- Healthy diet
- How healthy is YOUR diet? Take this test to find out whether you need to spring clean your health
- How healthy is your diet?
- Quiz: Do You Eat too Much?
- Nutrition: Tips for Improving Your Health
A healthy diet is essential for good health and nutrition.
It protects you against many chronic noncommunicable diseases, such as heart disease, diabetes and cancer. Eating a variety of foods and consuming less salt, sugars and saturated and industrially-produced trans-fats, are essential for healthy diet.
A healthy diet comprises a combination of different foods. These include:
Here is some useful information, based on WHO recommendations, to follow a healthy diet, and the benefits of doing so.
- Breastfeed babies and young children:
- A healthy diet starts early in life – breastfeeding fosters healthy growth, and may have longer-term health benefits, like reducing the risk of becoming overweight or obese and developing noncommunicable diseases later in life.
- Feeding babies exclusively with breast milk from birth to 6 months of life is important for a healthy diet. It is also important to introduce a variety of safe and nutritious complementary foods at 6 months of age, while continuing to breastfeed until your child is two years old and beyond.
- Eat plenty of vegetables and fruit:
- They are important sources of vitamins, minerals, dietary fibre, plant protein and antioxidants.
- People with diets rich in vegetables and fruit have a significantly lower risk of obesity, heart disease, stroke, diabetes and certain types of cancer.
- Eat less fat:
- Fats and oils and concentrated sources of energy. Eating too much, particularly the wrong kinds of fat, like saturated and industrially-produced trans-fat, can increase the risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Using unsaturated vegetable oils (olive, soy, sunflower or corn oil) rather than animal fats or oils high in saturated fats (butter, ghee, lard, coconut and palm oil) will help consume healthier fats.
- To avoid unhealthy weight gain, consumption of total fat should not exceed 30% of a person’s overall energy intake.
- Limit intake of sugars:
- For a healthy diet, sugars should represent less than 10% of your total energy intake. Reducing even further to under 5% has additional health benefits.
- Choosing fresh fruits instead of sweet snacks such as cookies, cakes and chocolate helps reduce consumption of sugars.
- Limiting intake of soft drinks, soda and other drinks high in sugars (fruit juices, cordials and syrups, flavoured milks and yogurt drinks) also helps reduce intake of sugars.
- Reduce salt intake:
- Keeping your salt intake to less than 5h per day helps prevent hypertension and reduces the risk of heart disease and stroke in the adult population.
- Limiting the amount of salt and high-sodium condiments (soy sauce and fish sauce) when cooking and preparing foods helps reduce salt intake.
- WHO 5 keys to a healthy diet
- WHO healthy diet fact sheet
- WHO salt reduction fact sheet
- WHO obesity and overweight fact sheet
How healthy is YOUR diet? Take this test to find out whether you need to spring clean your health
- BAFTAs 2020: Emilia Clarke opts for vampy chic in a low-cut gown while Zoe Kravitz shimmers in a metallic floor-length dress as they lead the glamour
- PICTURED: Roxanne Pallett marries firefighter Josh Carrion in New York in front of 10 family and friends just TWO months after their engagement
- Caprice Bourret ‘deeply disgusted’ by ex DOI partner Hamish Gaman as she sensationally QUITS show… while ITV are forced to refute bullying claims
- Love Island SPOILER ‘He’s been lying to my face!’ Siannise is left RAGING as Rebecca reveals she enjoyed bedtime cuddles with Luke T
- Khloe Kardashian shows off her plump pout with sister Kourtney as she leaves ‘birthday party of the year’ for Kylie Jenner’s daughter Stormi
- Time for a spring refresh? 5 homeware hacks you NEED to know Ad Feature
- BAFTAs 2020: Naomie Harris and Jessica Chastain lead the stars getting ready for the red carpet with glam behind the scenes snaps Pamper time
- BAFTAs 2020: Vanessa Kirby wows in edgy feathered skirt and glitter top for glam strut down the red carpet
- BAFTAs 2020: Kaitlyn Dever oozes elegance in blush tiered gown as she takes to the red carpet following her Rising Star nomination
- BAFTAs 2020: Taron Egerton looks dapper in a purple velvet tuxedo as he joins his stunning girlfriend Emily Thomas on the red carpet Seeing double
- Victoria Beckham spends the night in her childhood bedroom and gives fans a tour of her former home (complete with a VERY creepy doll collection)
- Lady Gaga takes on J Lo as she busts out SEVEN different looks for Super Bowl party performance… before joking ‘I better hear no lip syncing!’
- Dancing On Ice: Holly Willoughby channels her inner princess in a beautiful blue gown as she prepares to host Fairytale Week
- Nadine Coyle puts on a VERY raunchy display in a busty latex mini dress and knee-high leather boots as she struts her stuff during sizzling performance
- How to be the best version of YOU: Top 10 solutions to health and wellbeing problems that will leave you feeling AND looking good Ad Feature
- Manchester City star Riyad Mahrez ‘is dating RHOC star Dawn Ward’s daughter Taylor after splitting from his ex-model wife Rita’ New couple?
