- 20 Uplifting Quotes for People Living With a Chronic Illness
- 15 Quotes to Inspire People with Chronic Illness
- Get Well Soon Quotes
- Inspirational Get Well Soon Quotes
- Uplifting Get Well Quotes
- Funny Get Well Soon Quotes
- Terminally Ill Quotes
- Inspirational Get Well Soon Quotes For Her
- Get Well Soon Quotes For Him
20 Uplifting Quotes for People Living With a Chronic Illness
Have you ever heard any quotes that helped shift your perspective for the rest of the day? Those type of quotes can help fuel our soul and spirit to get through the most challenging of days.
Living a chronic illness, such as pulmonary hypertension, can often feel like a roller coaster — full of ups and downs. It’s extremely challenging to maintain a sunny disposition while being chronically ill, despite our best efforts. Sometimes a powerful quote can help reignite your fight, joy or inspiration.
Here are 20 quotes to help pick you up when you need a little inspiration and hope. Write one down and carry it with you. Place it somewhere where you will look often, like the bathroom mirror where you brush your teeth or on a Post-it note stuck to the bottom of your computer screen.
1. “If you’re going through hell, keep going.”
― Winston Churchill
2. “Only in the darkness can you see the stars.”
― Martin Luther King Jr
3. “When you have lost hope, you have lost everything. And when you
think all is lost, when all is dire and bleak, there is always hope.”
― Pittacus Lore, “I Am Number Four”
4. “Hope is important because it can make the present moment less
difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can
bear a hardship today.”
― Thích Nhất Hạnh
5. “A woman is like a tea bag: You never know how strong it is until it’s in hot water.”
― Eleanor Roosevelt
6. “There is an alchemy in sorrow. It can be transmuted into wisdom, which, if it does not bring joy, can yet bring happiness.”
― Pearl S. Buck
7. “The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, not to worry about the future, or not to anticipate troubles, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly.”
8. “If you wouldst live long, live well; for folly and wickedness shorten life.”
― Benjamin Franklin
9. “The time to relax is when you don’t have time for it.”
― Sydney J. Harris
10. “A purpose of human life, no matter who is controlling it, is to love whoever is around to be loved.”
― Kurt Vonnegut, “The Sirens of Titan”
11. “The secret of life, though, is to fall seven times and to get up eight times.”
― Paulo Coelho, “The Alchemist”
12. “Time is priceless, but it’s free. You can’t own it, you can use it. You can spend it. But you can’t keep it. Once you’ve lost it you can
never get it back.”
― Audrey Niffenegger, “The Time Traveler’s Wife”
13. “Start by doing what’s necessary; then do what’s possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.”
― Francis of Assisi
14. “It is not length of life, but depth of life that matters.“
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
15. “Courage is grace under pressure.”
― Ernest Hemingway
16. “People ask me if I live each day like it’s my last, and I don’t.
I live each day like it’s my first, and I can’t wait for the next one.”
― Kris Carr
17. “Healing takes courage, and we all have courage, even if we have to dig a little to find it.”
― Tori Amos
18. “Healing yourself is connected with healing others.”
― Yoko Ono
19. “The wound is the place where the Light enters you.”
― Jalaluddin Rumi
20. “The most important thing is to enjoy your life ― to be happy ― it’s all that matters.”
― Audrey Hepburn
A version of this post originally appeared on Pulmonary Hypertension News.
We want to hear your story. Become a Mighty contributor here.
Lead photo source: Thinkstock Images
15 Quotes to Inspire People with Chronic Illness
Being sick is no fun. We all know that. But being chronically ill while maintaining a pleasant disposition is a daunting task even for the Greek gods. Every biological response in your body wants to lean into the creeping despair you feel. But by doing that with regularity, you’ll soon feel as if you’ve given up entirely on life. You no longer have the strength to try to tease apart threads of joy from the suffocating blanket of pain that covers you.
