- Home Remedies to Relieve Bone and Joint Pain
- Soak in Epsom Salt
- Change your diet
- Olive oil
- Table Of Contents
- What Causes Knee Joint Pain?
- How To Treat Knee Joint Pain Naturally
- Home Remedies To Reduce Knee Joint Pain
- 1. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2. Ginger
- 3. Turmeric
- 4. Cayenne Pepper
- 5. Lemon
- 6. Olive Oil
- 7. Coconut Oil
- 8. Fenugreek Seeds
- 9. Dandelion Leaves
- 10. Mustard Oil
- 11. Essential Oils
- 12. Epsom Salt Soak
- 13. Hot And Cold Packs
- 14. Vitamins
- Prevention Tips
- 6 Home Remedies to Treat Knee Pain
- Heat and Cold Therapy
- Ginger Extract
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Mustard Oil
- Other Methods
- 8 Alternative Treatments for Knee Pain
- 4 Home remedies to reduce Knee Pain
- How to Treat Knee Pain: Easy Tips and Home Remedies
- Here are some easy home remedies for knee pain:
- 8 Natural Remedies For Knee Pain
- 1. Changing Your Routine
- 2. KT Tape
- 3. Foam Rolling
- 4. Hip Strengthening
- Natural Remedies for Knee Stiffness and Pain Relief
- A Better Way to Treat Your Knee Pain?
- Natural Remedies to Knock Out Knee Stiffness and Pain
- 1. Alternate Heat and Cold
- 2. Take a Turmeric Supplement
- 3. Daily Stretches Can Alleviate Pain
- 4. Consult a Chiropractor
- Natural Knee Pain Treatment in Fort Wayne
Home Remedies to Relieve Bone and Joint Pain
Bone and joint pain plagues many of us. Whether you’re dealing with long-term problems with arthritis or a recent sports injury, bone and joint pain can make even the easiest tasks painful.
Instead of reaching for a bottle of aspirin, here are some natural remedies to help relieve the pain.
Soak in Epsom Salt
The magnesium sulfate in Epsom Salt is absorbed through the skin and helps reduce inflammation. Add half a cup of salt to a bowl of warm water and soak your painful joint for at least 15 minutes. If you’re experiencing pain in your back or multiple joints, add two cups of Epsom salt to your bath water and soak in the tub for 15 minutes.
This may seem strange since the last thing you want to do when your bones and joints ache is get up and move around, but it will pay off in the long run. Exercise will strengthen and stretch muscles to reduce inflammation. The added movement will also help increase the effects of synovial fluid, which lubricates joints and reduces pain.
Change your diet
Chia seeds, walnuts and foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids are great for reducing inflammation. Meanwhile, fruits and vegetables contain high amounts of pain-reducing antioxidants. Eating a diet rich in these foods can also help you lose weight, which will also alleviate stress on your joints.
Massage some olive oil into your painful joints twice a day and let is absorb into your skin. If you decide to take olive oil orally, you’ll be glad to know that 1.5 tablespoons of olive oil has the same effect as 200 mg of ibuprofen. Whichever way you use olive oil, be sure to buy cold-pressed oil – the heating process some brands use can destroy healthy nutrients.
There are a number of supplements that are an overall healthy addition to your diet and can also improve bone strength, including:
- Vitamin D
Before you explore any joint pain remedies, be sure to consult with your physician. And keep him or her informed about changes in your mobility or pain level.
14 Natural Remedies For Knee Joint Pain + Causes And Prevention Tips Shaheen Naser Hyderabd040-395603080 January 16, 2020
Whether it is a temporary spasm or a debilitating pain in your knee joint, it is a constant reminder of the physical stress that you put your body through every day. If you do not want to pop in painkillers and are looking for natural alternatives for relief from this excruciating knee joint pain, you have landed on the right page. We have come up with 14 best natural remedies that will not only relieve the pain but also restore the normal functioning of your legs. Scroll down to know more.
Table Of Contents
- What Causes Knee Joint Pain?
- How To Treat Knee Joint Pain Naturally
- Prevention Tips
What Causes Knee Joint Pain?
Knee joint pain is never really a result of a single cause. While temporary knee pain, which is caused by an injury, usually fades away on its own, that on and off pain in your knee could be due to certain underlying causes that need to be treated.
Physical conditions or diseases that are responsible for chronic knee pain are:
- Osteoarthritis of the knee joint that may cause pain, swelling, and inflammation.
- Tendinitis – Pain in the front of the knee that makes physical movements like climbing the stairs painful.
- Bursitis – Inflammation of the knee joint caused by repeated overuse or injury of the knee.