- Lucy Mecklenburgh displays her blossoming bump as she is joined by her nearest and dearest for swanky baby shower
- Love Island SPOILER: Jess opts to KISS Mike during challenge… prompting furious partner Luke M to brand her ‘disrespectful’
- Love Island SPOILER: TWO Islanders have been dumped from the villa… as they make way for 12 new bombshells in Casa Amor Four couples were at risk
- Vanessa Bryant shares fan art of tragic Gigi saying ‘seeing my babygirl smile and happy again warmed my heart’
- Jack Fincham looks tense as he has a very animated chat on the phone before taking his newborn baby girl Blossom out in her pram for the first time
- Chloe Ferry pours her curves into a perilously low-cut unitard and mesh stockings as she hits the town with PVC-clad Sophie Kasaei Looking good
- Dancing On Ice star Libby Clegg forced to PULL OUT of latest show after being struck down with vomiting bug Caprice has also quit the show
- Miley Cyrus looks carefree as she steps out after finalizing her divorce from Liam Hemsworth Was taking care of business
- A ray of sunshine! The Queen brightens up an otherwise rainy day in a baby blue ensemble as she attends church service in Norfolk Radiant
- ‘I’ve got nothing to lose’: Watch Blake Lively transform from girl next door into deadly assassin in her toughest role to date Ad Feature
- Paloma Faith looks every inch the villain for her role as Bet Sykes in Batman spin-off Pennyworth while filming scene in prison warden costume
- Nick Lachey insists Jessica Simpson ‘did not reach out to me’ before publishing memoir about doomed marriage
- Halsey stops performance to call out heckler screaming ex G-Eazy’s name at Budweiser Super Bowl party
- John Cleese, 80, enjoys dinner with his wife Jennifer Wade, 47, and pals in Chelsea… after the death of his Monty Python co-star Terry Jones
- Carol Vorderman puts on an animated display as she wraps up in padded coat and blue jeans for presenting her BBC radio show in Cardiff city centre
- Cardi B puts on a VERY raunchy show in a glittering bodysuit with racy suspenders at pre-Super Bowl gig She put on an incredible performance
- Princess Eugenie looks chic in a floral dress as she arrives at London Heathrow Airport Glamorous
- EastEnders’ Jessie Wallace ‘shocked male crew members with a saucy outburst… before being suspended for boozing on set’ Shock claims
- TALK OF THE TOWN: Georgia ‘Toff’ Toffolo ‘is secretly engaged to millionaire aristocrat George Cottrel’ who was Nigel Farage’s right hand man
- Rebekah Vardy tenderly cradles baby daughter Olivia as she takes newborn tot to see husband Jamie play football for the first time
- Lady Gaga puts on cheeky display in black thong as she snuggles up to her mystery man ‘Michael’ in Miami ahead of pre-Super Bowl performance… after sharing a NYE kiss
- X Factor host Dermot O’Leary reveals he is expecting his first child with wife Dee Koppang… as she debuts her baby bump at BAFTA party
- Sienna Miller, 38, looks radiant in cream striped dress as she is joined by ‘fiancé’ Lucas Zwirner, 29, at Writers Guild Awards Cute couple
- Pamela Anderson SPLITS from her movie producer husband Jon Peters after only 12 DAYS of marriage as the couple ‘take some time apart to re-evaluate’
- Meet the new Casa Amor Love Islanders! A pageant queen, a butler in the buff and three models… the ‘sexiest singletons yet’ set to arrive (and almost ALL have eyes on Luke M)
- ‘We’re treated like SKIVVIES’: Harry and Meghan’s Scotland Yard protection officers ‘claim they’re sent on errands like picking up royals’ groceries
- Jay-Z turned down Super Bowl half-time show ‘on principle’… after NFL insisted he guarantee Kanye West and Rihanna make guest appearances
- Coronation Street boss hints at ‘plans to bring back Julie Goodyear’s legendary character Bet Lynch’ after a 17 year absence Legendary
- Joan Collins, 86, cuts a glamorous figure in a leather co-ord as she cosies up to husband Percy Gibson, 55, on dinner date in LA Married for 18 years
- Sylvester Stallone, 73, showcases his new silver locks as he takes daughters Sophia, 23, and Sistine, 21, to dinner Family fun
- Bill Murray finds himself back in a Groundhog Day loop during Jeep’s Super Bowl commercial This time around things were a lot more bearable
- Kimberley Garner shows off her cleavage in a sexy gold mini dress at Sports Illustrated Super Bowl party Glamorous
- Charlotte Crosby and Ryan Gallagher pack on the PDA as they return to I’m A Celebrity for finale and reveal their romance is going full steam ahead
- Kylie Jenner wheels out THAT giant inflatable toddler head as she brings back STORMI WORLD for daughter’s lavish second birthday bash
- Kaz Crossley and Anthony Joshua don their glad rags to attend rapper Krept’s 30th birthday in London (who turns the party into a gender reveal)
- The Queen blamed HERSELF for her 1992 ‘annus horribilis’: Monarch asked ‘where did I go wrong’ in year of Prince Charles and Andrew’s marriage breakdown
- Coronation Street’s Alison King ‘caught kissing MARRIED co-star Mikey North at the NTAs’… before being ‘escorted’ out amid claims she was ‘drunk’
- Lily Allen looks chic in a green and blue lace gown as she and beau David Harbour lead the stars at Chanel’s pre-BAFTAs 2020 party
- Katherine Jenkins enjoys a lunch date with husband Andrew… after schoolgirl, 15, admitted to mugging the singer when she intervened in ‘violent’ street robbery
- Katie Price RETURNS to rehab as she is spotted outside The Priory… just days after returning from visiting terminally ill mum Amy in Spain
- Heidi Klum wraps up in a huge padded coat and a tracksuit as she gets to work filming Germany’s Next Topmodel Cosy
