a risqué look as she goes braless in sexy black top with flared jeans for low-key LA dinner
- Taylor Swift reveals ‘there’s a part of me that’s definitely not ready to have kids’ in new doco… where she sparks engagement rumors with Joe Alwyn
- Ciara dazzles in black sequins as Russell Wilson puts on a dapper display for date night in Miami… after announcing third pregnancy
- Khloe Kardashian enjoys a cheerful morning with True in $12,500 playhouse that’s just like the one Kylie Jenner bought for Stormi
- Vanessa Bryant posts heartbreaking message honoring Kobe and Gianna after a tearful LeBron James and grieving LA Lakers paid tribute to them at their first game since the NBA legend died in a helicopter crash
- Jasmine Sanders, Kate Bock and Danielle Herrington stun at Super Bowl party… but ‘disappointed’ Harry Styles has to call off his performance due to ‘a severe storm’
- Megan Thee Stallion serves body in double denim as she goes on Chanel shopping spree in Miami ahead of Super Bowl
- Tamara Ecclestone forced to make ‘difficult decision’ to close two of her businesses… one month after her home was hit by a £50million raid
- Meghan Markle doesn’t come close to Wallis Simpson ‘in terms of style and sophistication’, says Edward VIII’s former secretary
- Terry Crews apologizes to Gabrielle Union for ‘invalidating’ her experiences of racism and sexism on AGT set: ‘I should have at the very least understood’
- Taylor Swift accepts Nikki Glaser’s apology after the comedian joked that she was ‘too skinny’ in her Netflix documentary Miss Americana
- Chrissy Teigen tries to get daughter Luna to watch a kissing scene in It Takes Two much to the toddler’s disapproval
- Police arrest woman, 47, and a man, 21, over £50m burglary at Tamara Ecclestone’s £70m Kensington home – as two other suspects remain in custody
- Dakota Johnson makes a hilarious surprise cameo as St. Vincent’s girlfriend in the Sundance film The Nowhere Inn
- ‘Love you endlessly’: Rebecca Judd pens a heartwarming tribute to her daughter Billie on her sixth birthday and shares sweet throwback snaps from when she was a newborn
- Rihanna proves to be her own best advertisement as she strips down to show off the latest Savage X Fenty collection Raunchy
- Kanye West looks glum while leaving his Calabasas office just days before his Superbowl Sunday Service in Miami
- Rebel Wilson reveals she was sexually harassed… and says she once had a STALKER who planned to lock her on his rural Victorian farm until she ‘loved him’
- Debi Mazar says her best friend Madonna’s toyboy Ahlamalik Williams, 25, is ‘lovely’ and ‘sweet’
Evaluation of Facial Beauty Using Anthropometric Proportions
Keeping that in mind, there is a need for clinicians who work in a maxillofacial region to understand and become familiar with guidelines for esthetic standards and parameters of the soft tissue .
Bashour found that there are four most important cues determining attractiveness: averageness, sexual dimorphism, youthfulness, and symmetry. He pointed out that a surgeon who is planning facial cosmetic, plastic, or reconstructive surgery can potentially gain both profound comprehension and better quality surgical results by appreciating these findings.
Division of the face into thirds and fifths is commonly used photogrammetric method for assessing facial symmetry. In our study, all of these measures were uniform in the group of attractive females. In 2009, Sforza et al. examined the difference between two groups of women, 24 attractive ones with 71 “normal” (healthy reference women), and obtained similar results . Attractive females had several “neonatal” characteristics, such as relatively large forehead and a rounded and smaller face in general; they stated that “babyness” is the characteristic that separates them from the normal group. In our research, attractive females also had a smaller face, considering majority of parameters of the face.