- Chondromalacia patella – Damage to the cartilage under the kneecap.
- Gout – Elevated levels of uric acid in the body that results in arthritis.
- Baker’s cyst – Build-up of synovial fluid right behind the knee.
- Rheumatoid arthritis – An autoimmune disorder that causes pain and swelling in the affected joint, often leading to the erosion of the bone.
- Meniscus tear – A rupture of one or multiple cartilages of the knee.
- Torn ligament – A tear in any one of the four knee ligaments.
- Bone tumors that develop near the knee.
No matter what the cause of your constant knee pain is, the following remedies can offer relief to a great extent.
Back To TOC
How To Treat Knee Joint Pain Naturally
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Cayenne Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Coconut Oil
- Fenugreek Seeds
- Dandelion Leaves
- Mustard Oil
- Essential Oils
- Epsom Salt Soaks
- Hot And Cold Packs
Home Remedies To Reduce Knee Joint Pain
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
You Will Need
- 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1 glass of warm water
What You Have To Do
- Add two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water and mix well.
- Consume this solution daily, preferably before meals.
- You can also mix two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with a tablespoon of coconut oil and apply it to the affected knee.
How Often You Should Do This
You must do this twice daily.
Why This Works
Apple cider vinegar, whether it is consumed or applied topically, helps combat knee joint pain. It contains acetic acid that exhibits anti-inflammatory properties, which help reduce the pain and swelling in the affected area (1).
Back To TOC
- 1-inch piece of ginger
- 1 cup of water
- Gauze or a clean washcloth
- Add an inch of ginger to a cup of water.
- Bring it to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Strain and allow the solution to cool for a while.
- Dip a clean washcloth or gauze in the warm ginger water and place it on the affected area.
- Wrap the soaked cloth around your knee and allow it to work.
- You can also consume ginger tea daily.
Do this several times daily for best results.
Ginger was found to help individuals suffering from knee pain due to osteoarthritis (2). The presence of compounds like gingerol makes it a powerful anti-inflammatory and analgesic remedy (3).
Back To TOC
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 glass of coconut or almond milk
- Add a teaspoon of turmeric to a glass of hot milk and mix well.
- Consume the mixture.
- You can also make a paste of turmeric and apply it to the affected area.
Do this twice daily.
Curcumin, the major component of turmeric, is a powerful anti-inflammatory compound. It was found to alleviate symptoms of joint pain and inflammation in multiple studies owing to its anti-inflammatory properties (4), (5).
Back To TOC
4. Cayenne Pepper
- 3 tablespoons of cayenne pepper
- 1 cup of olive oil
- ½ cup of grated beeswax
- A double boiler
- A lidded glass jar
- Add three tablespoons of cayenne pepper to a cup of olive oil.
- Heat in a double boiler for about 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Add half a cup of grated beeswax to this while stirring continuously.
- Continue stirring until the mixture is smooth, and the beeswax has dissolved completely.
- Refrigerate the mixture for 10 minutes, after which you have to whisk it again.
- Chill for 15 minutes and whisk the mixture once more.
- Transfer the balm to a glass jar with a lid and refrigerate.
- Use the mixture as and when required.
- This mixture can be used for up to one and a half weeks.
You must apply this mixture to the affected area multiple times daily.
Cayenne pepper is an excellent remedy for treating knee joint pain as it contains capsaicin. Capsaicin acts as a natural pain reliever due to its anti-inflammatory and analgesic activities (6).
Back To TOC
- 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- Extract the juice of a lemon.
- Mix it with a tablespoon of sesame oil.
- Apply this mixture topically to the affected knee.
- Leave it on for about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Repeat as required.
- You can also consume lemon juice daily for faster recovery.
You must do this 3 to 4 times daily.
Lemons have anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce the inflammation, pain, and swelling that accompany knee pain (7).
Back To TOC
6. Olive Oil
Extra virgin olive oil (as required)
- Take some olive oil in your palms and massage it into the affected knee.
- Leave it on and allow it to evaporate naturally.
- If you are uncomfortable with the stickiness, you can leave the oil on for about 30 minutes and then wash it off.
Do this 3 to 4 times daily for effective results.
The active constituents of olive oil include biologically active polyphenols like hydroxytyrosol, tyrosol, oleocanthal, and oleuropein. All these compounds have powerful anti-inflammatory properties that work wonderfully in treating knee joint pain (8).
Back To TOC
7. Coconut Oil
Extra virgin coconut oil (as required)
- Take some extra virgin coconut oil and apply it directly to the affected area.
- You can allow it to dry on its own or rinse it off after 30 minutes.
