This story, by Jeanne Lee, originally appeared on CBS’ Moneywatch.com
With the holidays over, you may be looking down at the bulging evidence of too much merriment around your waistline. If you’ve resolved to lose weight in 2010, you might be considering signing up for a commercial diet plan, such as Weight Watchers, Nutrisystem, or Jenny Craig.
The TV ads, filled with celebrity endorsers and regular people holding out their enormous “old jeans” make the diet plans sound terribly tempting. Although a new FTC rule now requires testimonial ads to cite typical results, the looming question still remains: Which of these diet programs are worth your money?
To find out, MoneyWatch analyzed eight of the biggest diet plans. Three are support-only plans that don’t require you to buy their food, and five are food-delivery plans. We interviewed leading nutritionists and weight-loss professionals, pored through clinical studies, and tallied up membership fees and food costs to determine the ones most likely to help you slim down and to see how much you’d pay to drop 20 pounds.
Our favorite for value and efficacy is Weight Watchers, designed to help you change your eating habits for good. Nutrisystem is the least expensive meal delivery plan we reviewed (Medifast is cheaper, but you have to provide one meal a day on your own). And the silver-spoon award undoubtedly goes to In The Zone Delivery, a white-glove service for people who’ll spare no expense to drop the pounds.
Here’s how the plans stack up. See the handy chart at the bottom of the page for a side-by-side comparison.
Cost: Choose the $39.95 monthly pass, which includes unlimited meetings and online support. If you won’t go to meetings, the best online-only deal is the three-month $65 plan (with automatic monthly renewal at $16.95 thereafter).
The skinny: The oldest national weight-loss program, its members rave about the encouragement they get at weekly meetings led by former Weight Watchers dieters. Nutritionists praise the portion-control points system: Each food is assigned points based on its serving size, calories, fiber, and fat; and no foods are forbidden. Your point allowance is based on your weight, height, gender, age, and activity level. “Weight Watchers has done a good job incorporating cognitive behavioral change to weight management,” says Martin Binks, professor of psychology at Duke University Medical Center.
Does it work? Yes. A recent clinical study in the New England Journal of Medicine linked group counseling sessions to weight-loss success. That explains why Weight Watchers has impressive short-term results. A 2005 study in the Annals of Internal Medicine showed participants lost an average of about 5 percent of their body weight (10 pounds) in six months. Two years later, they had kept about half the weight off. To help members stay on track, Weight Watchers encourages them to attend meetings until they’ve stayed within 2 pounds of their goal weight for six weeks. After that, you get free lifetime membership. The company says members using its online tools in addition to attending meetings lost 50 percent more weight than those going to meetings alone.
How much can you expect to lose? 1 to 2 pounds per week
Cost to lose 20 pounds: $120 to $200 with the monthly pass, including membership and 12 to 20 meetings. Figure on about $80 more in the six-week maintenance phase.
Cost per pound of weight loss: $6 to $10, not including food
Worth the money? Yes. It’s economical and has a proven track record.
We looked at two plans from eDiets – one that offers support alone, and another with meal delivery.
Cost: For the support-only plan, about $18 per month, billed to your credit card (with a $25 fee if you cancel within three months). The optional meal delivery service, eDiets Fresh Prepared Meal Delivery, costs about $100 per week plus $20 shipping, and includes the online service.
The skinny: You can choose from among more than 20 diet plans, including ones for diabetics and vegetarians. Online tools let you set goals, plan menus and generate shopping lists. There’s no face-to-face support, but you get support through online message boards and a mentor program that connects newbies with an experienced member. Also, you can reach a registered dietitian or personal trainer by phone at any time. The optional meal delivery service offers freshly prepared, calorie-controlled meals delivered by FedEx. Daily calorie intake: 1,150 to 1,670 calories.
Does it work? “People really seem to love message boards, but there is no data yet to show whether they are effective in helping with weight loss,” says Binks. But telephone support has some evidence in its favor: “A couple of studies have shown that telephone support is just as effective as live support,” says Christine Gerbstadt, M.D., spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association.
How much can you expect to lose? 1.5 to 2 pounds per week.
Cost to lose 20 pounds: For online membership, $54 for three months; for meal delivery, $1,556 including online membership for 13 weeks.