Mack was the first to demonstrate the practical application of ideal proportions for improving facial aesthetics. He discussed the importance of treating the dentition to the face based on the divine proportion. According to him, the lower 1/3 of the face significantly influences facial appearance. As proof, he stresses the public’s preoccupation with fullness of the lips and the importance of a pleasing smile. These so-called Vitruvian thirds in the lower face have to be adjusted to a 30% upper lip, 70% lower lip-chin proportion. In our study, attractive group showed harmonized lower third of the face, with lower facial index (subnasale-stomion, stomion-menton) in accordance with this beauty cannon (30% : 70%). Therefore, this ideal ratio should be suitable in planning concept for treatment in facial region . These distances and divisions in the lower third of the face are one of the most important in the evaluation of facial beauty, given the fact that the lips and the chin highly determinate female beauty .
Women lips are very impressionable feature of the face and have a strong influence on facial beauty perception. Various studies (Bisson and Grobbelaar, 2004, Ward, 1989, Torsello et al., 2010, Mommaerts and Moerenhout, 2010, and Anic-Milosevic, 2010), in which authors analyzed the lower third of the face and the lips, stated that these are one of the five important characteristics in female facial aesthetics .
Ferrario et al. (1995) reported that attractive women share several similar characteristics, such as increased upper facial third (forehead), smaller face, and more voluminous (thicker) lips than nonattractive ones. In addition, it was stressed that the length of the nose was therefore smaller in attractive group. In their research, they compared 10 attractive and 40 normal women and stated that facial characteristics of attractive females showed uniformity, while facial parameters in a normal group differed from ideal proportions . In the study of Hall et al. it was shown that thickness of the lips was one of the main features in the beauty perception based on a poll among orthodontists and lay public. Perseo stated that, in some cases, standard camera distortions in cinema images made certain female faces appear more beautiful because they are overall “shortened.”
The studies of several authors have obtained the same results .
In the present investigation, the values for vertical length parameters, such as distance between points Me-ch and ch-LC as well as Me-Ln and Ln-Tr, which should be in relation determined by ideal proportions, differed in the group of anonymous female group. Therefore, faces of famous attractive females who represent contemporary canons of beauty are closer to the ideal proportions .
The question that always seems to intrigue scientists dealing with facial beauty is timelessness of the beauty principles established centuries ago. Torsello et al. (2010) found that some of the neoclassical canons can be considered still valid, while others seem to be changed over centuries. According to their research, it seems that reductions in facial medium third, in distance between eyes, and in nose dimensions have occurred as well as relative enlargement of eyes and mouth width .
Mommaerts and Moerenhout (2010) showed in their research that some of the ancient and neoclassical canons of beauty are still unchanged, despite the fact that some of these canons were established 2500 years ago.
These guidelines considering facial beauty can be used for improving patient’s facial appearance. Clinicians must be aware that each and every person has their own beauty perception, so these results should be viewed with caution.
Facial beauty and its determiners are one of the most arguable topics among surgeons, dentists, and orthodontists. They can all agree about some objective guidelines concerning facial proportions, symmetry, and ratio between specific facial parameters. However, more subjective understanding of beauty is still immeasurable and lies in the eye of beholder.
This study showed significant difference between anonymous and attractive females. Attractive females showed smaller face in general and uniformity of the facial thirds and fifths, and most of the facial parameters meet the criteria of the ideal proportions.
Conflict of Interests
The authors declare that there is no conflict of interests regarding the publication of this paper.
This study is supported by the Ministry of Science and Education of the Republic of Serbia, Grant no. 45005.
One of the leading aspects used to measure conventional attractiveness scientifically is facial symmetry. Typically, this is measured by manipulating an original photo of a person (we are all at least a little asymmetric, no person is perfectly symmetrical) into a perfectly symmetric version of their face. This manipulated, symmetric image is then presented to test subject along with the original photo. Subjects are then asked to indicate which face is more attractive, usually indicating the symmetrical version. (These findings have been replicated in multiple studies.) Though these results indicate that people prefer and perceive the more symmetric faces as attractive, there has been considerable debate about why this is.