Do this several times in a day.
Coconut oil can help reduce the inflammation and pain associated with knee joint pain with its anti-inflammatory and analgesic activities (9).
Back To TOC
8. Fenugreek Seeds
- 2 teaspoons of fenugreek seeds
- 1 glass of water
- Add two teaspoons of fenugreek seeds to a glass of water. Soak overnight.
- Strain and consume the water.
- You can also blend the soaked fenugreek seeds and apply the paste on the affected knee.
You must do this daily.
Fenugreek seeds possess anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties that work wonders in treating the pain and inflammation associated with knee joint pain (10).
Back To TOC
9. Dandelion Leaves
- 10-12 dandelion leaves
- 1 cup of water
- Wash the dandelion leaves thoroughly.
- Bring them to a boil in a saucepan. Simmer for 5 minutes and strain.
- Allow it to cool.
- Add a little honey to it and consume immediately.
- You can also add dandelion leaves to your favorite juice or smoothie.
You must consume dandelion leaves 1 to 2 times daily for best results.
Regular consumption of dandelion leaves can help relieve knee pain to a great extent, and this is due to their powerful anti-inflammatory properties (11).
Back To TOC
10. Mustard Oil
Mustard oil (as required)
- Take some mustard oil in your palms and massage it directly onto the affected knee.
- Repeat as necessary.
- You can also add a clove of chopped garlic to the mustard oil.
You must do this several times a day.
The topical application of mustard oil can help relieve pain and inflammation in the affected knee (12).
Back To TOC
11. Essential Oils
a. Peppermint Oil
- 7 drops of peppermint oil
- 1 teaspoon of coconut oil
- Add seven drops of peppermint oil to a teaspoon of coconut oil.
- Mix well and apply it directly to the affected area.
- Reapply as required.
Do this multiple times a day.
One of the main components of peppermint oil is menthol. Menthol is naturally anti-inflammatory and can help relieve the pain and inflammation associated with knee pain (13).
b. Frankincense Oil
- 7 drops of frankincense oil
- 1 teaspoon of coconut oil
- Mix seven drops of frankincense oil with a teaspoon of coconut oil.
- Apply it to the affected knee and allow it to dry on its own.
- Repeat as required.
You must do this multiple times daily.
The anti-inflammatory nature of frankincense oil helps lessen the pain (14).
Back To TOC
12. Epsom Salt Soak
- 1 cup of Epsom salt
- Add a cup of Epsom salt to a tub filled with water. You could also add peppermint or frankincense oil to the bath to reap the benefits of the oils while soaking in the tub.
- Soak in it for 20 to 30 minutes.
Do this once daily for the desired effects.
Since Epsom salt contains magnesium and sulfate, its powerful pain-relieving properties are not a surprise. Magnesium is known to reduce inflammation within your body to a great extent – which makes Epsom salt an amazing remedy for knee joint pain (15).
Back To TOC
13. Hot And Cold Packs
- A hot pack
- A cold pack
- Apply a hot pack to the affected area. Follow it up with a cold pack.
- Place each pack for about 5 minutes before replacing it.
- Repeat thrice.
Do this throughout the day for immediate pain relief.
A combination of hot and cold packs offers immediate relief from pain, swelling, and inflammation. While the ice pack numbs the affected area, the hot pack stimulates blood circulation in the knee (16).
Back To TOC
You can include foods rich in vitamins D and C in your diet to get relief from chronic knee joint pain. Vitamin D is necessary for enhancing your bone health, whereas vitamin C is responsible for producing collagen – which is an important protein found in your knee tendons (17), (18).
Consume milk, cheese, poultry, eggs, citrus fruits, broccoli, and spinach to get the required both these vitamins.
These remedies can help relieve knee joint pain easily. However, to maintain their effect, you can incorporate the following tips into your lifestyle. They will also help in preventing the recurrence of knee pain.
Back To TOC
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Wear proper fitting shoes.
- Warm up before you exercise.
- Indulge in low impact exercises.
- Do not decrease your physical activity.
- Practice yoga.
- Try Tai Chi.
- Follow a healthy nutritious diet.
Knee joint pain can be quite agonizing. Though the above remedies provide relief, it would be a wise decision to consult your doctor to find out if there is an underlying cause for your condition.
Hope you have a speedy recovery! If you have any questions or feedback, you can use the comment box below.
Back To TOC
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
When to see a doctor for knee pain?
If your knee aches or has swollen or become red and tender to touch, consult a doctor without further delay.
Is cycling good for knee pain?