Cost per pound of weight loss: $2.70 for online-only plan; $78 for meal delivery
Worth the money? Online membership: Yes, it’s a bargain for round-the-clock support. Meal delivery: No: For about the same money, other services offer better track records.
Cost: $65 for three months ($5 a week); minimum commitment of four weeks.
The Skinny: Southbeachdiet.com is an online version of the “good carbs/good fats” diet created by cardiologist Arthur Agatston. For the first two weeks, you eat three extremely low-carb meals a day plus mandatory snacks. After that, you gradually add “good carbs,” such as fruits and whole grains. You can customize menus, search a database of more than 1,000 recipes and get a personalized shopping list. There’s online support from staff dieticians and members plus daily motivational emails.
Does it work? Studies have shown that after one year, carb-restricted diets led to greater weight loss and increased heart health than low-fat diets. However, the advantage disappeared over the long term.
How much can you expect to lose? Figure on 8 to 13 pounds during the two- week kick-start phase, then 1 to 2 pounds a week thereafter.
Cost to lose 20 pounds: $65, plus the $15 cost of the South Beach book
Cost per pound of weight loss: $3.25, not including food
Worth the money? Maybe: It doesn’t cost much, but you don’t get as much support as with Weight Watchers or eDiets.
In the Zone Delivery
Cost: About $40 per day plus $3 to $10 delivery fee
The skinny: The Zone diet is mostly meat, fruits, and vegetables. Home-delivered “gourmet” frozen meals have a ratio of 40 percent carbs/30 percent proteins/30 percent favorable fats, designed to promote stable insulin levels, increased energy and weight loss. You eat three meals per day plus two Zone protein-powder snacks.
Does it work? Yes. A 2007 study of 160 people in the Journal of American Medical Association found the Zone diet helped people achieve modest weight loss after one year, comparable with those on the Atkins, Weight Watchers and Ornish diets, and improved cardiac risk factors.
How much can you expect to lose? “Many customers lose 5 pounds a week, but don’t get confused: Some of this is water weight,” says Don Ruttenberg, CEO of Fresh Food Delivered, the company behind In the Zone Delivery. “What you really lose in body fat is 1 to 1.5 pounds per week.”
Cost to lose 20 pounds: $4,480 for 16 weeks of food (assuming 1.25 pounds of fat loss per week)
Cost per pound of weight loss: $224
Worth the money? No, unless you’re looking for white-glove service.
Cost: $20 for 10-week membership, plus $84 to $126 a week for Jenny Craig food. One-year premium membership is $359.
The skinny: Premium-priced Jenny Craig lets you order its heart-healthy, nutritionally balanced packaged food by phone and pick it up at a Jenny Craig center or have it delivered through Jenny Direct. You eat three Jenny Craig meals plus a snack per day, and supplement with fruit, vegetables and dairy. “The food may lack zesty flavor, but it teaches portion control through visualizing, so when you go out to eat in a restaurant you’ll know how big a piece of meat you want to eat,” says Gerbstadt. Once a week, you get a weigh-in and pep talk with a consultant – who is not a dietician and who earns commissions from selling you products. There’s also round-the-clock phone support.
Does it work? Jenny Craig has a good track record for short-term weight loss (up to one year). In a UC San Diego clinical trial of 442 dieters (funded by Jenny Craig), Jenny Craig clients lost 11 percent of their initial weight after 12 months, compared with 3 percent weight loss by those who were dieting on their own.
How much can you expect to lose? 1 to 2 pounds per week
Cost of losing 20 pounds: $1,070 to $2,120, including food, depending on rate of loss.
Cost per pound of weight loss: $54 to $106 per pound
Worth the money? Yes – it’s got reasonably priced meal delivery and in-person support.
Cost: About $180 per week plus $25 FedEx delivery
The skinny: The “doctor-designed” Bistro M.D. program aims to provide a rotating menu of FedEx’d, portion-controlled, frozen meals that are a cut above the usual packaged diet fare. (The price is a cut above the competition, too.) The plan tries to help you avoid a weight-loss stall out by varying the daily calorie intake between 1,100 and 1,400. By eating a little more some days and a little less on others, you’ll supposedly prevent your body from becoming used to the same number of calories every day. Bistro M.D. also offers a Biggest Loser meal plan designed by the doctors and nutritionists associated with the TV show. Bistro M.D. doesn’t do much in the way of organized support, but you can speak with a registered dietitian by phone upon request.