Quotes are one of the things I use to try to regain perspective in my persistent fight against the spirit of defeat that wants to take over when my resolve is down. Whenever I come across an inspiring quote, I write it down so that when I have an afternoon where I can’t write or do anything productive — except maybe just cry and feel sorry for myself — I can revisit my collection.
Here are some of my favorites that nudge me to choose health in the face of chronic illness:
- One cannot live the afternoon of life according to the program of life’s morning; for what was great in the morning will be of little importance in the evening, and what in the morning was true will at evening have become a lie. -Carl Jung
- The world is in a constant conspiracy against the brave. It’s the age-old struggle – the roar of the crowd on one side and the voice of your conscience on the other. – Douglas MacArthur
- Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before. – Jacob A. Riis
- How surely gravity’s law, strong as an ocean current, takes hold of even the smallest thing and pulls it toward the heart of the world… This is what the things can teach us: to fall, patiently to trust our heaviness. – Rainer Maria Rilke
- Start by doing what’s necessary; then do what’s possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible. – Francis of Assisi
- Thank you, dear God, for this good life, and forgive us if we do not love it enough. – Garrison Keillor
- There must be those among whom we can sit down and weep and still be counted as warriors. – Adrienne Rich
- I long to accomplish a noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble. – Helen Keller
- We cannot do everything, and there is a sense of liberation in realizing that. This enables us to do something, and to do it very well. It may be incomplete, but it is a beginning, a step along the way, an opportunity for the Lord’s grace to enter and do the rest. – Oscar Romero
- Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. – Marianne Williamson
- Nothing is more destined to create deep-seated anxieties in people than the false assumption that life should be free of anxieties. – Fulton Sheen
- The truth that many people never understand is that the more you try to avoid suffering, the more you suffer, because smaller and more insignificant things begin to torture you, in proportion to your fear of being hurt. – Thomas Merton
- Consider the redwood tree. When only a stump remains, the tree can nevertheless regenerate. Little sprouts shoot up from the buds of ancient, invisible roots and actually form a circle surrounding the old stump. This is a “cathedral circle,” and the survival of some of the buds guarantees that the redwoods do not die. – Anthony Gittins
- Hope doesn’t require a massive chain where heavy links of logic hold it together. A thin wire will do…just strong enough to get us through the night until the winds die down. – Charles R. Swindoll
- The world is more magical, less predictable, more autonomous, less controllable, more varied, less simple, more infinite, less knowable, more wonderfully troubling than we could have imagined being able to tolerate when we were young. – James Hollis
Join “Living With Chronic Illness” on ProjectBeyondBlue.com, the new depression community.
Originally posted on Sanity Break at Everyday Health.
15 Quotes to Inspire People with Chronic Illness
Get Well Soon Quotes
A friend or loved one becoming ill can be a really tough time. Seeing someone you care deeply about unwell or injured is hard to handle. But they need all your support and help during their period of recovery. Making sure they know you’re thinking of and are there for them is really important. A good way to do so is by sending them your best wishes. So use these get well soon quotes to show they’re in your thoughts as they continue to get better.
Inspirational Get Well Soon Quotes
Sometimes the person who is sick needs some inspiration or motivation to feel better. Having some encouraging words from someone they trust and love can help to keep them fighting and be a good reminder of how they’ll overcome whatever it is they’re suffering with. So use one of the get well quotes below to inspire a loved one back to health.
- “Although the world is full of suffering, it’s full also of the overcoming it.” – Helen Keller
- “This too shall pass.” – Persian Sufi Poets
- “Man never made any material as resilient as the human spirit” – Bernard Williams
- “Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny.” – C.S. Lewis
- “There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something tomorrow” – Orison Swett Marden
- “There is one consolation in being sick; and that is the possibility that you may recover to a better state than you were ever in before” – Henry David Thoreau
- “It always seems impossible until its done” – Nelson Mandela
- “Our greatest glory is not in never failing but in rising up every time we fail” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Believe you can and you’re halfway there” – Theodore Roosevelt
- “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now” – Chinese Proverb
- “In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity.” – Albert Einstein
- “Fall seven times, stand up eight” – Japanese Proverb
- “Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.” – Helen Keller
- “Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.” – Charles R. Swendoll
- We know you will overcome this kind of situation. There is nothing we ever wanted right now, but your healing and fast recovery. Get better soon!