Since cycling is not a high impact sport, it is relatively safe for those suffering from knee pain. Walking and swimming are also easy on the knees.
Does kinesology tape work for knee pain?
Kinesiology tape can alleviate pain and make movement easier. It can also reduce symptoms of inflammation and swelling when used correctly.
Why do you get knee pain during pregnancy?
During pregnancy, your body undergoes many changes. As a result of these changes, it is common to have increased joint and muscle pains.
- How To Use Castor Oil To Treat Knee Pain?
- How To Use Castor Oil To Treat Arthritis?
- 10 Best Ice Packs For Knee Pain
- Differences Between Rheumatoid Arthritis And Osteoarthritis
- 10 Effective Herbs To Cure Arthritis
The following two tabs change content below.
- Latest Posts
Latest posts by Shaheen Naser (see all)
- V-Line Surgery – Everything You Need To Know – August 19, 2019
- Home Remedies For Managing Anal Fissures – July 26, 2019
- Arthritis In The Hands – Symptoms, Causes, And Treatment – July 25, 2019
- What Happens When You Quit Smoking – A Timeline – July 5, 2019
- What Is Endometriosis? Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, And Diet Tips – June 24, 2019
Shaheen holds a postgraduate degree in Human Genetics and Molecular Biology. She is a Geneticist with proficiency in Biotechnology, Immunology, Medical Genetics, Biochemistry, Microbiology, and Genetic Counseling. Her passion for writing and her educational background have assisted her substantially in writing quality content on topics related to health and wellness. In her free time, Shaheen loves to explore the world and the different flavors/cuisines it has to offer. Photography is another hobby she has developed of late.
6 Home Remedies to Treat Knee Pain
In our stressful lives, we often become prey to some disease or other. Knee pain is another one. There are several reasons that lead o a knee pain. Knee pain can be due to a sprain, fractures, injuries or a severe problem such as arthritis. Inflammation in joints and bones primarily affects those suffering from arthritis. It can be treated at home by some natural remedies. Here are 6 home remedies to treat knee pain.
Heat and Cold Therapy
A heating pad can help keep your knee joint from stiffening up and reduce the pain, whereas, a cold gel-based pack will relieve you from the pain and decrease the swelling. You can use an ice pack, heating pad, hot packs or electric blankets to get relief.
Also read: How to Beat PCOS, Endometriosis, and More with Cinnamon
Ginger is known for its benefits and has been used as a medicine in Ayurveda for years. It is easily available in nearby stores or local vegetable vendors. It contains inflammatory properties that provide relief from a stomach ache or arthritis. You can also consume raw ginger for the pain.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is an excellent source for reducing pain in your knees. Its alkalizing effect softens muscle build-ups that lessen knee pain and improve your movement. Mix apple cider vinegar with water and drink it before going to bed or you can blend it with coconut oil and apply directly to the affected areas.
A gentle massage with mustard oil can work wonders for the pain. A mustard oil massage will make you feel better and ease the discomfort caused by the pain. It will stimulate blood flow and reduce pain and inflammation.
Acupuncture has been effective in reducing swelling and joint pain. A few acupuncture sessions can provide your relief from arthritis and swelling induced by the pain. You can also consider the risk free procedure since it is supposed to help you in other ways as well.
Also read: Home Remedies to Get Rid of Acne Overnight
Curcumin, a chemical compound in turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidants that help ease the pain. It alleviated knee pain and gives instant relief. Mix one tablespoon of turmeric and one tablespoon of ginger in some water and boil for 15 minutes. Drink this after it cools down. You can add honey for taste. The other option is to drink turmeric milk – add a tablespoon of turmeric powder in milk and mix well.
- Lose weight to attain healthy body weight that can provide relief from arthritis and joint pain.
- Exercising like cycling, swimming or walking can be effective in curing joint pain.
- Physical therapy can also be effective in providing you relief from joint pains.
- Consult a doctor if the pain stays for long.
Read more articles on Home Remedies.
For more related articles, download OnlymyHealth app.
8 Alternative Treatments for Knee Pain
Living with aches, pains and stiffness of the knee is a way of life for many people. But it doesn’t have to be. While medications can be quite effective in helping control pain, often they don’t provide a complete or ongoing solution. The good news is there are many things you can do to complement traditional pain relief measures and get additional relief.
Bring Pain to Its Knees https://d33ljpvc0tflz5.cloudfront.net/dims3/MMH/crop/1494×999%2B5%2B0/resize/580×388/quality/75/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fd26ua9paks4zq.cloudfront.net%2F84%2F66%2F467aef4a41bea90b80d642f38869%2Fresizes%2F1500%2Fimage-gettyimages-532953739.jpg
This traditional Chinese medicine practice involves placing hair-thin needles into the skin to stimulate specific points on the body. Research suggests that it may help relieve chronic pain, including knee pain. But the effects of acupuncture are still being studied, and some believe that factors such as expectation and belief may also play a role in the effects of acupuncture on pain.