- Zoe Kravitz wraps up warm on a low key date night with her husband Karl Glusman in London The star cut a low-key figure on Saturday
- Prince Andrew called his ‘victim’ Virginia Roberts ‘a very sick girl’ days after she described her abuse at hands of Jeffrey Epstein
- Newly-single Ashley Roberts puts on a leggy display in a patterned burgundy dress as she steps out for dinner with pals… following split from Giovanni Pernice
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle promote Instagram page which focuses on ‘acts of kindness’ and ‘uplifting stories of community from across the globe’
- BAFTAs 2020: Florence Pugh wows in a red mini dress as she joins Little Women co-stars Saoirse Ronan and Laura Dern at a Nominees Party
- Jourdan Dunn reveals she’s ENGAGED to her ‘life partner’ Dion Hamilton as she shares a glimpse of her dazzling ‘£22,000’ diamond ring
- Jimmy Tarbuck reveals he is being tested for prostate cancer after his upcoming 80th birthday and close friend Tom Jones is helping him through health scare
- Lady Gaga says she ‘better hear no lip-syncing’ during Sunday’s Super Bowl… while performing in Miami Just hours away
- Chrissy Teigen is awestruck as she brings John Legend and Luna to Stormi Webster’s ultra-luxe second birthday party Adorable
- Joanna Lumley and Jo Brand ‘front-runners to replace Sandi Toksvig on the Great British Bake Off’… after the host shockingly quit the C4 show
- Jessie J reveals she enjoys cooking and cleaning more than sex with her reunited beau Channing Tatum Jessie J revealed some of her favourite activities
- Paul McCartney’s wife Nancy Shevell, 60, dazzles in a scarlet wrap dress on dinner date with husband, 77, in Miami as the pair attend Casamigos party
- The Crown: Olivia Colman portrays a giddy Queen Elizabeth II as she joins Tobias Menzies to film Princess Anne’s show jumping scenes for season four
- Gwyneth Paltrow sizzles in sequin Ralph And Russo suit to support hubby Brad Falchuk at WGA Awards where he gets Valentine Davies prize
- Louis Tomlinson admits he ‘isn’t ready’ to make up with One Direction band mate Zayn Malik and says he thinks the singer has been ‘disrespectful’
- Caprice Bourret ‘QUITS Dancing On Ice after struggling with split from partner Hamish Gaman’… after he cryptically claimed ‘the truth will out’
- Kylie Jenner and ex-Travis Scott chat happily together at daughter Stormi’s 2nd birthday bash as they continue to amicably co-parent the tot
- Gaten Matarazzo of Stranger Things reveals his fourth Cleidocranial Dysplasia surgery was a ‘complete success’ The actor suffers from the condition
- Jenna Dewan shows off her growing baby bump after picking up her daughter Everly from practice Jenna looked effortlessly stylish
- SAS: Who Dares Wins star Ant Middleton admits he CHEATED on Everest challenge by flying to a luxury hotel and getting ‘smashed’ – leaving his film crew in tents at 17,000ft
- Katy Perry models Marilyn Monroe hairdo and lei as she poses with Minnie Mouse and goofs off with Ryan Seacrest at Disney resort in Hawaii
- Kaia Gerber shows off her toned figure i a crop top and leggings after a weekend sweat session in West Hollywood Kaia looked incredible in the ensemble
- Game of Thrones star Emilia Clarke reveals why she WON’T Google herself or take selfies… and how it’s become her ‘recipe for success’ Feeling good
- Roxanne Pallett’s honeymoon dreams are extinguished as her fireman husband Jason Carrion is called into work… after the couple married in secret
- Natasha Lyonne puts a punk chic twist on the little black dress as she matches pregnant pal Chloe Sevigny at bi-coastal Writers Guild Awards
- Caitlyn Jenner cuts a cool look in black leather jacket as she steps out for dinner with Sophia Hutchins in West Hollywood Chic
- Christie Brinkley, 66, sizzles in sexy ringmaster costume as she performs with daughter Alexa Ray Joel, 34, at Big Apple Circus in NYC
- Demi Lovato joins Dan + Shay onstage Bud Light Super Bowl Music Fest… ahead of singing National Anthem The 27-year-old pop star rocked Versace leggings
- Mark Wahlberg’s wife Rhea ‘paralyzed with fear’ over him taking flights after tragic death of Kobe Bryant in helicopter crash Struggle
- Guns N’ Roses pays tribute to Kobe Bryant and his daughter Gianna and dedicates performance to the victims of the helicopter crash at the Bud Light Super Bowl Fest
- The Masked Singer: Unicorn is revealed to be The Scissor Sisters’ Jake Shears and Duck is Britpop legend Skin in DOUBLE vote-off
- Madonna, 61, leaves her concert in London after apologising to fans for cancelling more shows and revealing she’s doing six hours of rehab a day
- Reese Witherspoon shows off petite curves in sports leggings during jog and later in denim mini-dress at her son’s soccer practice Taking it easy
- ‘I don’t want to put all of myself out there for the world to see’: Maddison Brown on life after being spotted kissing Liam Hemsworth
- Hailey Bieber flaunts her toned legs in denim shorts after a relaxing spa day in Los Angeles Hailey showcased her toned physique
- Paris Hilton rocks a plunging sequin dress as she takes to the decks to bust out some tunes at the Rolling Stone Super Bowl party in Miami
- Lily-Rose Depp looks effortlessly chic as she dazzles in a sheer gold sequinned dress at Chanel’s pre-BAFTAs 2020 party Chic
- Claire Foy stuns in a plunging black silk jumpsuit as she joins Game Of Thrones star Emilia Clarke at Chanel’s pre-BAFTAs 2020 party
- TALK OF THE TOWN: Is Jude Law, proud dad of one of this country’s most sought-after young models, about to score a six?