- It isn’t always easy, but when you’re not feeling well, I hope it helps to know others are thinking of you, and hoping that you’ll be better very soon. Take good care of yourself
- Recovery is hard work – but you’re not alone. Not a day goes by that you aren’t thought of and wished well
Uplifting Get Well Quotes
Being injured or sick is pretty much always miserable. No one ever has fun when theyre feeling under the weather. So receiving a few words to raise the spirits and be reminded of how much people are thinking of you can be a real boost. You can use these uplifiting get well quotes in a card or say in person to hopefully make whoever is feeling ill a little more positive about everything.
- “Your never know how much they care until you are under the weather.” – C. Kohler
- “The best of healers is good cheer” – Pindus
- “The greatest healing therapy is friendship and love” – Hubert Humphrey
- “The treatment is really a cooperative of a trinity – the patient, the doctor and the inner doctor” – Ralph Bircher
- “Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional” – M. Kathleen Casey
- “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift; that’s why they call it the present” – Eleanor Roosevelt
- “Fear knocked on my door.. I opened it and there was nobody there” Unknown
- “It isn’t always easy, but when you’re not feeling well – hope it helps to know others are thinking of you – and hoping that you’ll be better very soon. Take good care of yourself” –Unknown
- “It is never too late to live happily ever after” – Unknown
- “Tough times don’t last, tough people do.” – Anonymous
- A bowl of warmth, a soft face, a new day. Some get-well thoughts sent your way. Feel better soon
- “Be strong because things will get better. It may be stormy now, but it never rains forever.” – Anonymous
- Little flowers are blooming and telling you to get well soon, so listen to them!
- Look outside – the sun is shining and spurring you on to get well!
- Just remember how everyone is looking forward to seeing you well again
Funny Get Well Soon Quotes
Laughter is known as the best medicine. So what better way to help someone in their recovery than with a funny get well quote! Bring a little bit of fun to their day and hopefully make them feel a bit better by having a laugh with you.
- “Get well cards have become so humorous that if you don’t get sick you’re missing half the fun” – Flip Wilson
- “The art of medicine consists of amusing the patient while nature cures the disease” – Voltaire
- “I enjoy convalescence. It is the part that makes the illness worth while” – George Bernard Shaw
- “I wonder why you can always read a doctor’s bill and you can never read his prescription.” – Finley Peter Dunne
- “Be careful when reading health books; you may die of a misprint.” – Mark Twain
- “A Jewish woman had two chickens. One got sick, so the woman made chicken soup out of the other one to help the sick one get well” – Henry Youngman
- “I reckon being ill as one of the great pleasures of life, provided one is not too ill and is not obliged to work till one is better” – Samuel Butler
- “I know God will not give me anything I can’t handle. I just wish He didn’t trust me so much” – Mother Teresa
- “Sleep, riches, and health to be truly enjoyed must be interrupted” – Johann Paul Friedrich Richter
- “You never know how much they care until you are under the weather” – C. Kohler
- “If I had my way I’d make health catching instead of disease” – Robert Ingersoll
- In case you’re wondering, I sent those flowers for the nurse, not for you! Just kidding! Hope you get well soon by seeing them!
- Pain, pain go away! Come again another day!