Does it work? While no university studies support the theory that varying caloric intake aids weight loss, the high quality of the food and the relatively large portion sizes have been praised by Health magazine, Dr. Phil and The New York Times. Some plan users have complained of a lack of choices and menu flexibility compared to other plans, but a company spokesman says they offer more than 100 entrees and can make substitutions to accommodate allergies and food preferences.
How much can you expect to lose? 2 to 3 pounds per week
Cost of losing 20 pounds: About $1,440 for 8 weeks of food
Cost per pound of weight loss: $72
Worth the money? Yes. It’s a reasonable price for well-made food with slightly faster average weight loss than with Jenny Craig.
Cost: About $333 for four weeks of meals, plus $20 shipping; $148 for 14-day starter program purchased through Walmart
The skinny: This meal-delivery service, endorsed by Marie Osmond and Dan Marino, emphasizes foods with a low glycemic index. The underlying premise is that controlling blood sugar levels leads to weight loss. The heat-and-eat prepared meals and snacks contain roughly 55 percent “good” carbs, 25 percent protein, and 20 percent fats; like Jenny Craig, you add fruits, vegetables and dairy. Nutrisystem also offers the cheaper, five-day Flex plan ($235 for women, $260 for men) in which you eat food you choose for the other two days a week, and a fancier Select plan, which has frozen “restaurant-style” entrees ($411 for four weeks). Support is available through phone counseling and online chat rooms.
Does it work? There’s plenty of research showing that following a diet of 1,200 to 1,500 calories a day, such as Nutrisystem, can cause weight loss. For example, a study by the Obesity Research Center at St. Luke’s Roosevelt Hospital in New York found that postmenopausal women who followed a 1,200-calorie plan for 16 weeks lost an average of 21 pounds.
How much can you expect to lose? 2 to 3 pounds per week.
Cost of losing 20 pounds: About $706 for eight weeks of food on the standard plan.
Cost per pound of weight loss: $35
Worth the money? Yes: For a meal-delivery diet system, Nutrisystem is more economical than Jenny Craig.
Cost: About $300 per month or $80 per week
The skinny: Although today’s program is not as stringent as the original liquid fast Medifast launched decades ago, the low-fat, relatively low-carb plan is designed to bring about rapid weight loss by coaxing your body into a “fat-burning state” known as ketosis. With the Medifast 5 & 1 Plan, you eat five small, 100-calorie meal replacements a day (which you order online and have delivered) plus one “lean and green” meal you prepare, consisting of about 500 calories of lean chicken, fish or meat plus three servings of low-carb salad or green vegetables. The 70 meal replacement choices include shakes, bars, soups, pudding, oatmeal, chili, pretzel sticks, cheese puffs, and scrambled eggs.
Does it work? If you can stick with it, a diet of 1,000 calories a day can certainly induce rapid weight loss. A common concern with such low-calorie diets is that you’ll quickly regain the weight, but in a small clinical trial recently published in the journal Experimental Biology, after 10 months, only about one in five people regained all the weight they had lost.
How much can you expect to lose? 2 to 5 pounds per week
Cost of losing 20 pounds: $480, plus your own groceries for the “lean and green” meals
Cost per pound of weight loss: $24 (plus groceries)
Worth the money? Maybe: Choose this more extreme plan only if quick weight loss is your priority.
More on MoneyWatch:
• Eat Your Way to Success
• What to Eat Now … for Every Work Situation
• How to Eat Right on the Job
• Get the Most Out of Your Health Benefits
Just looking at the Jenny Craig cost per month will cause some of you to drop your jaw in disbelief.
Certainly, it isn’t for someone on a fixed budget or just living paycheck to paycheck. There is some serious cash required to join this program and for most people, it will require some big compromises in other spending habits.