- Kourtney Kardashian flaunts her cleavage as she heads to the farmers market on outing with gal pal Larsa Pippen… after their ‘movie night’
- Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson and Oprah Winfrey get in a brisk workout session before the Super Bowl The two went for a run on treadmills
- Kristin Chenoweth shows off petite figure in black flared pants and matching crop-top with puffy sleeves as she’s honored at LGBTQ charity in NYC
- Olivia Culpo takes the plunge in fringe mini as she smolders with NFL beau Christian McCaffrey at Super Saturday Night bash in Miami
- Tina Fey is the picture of business-chic in blue double-breasted suit at Writers Guild Awards in NYC Tina exuded glamour on the outing
- Greta Gerwig and Noah Baumbach holds hands while looking stylish in suits at the 2020 Writers Guild Awards in New York City
- Fancy seeing you here! Locals are left stunned as Tom Hanks dines at a restaurant in rural New South Wales during downtime from filming new Elvis biopic
- That’s not very fancy! Iggy Azalea reveals she suffered an embarrassing fall while shopping in public at Sephora Oops
- Bindi Irwin takes a break from wedding planning to enjoy a family beach trip with mother Terri, brother Robert and fiancé Chandler Powell
- Peter Crouch ‘scores new BBC One prime time entertainment show inspired by James Corden’s The Late Late Show’ One to watch
- The Greatest Dancer: Cheryl shares rare insight into life at home with son Bear, 2, as she reveals he will already be copying one of her act’s moves
- Lizzo rocks a white swimsuit for yacht day and twerk competition in Miami with bikini-clad friends ahead of Super Bowl LIV Work it
- Imogen Thomas wows in a leather mini skirt and thigh-high boots as she continues to flaunt her January weight loss… after vowing she’s still got ‘more to lose’
- Kim Kardashian’s endorsement company claims to be taking offers for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle and asks for commercial requests from its clients
- Princess Eugenie dons a chic printed shirt as she heads to the hairdressers… amid claims her sister Beatrice will ‘marry in London’
- Eiza Gonzalez highlights her cleavage in a low-cut blouse as she attends the AT&T Super Saturday Night concert in Miami Chic
- Breaking Bad’s Aaron Paul and Bryan Cranston play bartender and serve up their new mezcal brand at bar in Miami ahead of Super Bowl
- Prince Charles is caught in eco row after flying 125 miles in the Queen’s helicopter before riding in a Bentley for a speech on cutting carbon emissions
- Tamara Ecclestone is forced to close her children’s skincare company and her chain of hair salons after the US style treatment failed to catch on
- Gillian Anderson looks chic as she joins Laura Dern and Kathleen Kennedy at pre-BAFTAs Fellowship lunch at London’s Savoy
- BAFTAs 2020: Joaquin Phoenix looks dapper in a tailored suit as he joins his Joker co-star Zazie Beetz at a Nominees Party ahead of event
- Gemma Arterton oozes sartorial chic in a fitted corset top and culottes as she arrives at Chanel’s pre-BAFTAs 2020 party Glam
- Hugh Grant, 59, is every bit the gentleman in a dapper ensemble as he arrives with wife Anna Eberstein, 36, for Chanel’s pre-BAFTAs party
- Helen McCrory, 51, wows in a metallic bronze feathered dress as she joins husband Damian Lewis, 48, at Chanel’s pre-BAFTAs 2020 party
- The Real’s Adrienne Bailon reunites with co-host Loni Love at NAACP Image Awards luncheon The talented twosome looked in good spirits
- Hilary Duff is a star in a striped skirt and cream jumper as she stops by #BlogHer20 health event to promote using natural beauty products
- Jay-Z defends his partnership with the NFL ahead of Super Bowl PSA about police brutality, says he can handle ‘negative press’ from his fallout with Colin Kaepernick