1. Acupuncture https://d33ljpvc0tflz5.cloudfront.net/dims3/MMH/thumbnail/580×388/quality/75/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fd26ua9paks4zq.cloudfront.net%2F1e%2F5f%2Fe6cda16c4f6db723c371dfab4373%2Fimage-doctor-performing-acupuncture-91908611.jpg
Many people have found relief from knee pain with an over-the-counter transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) unit. TENS is a technique in which a weak electric current is administered through electrodes placed on the skin. It works by preventing messages from pain receptors from reaching the brain. You can get a TENS device over-the-counter at your local drugstore, but talk to your doctor first to see if this is a good option for you.
2. Over-the-Counter TENS Units https://d33ljpvc0tflz5.cloudfront.net/dims3/MMH/crop/1500×1003%2B0%2B0/resize/580×388/quality/75/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fd26ua9paks4zq.cloudfront.net%2F2b%2F12%2F17d9930f4c74b98332bad1547b01%2Fresizes%2F1500%2Fgettyimages-137987929-rf-hg.jpg
You may have heard that the supplements glucosamine and chondroitin can help with knee pain, for example from osteoarthritis. These natural components of cartilage help it retain water, and have been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties and even help cartilage regeneration. While the results have been mixed, research suggests that chondroitin is not helpful for pain from osteoarthritis of the knee, and it’s unclear whether glucosamine helps. But some studies show that people who have moderate to severe arthritis pain appear to get the most benefit from these supplements. Talk to your doctor to see if these may be helpful for your knee pain.
3. Supplements https://d33ljpvc0tflz5.cloudfront.net/dims3/MMH/crop/4752×3179%2B0%2B0/resize/580×388/quality/75/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fd26ua9paks4zq.cloudfront.net%2F33%2Fe2%2F0d0f45dd466d93ec6613a1c0b304%2Fimage-gettyimages-476698149.jpg
Whether you choose to go to a professional or use self-massage at home, regularly massaging muscles and joints can significantly reduce knee pain. Recent studies have shown that regular use of massage therapy for arthritis symptoms led to improvements in pain, stiffness, range of motion, walking and overall function of the joints. Talk to your doctor about the best way to get started in massage therapy.
4. Massage Therapy https://d33ljpvc0tflz5.cloudfront.net/dims3/MMH/thumbnail/580×388/quality/75/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fd26ua9paks4zq.cloudfront.net%2F08%2Fea%2F87c88d044ca88e1d93353b55683a%2F7-myths-about-MS-3.jpg
Try this: focus on an image in your mind, such as a symbol, picture, place, prayer, or even a color, that creates a feeling of relaxation or relief, and see how you feel. Calm? Less stressed? It’s a practice called guided imagery, and it’s often used to ease tension and provide pain relief by focusing on pain in a “positive” way. The idea is to shrink, fade or soften the pain in your mind. Doctors often recommend guided imagery as a complement to traditional pain relief methods, such as medication.
5. Guided Imagery https://d33ljpvc0tflz5.cloudfront.net/dims3/MMH/crop/844×565%2B4%2B0/resize/580×388/quality/75/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fd26ua9paks4zq.cloudfront.net%2F46%2F3b%2Fe81cd9d44105ace7da4d33946672%2Fimage-man-relaxing-on-couch.jpg
Unlike guided imagery, meditation helps you quiet your thoughts and focus on being in the moment. While this may seem counterintuitive (how can I feel less pain if I’m focused on the moment I’m having it?), the idea is to focus on your breath, which allows you to release stress. As you release the stress, you are releasing the pain that comes with it. For example, studies show that meditation, combined with traditional medicines, helps people who suffer from arthritis pain.
6. Meditation https://d33ljpvc0tflz5.cloudfront.net/dims3/MMH/thumbnail/580×388/quality/75/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fd26ua9paks4zq.cloudfront.net%2F31%2Fe9%2F53d52b1749e7b9cac8bfb447d7db%2Fimage-women-meditating.jpg
Breathing can also help you relax and take your mind off your pain. Sit in a comfortable position that supports your back, and breathe in deeply for five seconds, hold it for five seconds and then breathe out for five seconds. You can also silently chant a peaceful mantra, such as “I am calm, and relaxed,” as you breathe. Try doing this when you are feeling pain, as well as several times throughout the day for several minutes at a time.