- The Extremely High Cost Of Jenny Craig
- Much Better Options To Lose Weight
- To Do List For Maximum Weight Loss
- 2. Track Your Calories With A Fitness Tracker
- 3. Eat Extra Protein
- 4. Do Some Easy Exercise (The Easiest Exercise) To Burn Extra Calories
- Easiest Weight Loss Program With Maximum Success
- Jenny Craig Cost: Price by Day, Week & Month
- How Much Does Jenny Craig Cost in 2020?
- Online/Phone + Delivery Plans & Pricing Details
- Local Center + Pick Up Plan
- Food Prices by Day, Week, Month
- Grocery Costs
- Cheaper Alternatives?
- Pricing Summary
- Jenny Craig Reviews, Cost, Results
- What is Jenny Craig Rapid Results?
- How Does it Work?
- Jenny Craig Success Stories: Real Before & After Pictures
- Rapid Results Pros & Cons
- Why We Love Jenny Craig Rapid Results
- Jenny Craig Cost: How Much per Month?
- The Food
- Final Thoughts
- Jenny Craig
- Jenny Craig
- 15 Surprising Things You Never Knew About Jenny Craig
- Costs of Membership:
- Jenny Craig Cost: Per Day, Week, Month
- More About the Cost of Food:
- Add Grocery store food costs:
- My Thoughts on the Cost:
- In Summary
- Free 3 Month Membership and $120 Food Discounts
- The Terms
- What can I eat on the Jenny Craig program?
- How much does the Jenny Craig program cost?
- Is Jenny Craig healthy?
The Extremely High Cost Of Jenny Craig
At a cost of between $525 and $705 per month for food, Jenny Craig is an extremely expensive way to lose weight. That dollar amount translates into $17 to $23 per day. Multiply those monthly numbers by twelve and you get the whopping yearly expense of $6,300 to $8,460.
Most likely the biggest draw for using Jenny Craig is that the food is already pre-measured with calories calculated.
Now some of you may indeed need this type of structure in order to stay focused on your weight loss goals, but if you have the willpower to lose weight yourself, there are so many better options.
Much Better Options To Lose Weight
The mathematical formula for losing weight and keeping it off is really quite simple. Simply burn more calories than you eat each and every day and you will lose weight.
Then once you have reached your weight loss goal, you maintain your new weight by simply burning the same number of calories that you eat every day.
Unlike some structured diet plans, there are no restricted foods in this weight loss plan. So as long as you burn more calories than you eat, you will lose weight.
To Do List For Maximum Weight Loss
This is listed first because it is actually the most important factor in losing weight and then afterward maintaining a healthy weight.
Sleep has an enormous effect on your body’s metabolism and if you are short on sleep your metabolism slows down to a crawl.
A higher metabolism will keep your body at a consistently high rate of fat burn all day and all night long.
If you are not getting eight hours of peaceful, restful sleep every night, consider improving your sleep with the most comfortable pillow you have ever owned: The Martex Brentwood Gold Label Hotel Pillow.
2. Track Your Calories With A Fitness Tracker
Purchase a fitness tracker or smartwatch like my personal favorite, the Fitbit Versa 2 Smartwatch, and start monitoring your daily activity. You will most likely be pleased and surprised at how many calories you already burn on a daily basis. Be sure to wear your fitness tracker both day and night to collect the complete days worth of activities and total calorie burn data.
3. Eat Extra Protein
Protein builds muscle and muscle burns fat, so add extra low-fat protein to your daily diet and enjoy quicker weight loss success.
Consider such low fat and low-calorie protein sources as Squarebar Organic Protein Bars. With 12 grams of protein per bar and only 210 calories, they definitely make an excellent choice for a snack or partial meal.
Squarebar organic, non-GMO protein bars are available in many delicious flavors including Chocolate Coated Cherry Coconut, Chocolate Coated Coconut, Chocolate Coated Almond Spice, Chocolate Coated Mint, Chocolate Coated Crunch, and Chocolate Coated Peanut Butter.
4. Do Some Easy Exercise (The Easiest Exercise) To Burn Extra Calories
The absolute easiest exercise is cycling on a stationary bike. Unlike running or even walking that can be hard on the knees, cycling is an absolutely gentle and smooth, consistent motion.