There have been two theories of substance proposed by researchers to explain the preference for symmetrical faces:
The Evolutionary Advantage theory proposed that symmetrical faces are perceived as more attractive because the symmetry indicates good health in an individual. Everyone’s genes are designed to develop a face perfectly symmetrical, but as we grow, develop, and then age, disease, infections, and parasites cause imperfection in our appearance (asymmetry). Thus, those that have less asymmetry and imperfections, are perceived as having better and stronger immune systems to withstand the infections and parasites that occur naturally. So, symmetry is a good indicator of a person having good genes to pass on their offspring. Under the Evolutionary Advantage view of symmetric preferences, we have evolved to prefer symmetry and perceive it as attractive because over human history we have consistently and constantly preferred healthier individuals for mates. In sum, the Evolutionary Advantage view suggests that attraction to symmetric individuals reflects an attraction to healthy individuals who would be good mates.
The second theory to explain the preference for facial symmetry is Perceptual Bias. This theory suggests that the human visual system may be “hard wired” in a way that makes it much easier to process symmetrical stimuli than asymmetrical stimuli. If this is true, the ease of processing symmetrical stimuli would cause us to naturally prefer them to asymmetrical stimuli. Under this view, preferences for symmetrical faces would be no different than for any other object. So according to this, as well as preferring symmetrical faces, humans would also prefer more symmetrical objects of any kind. This has been supported as it has been found that people much prefer symmetrical pieces of abstract art and sculptures to asymmetrical ones.
Little and Jones (2003) did a study to investigate why people prefer symmetric faces to asymmetric ones, by testing and attempting to apply predictions from both the Evolutionary Advantage theory and Perceptual Bias. Previous studies found that the symmetric preference is stronger for attractiveness of opposite sex than same sex. Little and Jones found that the manipulated, symmetric faces were judged more attractive when shown the right way up, but not when the faces were inverted. These findings suggest that symmetry is more important in mate choice stimuli than in other stimuli, supporting the Evolutionary Advantage theory and presenting multiple difficulties for the Perception Bias theory (if symmetry of any kind was preferred then the more symmetrical face would have been indicated as more attractive both the right way up AND when inverted).
If anyone is interested in learning more, you can benefit from taking a class or just researching Penn State’s very own Dr. Mark Shriver, a geneticist, who conducts research in Brazil on facial symmetry. Though ongoing, Shriver’s research has measured thousands of Brazilian (and other ethnicities) faces in facial symmetry, judging their scientific attractiveness and therefore contributing the most evidence towards the idea that mixed race people are more attractive — in this case attraction is not subjective, it is purely measure with symmetry. Shriver teaches many higher level ANTH classes, but if anyone is interested, I suggest starting with ANTH 021 – Biological Anthropology.
The app that rates how attractive your selfies are
David Beckham, Sexiest Man Alive for 2015, understandably rated highly in the Blinq app.
If you’re struggling to decide if that selfie really would make the perfect profile picture, then help is at hand.
However unlike a sympathetic pal or tactful partner, you might not always like this app’s answer.
Devised in conjunction with the University of Zurich, the Blinq photo app uses artificial intelligence to rate images based on the subject’s attractiveness.
The six stages of results range from Hmm.. OK, and Nice to Hot, Stunning and Godlike, and the tool also estimates the age of the person photographed.
* Dating apps you’ve never heard of
* Time’s up! In online dating, matches don’t last forever
* The website which tells you how memorable – or forgettable – your face is
“Attractiveness is highly subjective and its perception differs from culture to culture,” the app warns users. “Have fun and don’t take the results too seriously.”
The algorithm is trained on pictures of mostly Swiss citizens, so “in other parts of the world the perception might be very different”.
In a bid to test out the effectiveness of the app, we tried running a few celebrity images through its rating system – and the results are rather surprising.
The world’s highest-paid supermodel, Gisele Bundchen, came out with a middling Hot rating, though the app guessed she was five years younger than her actual age.
Esquire’s Sexiest Woman of 2015, Game of Thrones actress Emilia Clarke, was also ranked as Hot, and had three years shaved off her actual age.
Angelina Jolie was estimated to be five years younger and got a Stunning nod, however the actress was trumped by reality star Kylie Jenner, who may have had three years added to her age but also received the highest accolade of Godlike.
However a different picture of the 18 year old was ranked as a mediocre Nice (looks like that fringe was really working against her).