7. Breath Work https://d33ljpvc0tflz5.cloudfront.net/dims3/MMH/crop/5616×3757%2B0%2B0/resize/580×388/quality/75/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fd26ua9paks4zq.cloudfront.net%2Fe7%2Fe5%2F134856e340bcad62b6769df7cd7e%2Fimage-gettyimages-531200405.jpg
Tai chi is a century-old mind-body practice that involves certain postures and gentle movements to promote mental focus, breathing and relaxation. In addition to helping improve balance and stability, it also may help reduce knee pain, and improve quality of life and mood in people with other chronic illnesses. Most people with knee pain find they can handle these movements, but talk to your doctor before beginning any new exercise program.
8. Tai Chi https://d33ljpvc0tflz5.cloudfront.net/dims3/MMH/thumbnail/580×388/quality/75/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fd26ua9paks4zq.cloudfront.net%2Fe2%2Fef%2F3725e4874533812d74d8ddd47d9d%2Fhumira-SS-exercise-3.jpg
4 Home remedies to reduce Knee Pain
There is no such activity that is performed without the movement of hands and legs. Compared to other body parts, the knees and the back get the most pressure. Knee pain can be one of the most common problems that restrict one’s functioning and physical movements. The knee pain can be acute or chronic depending on how severe the pain is. The pain in the knees can change from person to person. There are some individuals who feel the pain in the joints, while others experience the pain in the ligament and cartilage. If you are feeling a little stiffness or inflammation in the knees, it is better to take the suggestion from the doctor.
There are various knee pain treatment options available. But if you want to avoid the surgeries or the medicines, it is better that you take the help of some remedies that are easily available at home. Never let your knee disturb the mobility; instead be fit and active.
1. Apply the cold therapy:
You can wrap some ice cubes in the towel and press the towel softly on the painful area for about 20 minutes. Ice helps in reducing the swelling and it will provide a relief to the pain.
2. Use the cayenne pepper:
This type of pepper contains the capsaicin that is a natural painkiller. You can mix two tablespoons of cayenne pepper with some amount of olive oil and massage over the affected area to get relief.
3. Ginger to reduce knee pain:
One of the best homemade knee pain treatment options is using ginger over the painful area. When the pain is due to arthritis or muscle strain, ginger can act as magic due to its inflammatory properties. You can consume raw ginger to reduce the pain.
4. Use lemon:
Citric acid that is found in the lemon is one of the best ways to reduce the knee pain. Cut the lemon into two halves; dip one-half in the sesame oil and rub on the area for about 10 minutes. Repeat this every day to reduce pain.
These are some of the natural treatments for knee pain that will help you reduce pain and give you a good life.
How to Treat Knee Pain: Easy Tips and Home Remedies
Whether it is a temporary twitch in the muscle, a sudden resurfacing of an old injury or that post-workout agony – knee pain can bring your life to a standstill, quite literally. The debilitating pain in the biggest joint of the body can either last for some hours or at times for days altogether. In such a situation, it becomes imperative to figure out the underlying cause behind the excruciating pain. Coming to the causes of knee pain, there could be many reasons of you going week in your knees and feeling that unbearable pain. Pain has several categories; you could have mild pain through days and suddenly wake up one morning to find it gone. According to experts, in most cases, knee pain could just be a painful aftermath of physical exertion. Those intense workouts, an exhilarating football match or for that matter, the usual age-related wear and tear of muscles, bone-density and tissues – all these may trigger that hard-to-bear knee pain.
According to Dr. Supriya Bali, Internal Medicine, Max Hospitals, there are a few other things that can contribute in triggering knee and joint pains in general. “Knee pain can occur to anyone, from children to the elderly. Some of the most obvious reasons would include lack of Vitamin D, calcium and iron.” Lack of Vitamin D is often responsible for hampering optimum bone health. It is one of the leading medical concerns in India. People, who suffer from it, complain of dull pain in their knees as well as in other joints.
Home remedies for knee pain: There are a few other things that can contribute in triggering knee and joint pains
As many say, ‘prevention is the best cure,’ many common ailments can be avoided just by making minor changes in our lifestyles. Knee pain, if sustaining for more than a week, could mean something serious including risk of arthritis, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis and other bone related ailments. In order to rule out these conditions, it is imperative for one to consume a diet rich in calcium and vitamins right from one’s childhood.
Home remedies for knee pain: Mushrooms are enriched with Vitamin D
Your knee pain could be an outcome of a damaged muscle, ligament or weakened bones. Just in case the pain persists for more than three-four days, or gets worse, it is extremely important to seek professional help. In case of minor injuries, you can try treating them in the comfort of your home without popping pills.