- Love Island’s Francesca Allen looks effortlessly chic in a beige shirt dress as she enjoys a night out with friends in London
- Love Island: Dumped islander Eve Gale says she ‘misses Jess more than ever’ as she shares sizzling post of the pair in matching red bikinis
- Nick Lachey has ‘not read a single word’ of Jessica Simpson’s new memoir… after she let loose on their marriage and divorce
- Jodie Turner-Smith is having a girl! Actress accidentally lets the gender slip on The Graham Norton Show
- Christina Aguilera challenges Spanish songstress Rosalia to a friendly game of Mario Kart during a chance hangout in Los Angeles
- Michael Barrymore pool death ‘was MURDER’: Detective says Stuart Lubbock was ‘raped and deliberately killed’ as he launches probe into tragedy 18 years ago
- Eva Mendes, 45, takes the high road when an Instagram troll says ‘she’s getting old’: ‘Thank God I’m getting old. That means I’m still here’
- Emily Ratajkowski flaunts her taut tummy in a crop top and miniskirt as she joins the stars at Michael Rubin’s Fanatics Super Bowl Party
- Saturday Night Live: J.J. Watt is The Pilot Hunk as the NFL star parodies The Bachelor in his first hosting stint
- TALK OF THE TOWN: Catherine Zeta Jones shows off Celtic genes to visitors at her £4million mansion with Welsh trinkets
- Julianne Hough and her husband Brooks Laich share a laugh as they step out for breakfast together… amid rumours of their separation
- Kate Ferdinand breaks down in tears while Rio insists there’s ‘no manual to become a stepmum’ in teaser for stepfamily documentary
- TALK OF THE TOWN: He may not like blenders, but he’s not averse to mixing up his love life! Gavin Rossdale spotted with mystery blonde after splitting with Russian playboy model girlfriend over £1,000 blender
- Ciara hides her baby bump under textured silver blazer dress as she leads the pack of celebrities and athletes at the NFL Honors in Miami
- ‘Rude and downright embarrassing’: Jim Carrey is BLASTED by fans for joke implying Margot Robbie’s successful career is thanks to her looks
- Katie Holmes and daughter Suri Cruise bundle up in cosy puffer jackets as they enjoy a mother and daughter day out in NYC
- The 1975 cancel Laneway gig after singer Matt Healy is hospitalised and ‘too weak’ to play after coming down with a ‘serious sickness’
- Love Island’s Shaughna Phillips fails to impress MIC star Sam Thompson in VERY awkward Celebs Go Dating clip… a year before her villa stint
- Jennifer Lopez shows off her stunning abs while rehearsing for her Super Bowl halftime performance… after Bad Bunny is added to the lineup
- Off for a spin, ma’am? The Queen gets behind the wheel of her Range Rover as he prepares to end her annual Sandringham stay
- Sienna Miller, 38, gets engaged for the third time to 29-year-old toyboy Lucas Zwirner… but seems shy about showing off her ring
- Prince Andrew, the world is watching: Four of Jeffrey Epstein’s victims write an open letter to the Duke urging him to talk to the FBI for the sake of ‘your daughters’
- Mick Jagger seduced me when I was 15: Actress Rae Dawn reveals how she spent night with Rolling Stone when she was underage and he was married to Bianca
- Victoria Beckham, 45, bears an uncanny resemblance to son Romeo, 17, as she shares sweet throwback snap of her younger self
- The Greatest Dancer: Cheryl’s group The Queens and Todrick’s commercial act Ryan are the FIRST to be voted off
- Demi Lovato leaves Miami nightclub with a mystery man at 6AM… ahead of Sundays Super Bowl performance
- Ed Sheeran looks disappointed as he and wife Cherry Seaborn watch their beloved football team Ipswich Town lose 4-1 to Peterborough United
- Sarah Michelle Gellar thanks a friend for being the inadvertent reason she’s spent 20 years with her beloved husband Freddie Prinze Jr.