Even though running has the highest calorie burn rate per minute of exercise, cycling comes in at a close second with a much easier workout and little to no stress on the joints.
Place the exercise bike near the television set and cycle while watching your favorite tv show or movie. Or crank up the stereo and cycle to your favorite music. Before you know it, you will have burned 100-200 calories.
Look for an exercise bike that includes a Fatburn setting. This preprogrammed cycling workout will get you the best results in the shortest amount of time.
Take a serious look at my personal favorite exercise bike, the Sole B94 Upright Bike. This high-quality bike has helped me lose weight and keep it off and I know it can do the same for you too.
Easiest Weight Loss Program With Maximum Success
This is by far the easiest way to lose weight with the maximum potential for long-term success. And isn’t that what we all want anyway?
Lose the weight once and for all and say goodbye to yo-yo dieting forever.
(Visited 938 times, 1 visits today)
Jenny Craig Cost: Price by Day, Week & Month
Last Updated on December 23, 2019
Looking for all of the pricing details for the Jenny Craig diet plan?
We’re going to tell you how much their new Rapid Results program costs, including ways that you can lock in additional savings.
Jenny Craig is one of the most comprehensive diet delivery and coaching programs available, and it can actually be one of the more affordable options too …if you know the best way to secure their latest deals.
Keep reading to find the most up-to-date Jenny Craig cost details, plus see their latest discounts and savings.
How Much Does Jenny Craig Cost in 2020?
Table of Contents
Jenny Craig food starts at $23.29 per day. There is also a monthly membership fee, which gets you access to your Jenny Craig consultant, and typically starts around $19 per month.
At last check, this monthly membership fee was waived for the first 12 weeks of the program, so you just had to pay for your food.
They were even throwing in 15 free meals…
Check latest Jenny Craig costs deals here
Beyond that, the cost of Jenny Craig is going to vary, depending on the plan and options you choose. There are some budget friendly options for those looking to save, and they have premiere plans that work great for people with a bit more money to spend.
Here’s a look at their latest plans, as well as their pricing info in more detail:
Online/Phone + Delivery Plans & Pricing Details
With this option, you’ll connect with your Jenny Craig Coach online via massager or chat, and by phone. That means you can take to them any time and from anywhere. On vacation in Cancun? No worries – you can still connect with your coach.
There a four different options for their Online + Delivery Plan, and the food costs the same for all of them:
Online Plan Menu Options
- Low Sugar (For Type 2 Diabetics)
Agan, the cost of food is the same for all of these plans: About $23.29 per day at last check.
What’s Included with the Online Plan
- 1:1 Coaching with Your Jenny Craig Consultant (Weekly)
- Text Your Coach as Often as Needed
- Concierge Team Available to Help with Your Food Orders
- Access to All Jenny Craig Tools: App, Online Website, more
- Free Shipping with Auto Delivery
How to Save More Money On the Online Plan
If you want to bring your costs down a bit, you can save by committing to more food at a time. Currently, the Jenny Craig foods ship out in one and two-week selections.
By buying your food in 2-week shipments, you can save up to an extra $48. Most customers who sign up for Jenny Craig are going to be on the diet for a month or more, so committing to two week selections seems like a no-brainer if you’re going to be following the diet for a while.
- 1-Week Selection of Food: Save up to $39
- 2-Week Selection of Food: Save up to $48
Local Center + Pick Up Plan
- Cost of Food: About $23 per Day
- No shipping costs, as you’re picking up your food
To get pricing details for the Local Center plan, you’ll want to book an appointment with a Jenny Craig center in your area. You can look up the closest center to you on their website.
Same as the Online plan: Men’s, Women’s, Low Sugar, and Meatless.
What’s Included with Local Center Plan
- Private, In Person Coaching: Weekly sessions with your Jenny Craig Consultant
- Weekly private weigh-ins and measurements to keep you track to reach your goal weight
- Immediate pick up options from the premium menu
- Text your coach any time for questions, guidance, feedback
- Access to All Jenny Craig Tools: App, Online Website, more
Food Prices by Day, Week, Month
- Day: $23.29
- Week: $163
- Month: $652
*These prices are dependent on auto-delivery enrollment.