Here are some easy home remedies for knee pain:
The Cold Treatment: In case of any injury (sports or trauma), experts suggest cold compresses for the first 48 hours at least thrice a day. Applying ice to the affected area will help reduce the swelling.
The Heat Effect: In case it is an old injury that seems to have resurfaced or any kind of muscle pain (due to exertion) you can try applying warm sesame oil or mustard oil with a pinch of turmeric onto the joint.
Home remedies for knee pain: Your knee pain could be an outcome of a damaged muscle
Natural Painkillers: Some of the most common ingredients stacked in our kitchen cabinets have magical properties to cure many ailments with most of them being capable of driving chronic body aches away. Dr. Ashutosh Gautam, Clinical Operations and Coordination Manager at Baidyanath, suggests some common ingredients that can help relieve knee pain.
– Consuming seeds, rich in calcium can help. These will include flaxseeds, walnuts, and sesame seeds. Amla is also good for joints and bone health.
– You can also consume giloy.Giloystems can be chewed as is or powdered and mixed with lukewarm water. You also get giloy tablets in market.
– Turmeric is antiseptic and has healing properties. When teamed with warm milk, it acts on treating joint pains as well as facilities the healing process.
Home remedies for knee pain: Some common ingredients stacked in our kitchen cabinets have magical properties
– Many people experience knee pain during winters, for them, methi (fenugreek seeds) can be soaked overnight and consumed to relieve pain.
– Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties; hence topical application of ginger oil as well as drinking ginger tea regularly can also help. You can also have ginger along with milk for effective results.
– Tulsi or holy basil is known as an anti-rheumatic (joint pains) and antispasmodic (muscle spasms) agent. It can be used externally to treat joint related ailments. Tulsi also works in relieving joint pain and pain associated with arthritis.
Home remedies for knee pain: Keeping your leg elevated and giving rest to your body is extremely important
A recent study conducted by Texas Woman’s University has established that daily intake of grapes can help get relief from knee pain, especially the ones triggered due to symptomatic osteoarthritis. Grapes are high on antioxidants, most important and beneficial one being polyphenols which help in improving the flexibility and mobility of joints.
Apart from these, there are also few more points that must be kept in mind if one is experiencing knee pain. Keeping your leg elevated and giving rest to your body is extremely important. Any activity that would result in exerting the joint or the associated muscles should be avoided. You can seek physiotherapy and professional exercises that can prove beneficial in tackling the pain. And for the future, make sure you keep the following in mind to keep your bones and muscles healthy and to avoid the pain from resurfacing.
– Wear proper shoes
– Avoid wearing heels for long
– Do not indulge in an intense physical activity all of a sudden
– Keep active, say no to a sedentary lifestyle
– Keep a check on weight. Obesity puts extra stress on your bones and joints
– Check your posture (while at work, sitting or driving)
– Do not sit for long hours, take short breaks. Stretch, walk, climb stairs.
– Be watchful while lifting weights
– Eat calcium and Vitamin D rich foods
– Keep stress at bay, avoid smoking
8 Natural Remedies For Knee Pain
When knee pain strikes, popping a pill may be easy, but it’s only a quick fix. These over-the-counter pain medications may be able to calm joint aches and swelling, but they have downsides that range from gastrointestinal distress to an increased risk of heart attack and stroke. (In fact, the FDA just strengthened the cardiovascular warnings on the bottles of ibuprofen and naproxen—yikes.)
Get off the pain-pill train by using one or more of these techniques—they’re safe and effective.
More From Prevention: Can Ibuprofen Cause Hearing Loss?
1. Changing Your Routine
While knee pain shouldn’t hold you back from the things you love, you may want to consider a short-term shift to your exercise regimen, says Long Island, New York—based physical therapist Annette Marshall Franey.
Try trading your usual walk or run for a pool workout or stationary cycling, which can be easier on the knees, says Franey. With the bike, be sure to choose an upright position rather than a bike that allows you to recline while you pedal. Adjust the seat so your knee is directly below your hip and your leg is almost straight at the bottom of the pedaling cycle, she says.
Yoga can help with knee pain, but certain poses—such as the warrior series—can put pressure on the joint if they aren’t executed correctly: Make sure your knee doesn’t drift inward during lunging positions. Also, let your instructor about your symptoms so he or she can watch you closely and provide modifications, advises Franey.