- ‘I was such a fraud!’: Newly-unearthed clip shows the moment Meghan Markle admits she fibbed to casting directors about being in an actor’s union so she could land a part
- ELIZABETH DAY: Andrew’s cancer ‘joke’ was bad enough… but it’s timing just days after pictures emerged of him arm-in-arm with Virginia Roberts made it even worse
- Christine McGuinness is casual in a cosy pink fur jacket as she arrives in Manchester… after urging Strictly Come Dancing bosses to sign her up
- Gang of Four guitarist Andy Gill, 64, dies two months after finishing tour as band pay tribute to ‘genius’ who was ‘one of the best’
- Kimberley Garner flaunts her incredible figure in a plunging blue thong swimsuit as she takes a dip in the sea during downtime in Miami
- Love Island: Latest Casa Amor bombshell REVEALED as ripped, bikini-loving events manager Natalia Zoppa, 20, from Manchester
- Gabrielle Union flaunts her fabulous legs as she dances in the rain during Miami photoshoot
- Post Malone spills $50k cash as he hits Miami nightclub after Super Bowl weekend performance
- Revealed: Prince Andrew made sick ‘gag’ about breast cancer that is ‘too offensive to be repeated’ in boorish texts to his friend Jonathan Rowland
- Rita Ora delightedly unveils her new ‘Zog’ neck tattoo… as she reveals the Albanian word is the pet name given to her by beloved mum Vera
- Kylie Jenner says she and Stormi were ‘meant for each other’ as she shares tender throwbacks in tribute to her daughter’s second birthday
- Una Healy poses in rare loved-up snap with beau David Breen before impressing fans by speaking Swahili as they continue sun-soaked Zanzibar holiday
- Selena Gomez continues to move on from ’emotionally abusive’ relationship with Justin Bieber as she packs away bikes they rode during brief reunion
- Nicki Minaj will earn $125K to host a post-Super Bowl party… as stars cash in big on the lavish Miami football festivities Party
- Feel free to finally try a sip of alcohol’: Kate Beckinsale wishes look-alike daughter Lily a happy 21st birthday
- Montana Brown shows ex Elliott Reeder what he’s missing as she shares SIZZLING bikini-clad selfie
- Jade Thirlwall sends Little Mix fans wild after posting a cryptic snap of herself recording vocals in the studio as she teases a new sixth album
- Heavily pregnant Nicole Trunfio puts her bump on display as she poses completely nude during glamorous desert photo shoot
- Myleene Klass looks effortlessly chic as she rocks a stylish fedora and trench coat for solo commute to her radio duties in London
- Cameron Diaz keeps it casual in a cardigan as she hits up a facial spa after welcoming firstborn daughter Raddix last month
- Love Island’s Casa Amor FIRST LOOK: The relationship-testing second villa is revealed ahead of the arrival of a new batch of sexy singletons
- Aretha Franklin’s niece relinquishes role as singer’s executor due to ongoing ‘rift in the family’
- Rachel Lindsay and LaLa Anthony indulge in fast food treats at Bootsy On The Water Party With McDonald’s And Post Malone
- Friends of US attorney who slammed Prince Andrew say he’ll ‘ruthlessly pursue all leads’ in Jeffrey Epstein probe – as he’s compared to Chuck Rhoades from Billions
- Justin Bieber mourns the loss of Kobe Bryant with $1200 tribute art to the basketball legend
- ‘Wedding throwback!’ Kate Ferdinand fangirls as she attends Ashanti concert in London… five months after husband Rio surprised her with the R&B icon at their Turkey nuptials
- Kobe Bryant’s prom date Brandy says she’ll ‘never understand’ his death as she offers her condolences nearly a week after loss of the NBA All-Star and his daughter Gianna, 13
- Diddy suits up in classic black as he and others pay tribute to Kobe Bryant during Shaq’s Funhouse party for Super Bowl weekend
- Love Island’s Molly-Mae Hague looks sensational as she models several different looks while shooting her latest clothing collection in LA
- Rodrigo Alves showcases the results of her latest surgery in a busty pink sequinned dress as she steps out in Istanbul
- Star Wars: Phantom Menace actor Jake Lloyd who starred as young Anakin Skywalker is struggling with paranoid schizophrenia, his mother says
- Piers Morgan blasts BBC’s Horrible Histories children’s show for ‘trashing Britain’ with Brexit-themed song
- Harry Styles CANCELS pre-Super Bowl show in Florida due to severe storm warnings… as heartbroken fans hit out at event organisers for poor safety conditions amid shock evacuation
- Fern Britton and Phil Vickery ‘often weren’t on speaking terms and their recent separation has been on the cards for years’… following the death of the TV star’s father Tony
- Tamara Ecclestone beams as she hits the ski slopes with her Jay and Sophia… after being forced to make ‘difficult decision’ to close two of her businesses
- Emily Atack and Jack Fincham ‘caught KISSING at the NTAs and couldn’t keep their hands off each other’… days after the Love Island star became a new dad
- DOI’s Caprice Bourret displays painful injuries from training with new pro Oscar Peter… just hours after ex- skating partner Hamish Gaman insisted ‘he’s not okay’ amid bitter split
- Jim Carrey reveals he WOULD be happy to portray The Mask again but only if a ‘crazy visionary filmmaker’ was making a sequel
How healthy is your diet?
(HealthDay)—As Americans, we’re making some headway in our efforts to improve the quality of our diet, but we’re far from ideal levels.
Research shows that healthier eating prevented over a million premature deaths in the 13-year period from 1999 to 2012, along with 8.6 percent fewer heart disease cases, 1.3 percent fewer cancer cases, and 12.6 percent fewer type 2 diabetes cases.
An index that measures diet quality increased from 40 to over 48, but that’s still a long way from the perfect score of 110.
Also, most of the improvement came from just two steps—reducing consumption of trans fat (largely because of government action to ban it) and sugar-sweetened beverages. Little progress was made in most of the key components of a healthy diet.
An analysis of data from the USDA Economic Research Service by the Pew Research Center found that while we’re eating more chicken and less beef, we’re also each consuming 36 pounds of cooking oil a year—three times the amount Americans ate 50 years ago. We’re also each eating on average 23 percent more calories than we were back then. It’s no wonder obesity rates are so high.
And yet it only takes small changes to make a difference. For instance, one report found that what’s needed to turn the average diet into one that can reduce heart disease risk isn’t complicated: It should be rich in fish, fruit and vegetables, and low in full-fat dairy products and meat.