While the enrollment and membership fee are currently being waived, after your 12-week trial period ends, expect to pay about an additional $20 per month for your Jenny Craig membership fee.
- $2-$10 per day
When it comes to grocery shopping while on the Jenny Craig diet, most of your costs will be spent on fruit and vegetables that you’ll be eating with your Jenny Craig meals.
These costs will be entirely dependent on how much you want to spend.
You can keep these costs at a minimum, or you can go all out and load up on organic produce.
How much you want to spend will be up to you, but I would think you could get by on just a a couple of dollars per day if you’re trying to keep your costs down.
Why the Extra Costs for Veggies are Worth it
While Jenny Craig is going to provide you with most of your meals and snacks every day, there are some additional costs you’ll want to factor in for fresh produce.
You have the option of adding a salad, or other vegetables and fruits to your meals each day, and we recommend taking advantage of this!
Pairing your Jenny Craig pre-made meals with a fresh made salad, or some cucumber and carrot slices, is a great way to make the most of your meals.
It’s also an opportunity get additional fiber and nutrients added to your diet.
Jenny Craig is one of the more expensive diet delivery programs we’ve reviewed, but remember that you’re getting access to 1:1 coaching. If this is something that is important to you, then the higher price tag may be worth it.
You can see cheaper Jenny Craig alternatives here, if you’re looking to save a few bucks.
Jenny Craig is one of the most complete diet delivery programs available, and features one-to-one coaching. Because of this additional benefit, you can expect to pay a few more dollars per day for their service.
On average, their food costs about $23 per day.
There are usually some other fees too, including a sign-up fee, a monthly membership fee, and shippings costs.
At last check, these additional costs were currently being waived when you join, however:
Check latest Jenny Craig costs deals here
- Recent Posts
Megan Ayala is an author, blogger, and mother of two. Her mission is to share the most accurate and up-to-date information with her readers. When she’s not busy writing for PatriciaandCaryolyn.com she enjoys spending time with her family, usually doing something active and fun. Learn more about Megan on our Team Page.
Latest posts by Megan Ayala (see all)
- Best Nutrisystem Meals: Our Top 7 Picks – December 20, 2019
- 17 Best Protein Sources for Vegetarians & Vegans – October 28, 2019
- 14 Tips for Eating More Vegetables – October 28, 2019
Jenny Craig Reviews, Cost, Results
Are you looking for a diet that offers an easy-to-follow plan, provides you with pretty much all the food you need to lose weight every month, and connects you with a diet coach who is there to support you every step of the way?
It’s called Jenny Craig, and it’s one of the best and most effective weight loss programs on the planet.
The awesome folks at Jenny Craig have been helping folks reach their weight loss goals for decades now, and they just released their best program ever – it’s called Rapid Results.
In this Jenny Craig review, we’ll show you exactly how their new Rapid Results program works, how much their plans cost, the results people have achieved, and where you can lock in the very best deal.
If you’ve been searching for one of the very best diets in the world, then you’ll want to keep reading…
What is Jenny Craig Rapid Results?
Jenny Craig is a meal delivery diet plan, that also offers one-on-one coaching and even in-person meetings. Basically, it’s the most complete diet delivery program on the market.
How Does it Work?
When you sign up with Jenny Craig, here’s what you can expect:
- Eat 6 Times per Day – Every 2-3 Hours
- Work One-on-One with a Jenny Craig Consultant
- Attend In-Person Meetings (If You Have a Jenny Craig Center in Your Area)
- New Rapid Results Program Means Faster Weight Loss
- Get a Month’s Worth of Meals and Snacks Shipped to You Every Month
- Lose up to 16 LBS in First Month
Jenny Craig Success Stories: Real Before & After Pictures
Wondering if Jenny Craig actually works? The proof is in the before and after success stories shared by real Jenny Craig customers. Jenny Craig has probably helped millions of people lose weight over the years, so it’s safe to say that there program works for weight loss when it’s followed correctly.