2. KT Tape
This thin, stretchy adhesive you can find at most pharmacies helps relieve pressure and inflammation, improves circulation, and provides support to the muscles surrounding the knee joint, says Holley J. DeShaw, LMT, a massage therapist in West Linn, Oregon, who works with elite, professional, and Olympic athletes.
Start with clean, dry skin, then check the manufacturer’s website for instructions on exactly how to apply it for pain in your inner or outer knee or the back of your knee, or for full knee support. For a quick fix, pick up the new PRO-X patches ($19.99 on kttape.com). Simply place them on the point of achiness for targeted relief from muscle pain, overuse injuries, and tendon issues.
“They only take a moment to apply,” DeShaw says, and they have the proper tension already built in.
3. Foam Rolling
If you haven’t discovered the magic of rolling, your knee is telling you it’s time: Using a foam roller is the newest way to improve flexibility and loosen tight muscles that can put pressure on your joint, says John Connolly, PT, DPT, CSCS, a physical therapist at Armonk Physical Therapy & Sports Training in Armonk, NY.
Rolling the outsides of your thighs—where the tough band of fibrous tissue called the IT band is located—can break down painful adhesions in this area, Connolly says. And rolling your quads or hamstrings can loosen these big muscles, which helps improve the tracking of your kneecap; when you walk or run, tight quads can pull your knee cap to the side with every stride, leading to the pain under the bone known as runner’s knee.
4. Hip Strengthening
“The hip plays a big role in how the knee will function,” Connolly says.
Building strength in your hips and glutes keeps your knees in proper alignment, and that takes pressure off the joints. In fact, in a recent study in the British Journal of Sports Medicine, knee rehab programs that included hip-focused moves provided better pain relief and improved motion.
Start with a move Connolly calls the clamshell: Lie on your side with your legs bent and a resistance band looped around your knees. Raise and lower your top leg 8 to 10 times, then change sides and repeat.
More From Prevention: Your 10 Biggest Walking Pains, Solved
Natural Remedies for Knee Stiffness and Pain Relief
Knee stiffness and pain can slow you down and get in the way of doing the things that you enjoy. It can even interfere with basic daily activities, such as walking to the mailbox, exercising and shopping. The knee joint is the largest joint in the body. Injuries can often result from everyday wear and tear, overuse, accidents, and sporting activities.
No one wants to live with chronic knee pain. But, many of the solutions rely on surgery or pain medication, which can result in a lengthy recovery or may have unpleasant side effects and be potentially addictive.
A Better Way to Treat Your Knee Pain?
There may be alternative ways to alleviate your bothersome knee stiffness and pain without turning to treatments that may make you uncomfortable. Have you considered trying natural remedies for your pain and discomfort? Sometimes, natural remedies can offer effective treatment for your knee problems without being invasive, dangerous, or as costly as some of the other treatment options available.
If you are tired of dealing with chronic knee pain, try these natural remedies to help you get back to living the full and active life that you deserve!
Natural Remedies to Knock Out Knee Stiffness and Pain
Wouldn’t it be great to find out that you have the power to minimize your knee pain? Well, these natural remedies just might be the answer that you have been looking for!
1. Alternate Heat and Cold
Heat has a soothing effect, while cold has anti-bruising and anti-inflammatory capabilities. Alternating the two can be a productive way of reducing pain and swelling. Use a heating pad or warm a compress in the microwave for ten to fifteen seconds. Then apply heat to the affected area for about fifteen minutes. Immediately following the application of heat, apply cold to the area with an ice pack. You can rotate the ice pack in small circles around your knee to reduce discomfort from the chill. Try to sustain applying cold to the area for fifteen minutes as well. Continue rotating the hot and cold treatments for at least a couple of cycles to get the greatest benefit from each session.
2. Take a Turmeric Supplement
Turmeric has natural healing properties. A daily supplement taken by mouth can help reduce inflammation in the knee, as well as other areas throughout the body.
3. Daily Stretches Can Alleviate Pain
Stretches that focus on the muscles and ligament surrounding the knee joint are often recommended by medical professionals as part of a treatment plan to treat knee stiffness and pain. Certain exercises, such as stretching the hamstring, can loosen the tightness and alleviate pressure to the joint.
4. Consult a Chiropractor
A chiropractor may be able to reduce your symptoms effectively and sooner than you think. Often, patients see an improvement in just a few visits. Request an appointment with a chiropractor who can help develop a natural treatment plan that will work for you!
Natural Knee Pain Treatment in Fort Wayne
A natural solution for knee pain relief can be just what you need to get back to enjoying life again. Don’t wait! Take control of your health today, and you could be feeling better by tomorrow!
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2017 in Knee Pain, Knee Pain
comments powered by Disqus