Wondering where to begin? Baby steps can make a difference. Eating just 3 more ounces of fish a week and 3 more ounces each of raw vegetables, fresh fruit, and lean protein like chicken every day promotes healthier blood vessels and decreases inflammation. This, in turn, can help keep heart disease at bay.
Here’s how to pack protein into your diet More information: You can read the Pew Research Center report on the health of the American diet online and see how your diet compares.
Copyright © 2018 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Citation: How healthy is your diet? (2018, June 13) retrieved 2 February 2020 from https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-06-healthy-diet.html This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
Quiz: Do You Eat too Much?
We all love to have a snack every now and then, but when you find yourself eating without even noticing it, you could be taking in too much. Whether it’s for emotional reasons or even just because you’re bored, this quiz can help you find out where your meals (or meals between meals) come from.
1. Your boss tells you she’s not happy with your work. You:
- Go to the cafeteria and comfort yourself with a snack from the vending machine
- Get on the phone and bad-mouth her to your friends
- Immediately make plans to become more focused on your work
2. Your 5-year-old son doesn’t finish supper. You:
- Eat the leftovers — good food should not go to waste
- Insist he finishes his meal
- Give the leftovers to the dog
3. When you’re bored, you:
- Head for the fridge — it’s snack time!
- Occasionally snack, but try to stick to fruit and veggies
- Call a friend, browse the Internet or find some way to stay busy
4. You’ve just eaten a bag of potato chips even though you weren’t hungry.
- Guilty, angry or ashamed
- You feel bad — but commit to not overeating the rest of the week
- You’re not too worried. Random snacking like this doesn’t happen often
5. You’ve joined a weight-loss group and lost weight this week. Feeling pleased, you:
- Treat yourself to your favourite foods — you deserve it
- Splurge on a new dress to show off your slimmer figure
- Use the news as motivation to keep working
6. How do you plan your family’s weekly meals?
- I have a busy family life. We have fast foods most days
- I usually plan for the week, but every now and then get quick and easy take-out
- I plan our meals and shop ahead
7. You are having trouble making a big decision about an important issue. You:
- Go out for a muffin and coffee — eating calms you and helps you come to a decision
- Write out pros and cons for different options, and then celebrate with a treat when you’ve come to a decision
- Work on something else — you’ll come to a decision later
8. Do you tend to graze all day long, never allowing yourself to really feel hungry?
- Almost always — I can’t concentrate when I’m hungry
- Sometimes, mostly when I’m bored
- Never. I eat three healthy meals a day
If You Answered Mostly As
You might be turning to food when you’re emotional. Break the cycle by listening to your body’s cues. If the urge to overindulge hits, do something else instead — like going for a walk. If you’re truly distressed about your situation, speak with your doctor.
If You Answered Mostly Bs
You are on the right track but occasionally turn to food for comfort. Food should be pleasurable — be careful not to overdo it. To develop healthier habits, write down what you eat and why.
If You Answered Mostly Cs
You’re a healthy eater and deal appropriately with emotions.
Help for Overcoming Emotional Eating
- Try to get enough sleep: Sleep deprivation tends to increase hunger by decreasing the appetite-regulating hormone that signals fullness.
- Find alternatives to eating: Go for a walk or try a form of relaxation such as yoga.
- Beat boredom by finding a new hobby or revisiting an old one
- Volunteer: You’ll most likely be staying active while helping others, too!
- Don’t bottle up your emotions — learn to speak your mind.
- Exercise: Research shows that working out helps relieve stress and makes you feel good about yourself.
- Drink water: Thirst is often mistaken for hunger.
When your to-do list just keeps multiplying and you feel like there’s “never enough time in the day,” you may eat the majority of your meals on autopilot. And hey, sometimes that’s necessary. If you want to give your everyday eating habits a healthy diagnostic though, try taking the healthy diet quiz designed by nutrition experts at the University of Newcastle in Australia.
The 10-minute questionnaire differs from other online quizzes about what constitutes a healthy diet. Yes, you’ll run through familiar questions about your macros (the fats, proteins, and carbohydrates that make up your diet). But the quiz also names a specific food—like pumpkin—and ask whether you eat it “less than once a week or never” or “once a week or more often.” Because of this extra step, the quiz gets a more better idea of what a week of eating looks like for you.
After answering questions about about the vegetables, fruits, proteins, plant-based proteins, grains, dairy, condiments, and water you consume over the course of seven days, your diet gets a score up to 73 points. A score below 33 “needs work,” between 33 and 38 is “getting there,” between 39 and 46 is “excellent,” and above 47 is “outstanding.” You’ll also get a comprehensive report on the areas where your diet is fueling you, and the parts that could use improvement.
At first, I felt personally offended by my score of 37 points. Then I realized that I wasn’t being penalized for the food already in my diet. Instead, the folks at the University of Newcastle want me to diversify the eating styles of those who take the 10-minute questionnaire. For example, I mostly eat cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, and spinach for my daily intake of veggies. Maybe I need to shake things up and add in green peas, tomato, and corn.
Whether you decide to take every piece of advice or not, the quiz serves to identify nutritional holes in the 21 meals you consume on a weekly basis.
Stock up on a dietitian’s Whole Foods shopping list to add a little variety to your fridge:
Learn the “core four” for making a healthy plate at every meal, and don’t forget healthy desserts, too!