When it came to the opposite sex, People’s Sexiest Man Alive, David Beckham, shed five years and was crowned Stunning. However tweeny favourite Harry Styles gained a year and was ranked as OK, with the app incurring the wrath of One Directioners around the world no doubt.
Were you brave enough to give the app a spin? How accurate were your results?
- Whats App
ADVERTISEMENT Sign Up for Our free email newsletters
“When your friends won’t tell you the truth, the Ugly Meter will.” So goes the tagline for the latest iPhone app sensation, which recently shot up to second place in the iPhone app store, just behind Angry Birds. The app was also the top seller in China for weeks. Created by Jo Overline and Ryan Allen of Arizona, the app has been around since 2010, but only hit the mainstream after its latest iteration, the Ugly Meter Pro, was featured on Howard Stern’s radio show. Here, a guide to the iPhone’s newest hit:
How does the Ugly Meter work?
The app snaps your picture, then “scans” your face, calculating its contours, symmetry, and proportions. The app pronounces your ugliness on a scale of 1 to 10 — with 10 being the ugliest — accompanied by corresponding quips. A low score will earn you praise (“You’re so hot that you make the sun jealous”), while a high score will result in insults (“You’re so ugly, you could make a glass eye cry”).
Why is it so popular?
“Everyone is interested in vanity,” theorizes Overline, “and they like to know where they rank.” The app raked in $80,000 the day after it was featured on Howard Stern, and has already racked up $500,000 in revenue.
How much does it cost?
The Ugly Meter Pro will set you back $5. The original Ugly Meter is priced at 99 cents.
Does it really work?
Perhaps not. A recent test resulted in British Prime Minister David Cameron scoring a 7 (“If ugliness were bricks, you’d be the Great Wall of China”), but super-hunk Brad Pitt fared worse, earning a blush-worthy 8 (“You could walk through a haunted house and come out with a paycheck”).
Has there been a backlash?
Yes. Parents are concerned that the app, with its focus on looks, could result in new forms of cyber-bullying and hurt children’s self-esteem. Overline insists that the Ugly Meter is meant to be used in the spirit of good fun.
Sources: CBCNews, CNet, Daily Mail, SanDiego6, WCNC
A U.K. dating app is approaching the matchmaking process in a whole new way, one that has the potential to abolish someone’s ego. The app, called Once, has updated its service to include a ranking of the app user’s attractiveness. The number rating, which ranges from one to five seemingly based on a user’s physical appearance, is said to be a tool to help the user be realistic about who they could potentially match with.
Once dating app promotional shot. Once
This may sound extreme, but it is a feature already used by numerous popular dating apps, just not publicly. Dating apps have a tendency to score users based on their performance and appearance in order to better form app algorithms. The surprising decision to make the numbers public is just a move that Once sees as gifted information for the user’s guidance.
The app’s founder, Jean Meyer, explained this decision to The New York Post on Wednesday. He explained it was a decision in order to be “transparent,” not to tell users they’re ugly. “We are disclosing the rate of how your pictures are perceived, it doesn’t mean you’re ugly or you’re beautiful,” Meyer said. “It only reflects one attribute of who you are—your pictures.”
Here’s a scenario based on what Meyer described. If your photos rank as a two, and you’re hoping to match with someone who is a five, chances are higher you won’t be well received by the five. You may be better off aiming for a match with someone who is ranked a one or a three.
While some may disapprove of the concept of ranking one’s appearance on a numerical scale, Meyer explained how it can help dating in the long run. “It makes it more likely they’ll find their perfect match,” he said.
There’s also an internal, algorithm-type design to how the numbers work. Your original number can change, that is, if someone with a higher ranking finds a lower ranking worth their time. If that five matches with the two, the two’s ranking will receive a boost.
It means those with higher rankings hold more weight in the app world. They can contribute to raising the score of a lower-ranked user, and overall, their likes hold a hefty amount of weight, compared to someone on the lower end of the scale.
This isn’t the first dating hierarchy to ever exist, but it’s the first app to make it public.