Get Well Resources
- Get Well Gifts
- Get Well FAQ: Guide to Writing a Get Well Message
- Get Well Soon Prayers
Terminally Ill Quotes
Text Quotes Circulating through the children’s ward and seeing terminally ill kids, heads shaved, smiling and having a ball despite the tubes and needles sticking into them, I thought: What do I have to worry about? If God takes me, at least I’ve lived for 35 years (Terminally Ill Quotes) Depression and hopelessness are not the only reasons terminally ill patients wish to end their lives. Many individuals see nothing undignified about choosing to end their lives at the time and manner of their choosing – and many view such a choice as the meaningful culmination of a good life (Terminally Ill Quotes) Suppose there were groups of secularists at hospitals who went round the terminally ill and urged them to adopt atheism: ‘Don’t be a mug all your life. Make your last days the best ones. People might suppose this was in poor taste (Terminally Ill Quotes) A woman (Terri Schiavo) was healthy. There was brain damage, there was no question. But from a health point of view, she was not terminally ill (Terminally Ill Quotes) I pray that politicians, lawmakers and religious leaders have the courage to support the choices terminally ill citizens make in departing Mother Earth with dignity and love. (Terminally Ill Quotes) I’m not devastated over a baseball game. If somebody came to me and said, ‘Your wife is terminally ill.’ Or, if my kids and wife get on a plane and I got a call that said, ‘Something happened with the plane,’ that’s devastating. (Terminally Ill Quotes) It’s just like a big chunk of me has been ripped out and I’m not quite whole. I don’t think I’m over dramatizing it, and I’m certainly deserving of it, but the way I feel now, it’s just like you’re talking to someone who is terminally ill and facing death. Death would be preferable to what I am facing. I just feel like imploding upon myself, you know? I just want to go somewhere and disappear (Terminally Ill Quotes) Theres very few things that tear me up and get me, but kids, especially terminally ill kids or kids with diseases… gets me every time (Terminally Ill Quotes) We all just realized that I am terminally ill and I’m dying and I would just prefer to die with less pain and less suffering (Terminally Ill Quotes)
Sometimes we find it hard to get a perfect get well soon messages for our loved ones that are on the sick bed, those we sincerely wish from the bottom of our hearts that they get well soon. Most times we actually know what we feel for them, but just that we find it hard to communicate it. It’s not easy to find the perfect get well messages to someone who is sick. Everybody falls in sick at some point in our lives. That is the time we feel totally helpless and need to look for our friends and relatives for support. It is the perfect time for Get well soon messages
Here is a list of inspirational get well soon quotes that will interest you. We hope you’ll find them valuable
Inspirational Get Well Soon Quotes For Her
1. Hope you feel better soon.
2. I wish you well a hundred times a day…. In my heart.
3. I’m really sorry to hear of your illness. We’re all thinking of you during this time and hope your recovery is a speedy one.
4. While you rest and recover, I’ll be next to you praying and hoping for a smooth and quick recovery.
5. Wishing you all the best with your recovery. May you use this restful time to recharge and energize. All the best.
6. Sending you tons of well wishes for your fast recovery.
7. Sending you well wishes for your quick recovery and good health.
8. Get Well Soon Messages for Boss, Colleague or Coworker<
9. Get well soon and together, we shall continue to find happiness in our friendship.
10. Dear friend, get well soon and rock your life!
11.The most important thing in illness is never to lose heart. Our prayers are with you. Get Well Soon.
12. Thinking of you lots and hoping for your speedy recovery.
13. With good wishes and prayers that you get well soon.
14. Don’t worry; we’re here to stand alongside you as you work to recapture your good health.
15. Get ready; it’s time for you to get well soon.
16. I wish I was a magician so I could make you fit and healthy with the wave of a wand!
17. I will stand beside you forevermore, wishing you good health and a fast recovery.
18. Feel better fast, so I can see you again soon! I miss you so much!
19. I hope you get well really soon! I miss your smile!
20. Here’s a get well wish. Wishing you healing vibes.
21. I pray God heals you quickly with His miraculously healing hands.
Life Quotes: 300 Inspirational Quotes about Life
Perseverance Quotes About Not Giving Up
22. Get Well Soon Messages for Mom, Dad, Brother or Sister
23. Look outside; the sun is shining and it’s telling you to get well soon.
24. Get well soon! Together, we shall make the bond of our friendship even tighter and stronger.
25. I pray to the Almighty to bring you healing and a speedy recovery.
26. Sending all good wishes to my friend. Here’s hoping you’ll get well very soon.
27. I wish the very best health to you, my dear friend.
28. I heard you were in pain. Well, don’t focus on it. LOL, as I mention it. No, really think good thoughts. I love ya! Get well soon!