Nutrition: Tips for Improving Your Health
Good nutrition is one of the keys to a healthy life. You can improve your health by keeping a balanced diet. You should eat foods that contain vitamins and minerals. This includes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, dairy, and a source of protein.
Ask yourself the following questions. If you answer yes to any of them, talk to your doctor about your health. You may need to improve your eating habits for better nutrition.
- Do you have a health problem or risk factor, such as high blood pressure or high cholesterol?
- Did your doctor tell you that you can improve your condition with better nutrition?
- Do diabetes, cancer, heart disease, or osteoporosis run in your family?
- Are you overweight?
- Do you have questions about what foods you should eat or whether you should take vitamins?
- Do you think that you would benefit from seeing a registered dietitian or someone who specializes in nutrition counseling?
Path to improved health
It can be hard to change your eating habits. It helps if you focus on small changes. Making changes to your diet may also be beneficial if you have diseases that can be made worse by things you are eating or drinking. Symptoms from conditions such as kidney disease, lactose intolerance, and celiac disease can all benefit from changes in diet. Below are suggestions to improve your health. Be sure to stay in touch with your doctor so they know how you are doing.
- Find the strong and weak points in your current diet. Do you eat 4-5 cups of fruits and vegetables every day? Do you get enough calcium? Do you eat whole grain, high-fiber foods? If so, you’re on the right track! Keep it up. If not, add more of these foods to your daily diet.
- Keep track of your food intake by writing down what you eat and drink every day. This record will help you assess your diet. You’ll see if you need to eat more or less from certain food groups.
- Think about asking for help from a dietitian. They can help you follow a special diet, especially if you have a health issue.
Almost everyone can benefit from cutting back on unhealthy fat. If you currently eat a lot of fat, commit to cutting back and changing your habits. Unhealthy fats include things such as: dark chicken meat; poultry skin; fatty cuts of pork, beef, and lamb; and high-fat dairy foods (whole milk, butter, cheeses). Ways to cut back on unhealthy fats include:
- Rather than frying meat, bake, grill, or broil it. Take off the skin before cooking chicken or turkey. Try eating fish at least once a week.
- Reduce any extra fat. This includes butter on bread, sour cream on baked potatoes, and salad dressings. Use low-fat or nonfat versions of these foods.
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables with your meals and as snacks.
- Read the nutrition labels on foods before you buy them. If you need help with the labels, ask your doctor or dietitian.
- When you eat out, be aware of hidden fats and larger portion sizes.
- Staying hydrated is important for good health. Drink zero- or low-calorie beverages, such as water or tea. Sweetened drinks add lots of sugar and calories to your diet. This includes fruit juice, soda, sports and energy drinks, sweetened or flavored milk, and sweetened iced tea.
Things to consider
Balanced nutrition and regular exercise are good for your health. These habits can help you lose or maintain weight. Try to set realistic goals. They could be making some of the small diet changes listed above or walking daily.
Doctors and dietitians suggest making healthy eating habits a part of daily life rather than following fad diets. Nutrition tips and diets from different sources can be misleading. Keep in mind the advice below, and always check with your doctor first.
- Secret diets aren’t the answer. Fad or short-term diets may promise to help you lose weight fast. However, they are hard to keep up with and could be unhealthy.
- Good nutrition doesn’t come in a pill. Try eating a variety of foods instead. Your body benefits most from healthy whole foods. Only take vitamins that your doctor prescribes.
- Diet programs or products can confuse you with their claims. Most people in these ads get paid for their endorsements. They don’t talk about side effects, problems, or regained weight.
Questions to ask your doctor
- How many servings should I eat from each food group?
- If I’m on a strict diet, such as vegetarian or vegan, how can I improve my health?
- Are there certain eating habits I should follow for my health condition?
American Academy of Family Physicians, Nutrition: How to Make Healthier Food Choices
U.S. Department of Agriculture, ChooseMyPlate
- Cancer Prevention
- Healthy Eating Overview
- Food Facts
- New American Plate
- Physical Activity
- Hot Topics
- Cancer Health Check
- BMI Calculator
- Cancer Survival
- Treatment Tips
- Types of Cancer
- Coping with Cancer in the Kitchen
- New American Plate
- By the Numbers
- Stories of Impact
- Our Mission
- Our History
- Policy & Advocacy
- Resources for
- Health Professionals
- For Caregivers
- Families & Children
- Estate Planners
- Estate Planner’s Corner
- Asset Transfer Information
- Bequest Information
- Applicable Federal Rates
- Gift Planning Advisors Grid
- Gift Calculator
- Gift Planning Update
- Shop Resources
- Resources for
- Research & Grants
- Browse Studies
- Grant Program
- Research Conference
- Fellowship Program
- Third Expert Report
- The Continuous Update Project
- Research & Grants
- Donate Now
- Ways to Give
- All Ways to Give
- Personal Gifts
- Donate Online Now
- Memorial Gifts
- Donate a Vehicle
- Professional Giving
- Workplace Giving
- Matching Gifts
- Social Giving
- Digital Giving
- Host an Event
- Planned Giving
- Corporate Partnerships