29. I pray every inch of your body feels better soon! I miss your face!
30. Remember just take it one day at a time, and in no time you will be completely healthy and smiling.
31. I hope this get well wish brings a smile to your face. You are too beautiful to be feeling down.
32. Do what the doctor says and feel better soon! I long to see you again.
33. Get Well Soon Messages for Mom, Dad, Brother or Sister
34. May good health envelop you, spurring a quick recovery.
35. Cheer up! We want to see you fit and well very soon.
36. Get well soon so you can resume bringing brightness and delight to our life!
37. I will continue praying for your good health and a speedy recovery.
38. Say goodbye to that bout of bad health and get well soon.
39. Sending oceans of good wishes for your fast recovery and good health, my friend.
40. Get well soon, dear friend! Your companionship is so important to me. I hope you’re feeling better soon.
41. I pray for my dear friend’s fast recovery and future good health.
42. Get well soon, my dearest friend, as I always want to see you fit and fine.
43. Sending good vibes to you, my dear friend, to help fight your sickness. I hope you get well soon.
Optimistic Quotes To Keep You Going
Greatest Quotes About Being Happy
44. People here are missing you so much. We specifically miss your kindness and humor. Please recover quickly from your illness. We are praying for you day and night friend.
45. I am sorry to hear that you were taken to hospital last night. Let me convey my best wishes and quick recovery from your illness soonest possible my friend.
46. Get well soon so you can once again experience all the fun and delight that life has to offer!
47. Best wishes. I hope that you’re back in the swing very soon.
48. Sending you well wishes for your quick recovery and good health.
49. Get Well Soon Messages for your Girlfriend, Boyfriend, Husband or Wife
50. Get Well Soon Messages for Boss, Colleague or Coworker
Get Well Soon Quotes For Him
51. You can get better fast! Just do it! Be Well!
52. I am sorry to hear of this tough time for you. You’re in my prayers.
53. Know this too will pass. May you heal quickly.
54. Get well soon so we can again rock together!
55. Wishing a very speedy recovery to my friend.
56. Dear friend, bid farewell to your bad health and get ready to greet happiness and wellness!
57. I heard that you are in the hospital. I hope they release you soon because we need you more than they do!
58. Look outside; the sun is shining and it’s telling you to get well soon.
59. The little flowers are rising and blooming; it’s the world’s way of saying, “get well soon.”
60. From dawn to dusk, I pray for your quick recovery and good health.
61. May your recovery be a short but restful one. We’re all thinking of you during this time and we hope you’re back on your feet soon.
62. Our thoughts and prayers are with you as we wish for a complete and restful recovery. Looking forward to catching up with you again soon.
63. Recover well, to be strong and sound. Rest well, to walk on the path to good health.
64. Recovery is hard work – but you’re not alone. Not a day goes by that you aren’t thought of and wished well.
65. Sending you healing thoughts and a little sunshine to brighten your day.
66. Sending you the brightest wishes to say, hope you get well soon.
67. Waiting eagerly for you to recover soon and make my days lively again. Get well quick.
68. We hope you feel better because we miss you so much.
69. Get Well Soon Messages for your Girlfriend, Boyfriend, Husband or Wife
70. Get well soon coz I have lots of fun things to do, but without you they cannot give me joy.
71. Waiting eagerly for you to recover soon and make my days lively again. Get well quick.
72. Recover well, to be strong and sound. Rest well, to walk on the path to good health.
73. Sending positive, healing thoughts to you, my dear friend. I hope you get well very soon.
74. I pray for your good health, my dearest friend.
75. Get well soon so we can once again discover the world and resume our fun!
76. I’m sending you loads of good wishes for a fast recovery.
77. Get well soon so you can once again experience all the fun and delight that life has to offer.
78. Get well soon so you can resume bringing brightness and delight to our life!
79. Get Well Soon. Along with a warm message and fond thoughts.
80. Get Well Soon Messages for a Friend
81. Jealousy is a terrible disease please Get well soon bitch!
82. HATING is an emotional disease… so for those who hate me… Hope you get well soon…
83. Being in the hospital is a downer, but there is good in everything, you are being served breakfast in bed, Get Well Soon.
84. Wishing that each day brings your renewed strength, brighter times, and a healthier, happier you. Get well soon.
85. When I see the moon I think of you so get well soon and you’ll be good as Knew.
86. For life is not to live, but to be well.
Never Give Up Quotes To Stay Strong
Inspirational Softball Quotes To Motivate Your Team
87. As you rest and heal, know that you are thought of warmly and wished a quick recovery.
88. Get well cards have become so humorous that if you don’t get sick you’re missing half the fun.
89. Give yourself whatever gifts of time and rest you need to feel better – and know that you’re surrounded by caring thoughts and prayers and heartfelt wishes. Rest easy. Get well.
90. Hurry up and get the heck out of there!
91. If these flowers were wishes, then my wish for you is to get well soon.
92. Get well soon so that I find you attractive again.
93. Get well soon to someone who thinks they have the flu but probably doesn’t.
94. A bowl of warmth, a soft face, a new day. Some get-well thoughts sent your way. Feel better soon.
95. I enjoy convalescence. It is the part that makes the illness worth while.
96. I reckon being ill as one of the great pleasures of life, provided one is not too ill and is not obliged to work till one is better.
97. I wonder why you can always read a doctor’s bill and you can never read his prescription.
98. Studies clearly indicate that those who get ‘Get Well’ cards sooner and more often have a 80% faster recovery rate, so I want to wish you a Happy Birthday.
99. Heard That You’re Not Feeling Well. So Brought Flowers For You To Make You Feel Healthier And Happier. Get Well Soon!’
100. Health and good humor are to the human body like sunshine to vegetation.
101. Be careful when reading health books; you may die of a misprint.
102. A bad cold wouldn’t be so annoying if it weren’t for the advice of our friends.
103. It is a mathematical fact that fifty percent of all doctors graduate in the bottom half of their class.
104. If I’d known I was going to live so long, I’d have taken better care of myself.
105. I reckon being ill as one of the great pleasures of life, provided one is not too ill and is not obliged to work till one is better.
106. Get-well cards have become so humorous that if you don’t get sick you’re missing half the fun.
107. Physical ills are the taxes laid upon this wretched life; some are taxed higher, and some lower, but all pay something.
108. Sickness is the vengeance of nature for the violation of her laws.
109. Sometimes I get the feeling the aspirin companies are sponsoring my headaches.
110. When an illness knocks you on your ass, you should stay down and relax for a while before trying to get back up.
111. I wonder why you can always read a doctor’s bill and you can never read his prescription.
Inspirational Volleyball Quotes To Motivate Your Teammates
Best Inspirational Messages Plus Quotes
112. You have a cough? Go home tonight; eat a whole box of Ex-Lax – tomorrow you’ll be afraid to cough.
113. If I had my way I’d make health catching instead of disease.
114. The art of medicine consists of amusing the patient while nature cures the disease.
115. Warning: Humor may be hazardous to your illness.
116. Happiness is your dentist telling you it won’t hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill.
117. Learned a long time ago that minor surgery is when they do the operation on someone else, not you.
118. The art of medicine consists of amusing the patient while nature cures the disease.
119. The best of healers is good cheer.
120. The greatest healing therapy is friendship and love.