As is the case with any diet plan, if you want to lose weight with Jenny Craig you’re going to have to work for it, but for those who do, the results can be pretty spectacular…
With my fast-paced lifestyle I needed a structured program like Rapid Results. All my meals are planned out for me. I’ve finally been able to lose all my weight! -Shiella, Lost 16 Pounds
I would say go for it 100%. The consultants are amazing. The food is delicious. The program is the best. I mean, what do you really have to lose? -Brittany, Lost 25 Pounds
The convenience factor is key. The quality of food is amazing. The support from your consultant is vital. I’ve lost 25 lbs on Jenny Craig and I couldn’t be happier. -Justin, Lost 25 Pounds
Rapid Results Pros & Cons
While we’d venture to say that we’re overwhelmingly “Pro” when it comes to Jenny Craig around here, there could be some potential cons for you to consider as well.
Here’s a quick look at both…
- Price: The Jenny Craig food costs about $20 per day on average, plus the membership fee. This can be a barrier for some folks.
- Meal Delivery Diets Aren’t For Everyone: Some people prefer to do their own cooking and meal prep, in which case you may want to consider another diet.
- Real Results Requires Real Commitment: This isn’t a fad diet. If you want to lose weight, you’ll have to work for it, and fully commit to the program.
- If you want to see how it stacks up agains the competition, checkout our Nutrisystem vs Jenny Craig Comparison for more insight.
- Dedicated Personal Consultant: Connect with your very own personal diet consultant every week for support and for help reaching your goals. This adds a ton of value to the price of Jenny Craig!
- Lose Weight Fast: More LBS Dropped with the New Rapid Results Plan
- Diet Food that Actually Tastes Good: You’ll Love their Chef-Inspired Meals and Snacks
- Dieting Made Easy: Finally a program that’s easy to follow and requires minimal grocery shopping!
- A Price You Can Afford
Why We Love Jenny Craig Rapid Results
There are a lot of reasons to love the new Jenny Craig Rapid Results program, but the single biggest reason that we recommend it, is that it WORKS!
It doesn’t get much better or straightforward than that.
Of course, there are other reasons to consider Jenny Craig Rapid Results, too, including:
- Full Support: Jenny Craig Consultants and Diet Experts are there to Guide You on Your Jouney
- Food That Actually Tastes Good: Ready to try Diet food that’s actually Edible? Meet, Jenny Craig.
- Lose Up to 16 LBS in Your First First 4 Weeks, Thanks to Rapid Results
- Convenience of Meal Delivery
- Affordable: So Much Value with Jenny Craig – Get Paid $100 to Lose Weight!
Are you ready to start your Jenny Craig Journey?
Jenny Craig Cost: How Much per Month?
The Jenny Craig food costs about $20 per day on average. You can also expect to pay a small monthly fee for membership, that pencils out to about $20 per month.
Costs will vary, depending on which plan you sign up for, and the menu you select each month.
You may be wondering what the Jenny Craig food menu is all about. Here are a few things to know about what you’ll be eating:
- Eat 6 Small Meals and Snacks per Day
- Premium Level Diet Food
- Designed by Chefs
- No Artificial Ingredients
- Menu Includes Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snacks, Desserts, Bars, and Shakes
- Awesome Variety
The Jenny Craig Menu is built around a foundation for wellness and what they call “complete nutrition.” That means, they have more than just your weight loss in mind.
The daily menu consists of:
- 2 to 3 Servings of Fruit
- 2 to 3 Servings of Dairy
- 6 to 7 Ounces of Protein
- 3+ Servings of Veggies
- Half of all your grains will be from whole grains
Here’s a small sampling of the types of meals they’ll provide:
- Chocolate Muffin
- Eggs & Vegetable Sunrise Scramble
- Egg, Cheese & Turkey Sausage Burrito
- Classic Waffles
- Cranberry Almond Cereal
Lunch & Dinner
- Chicken Burrito
- Cheese Ravioli
- Chicken Sandwich
- Chicken Street Tacos
- Chicken Ranch Melt
- Chicken Pot Pie
- Classic Chicken Carbonara
- Classic Salisbury Steak
In addition to their awesome breakfast, lunch, and dinner menu, they also have a great selection of snacks, including bars, shakes, and more!
Diabetes Type 2 Menu
If you have Type 2 Diabetes, or are pre-diabetic, Jenny Craig may be an option for you. Of course, you’ll want to check with your doctor to make sure you’re healthy enough for their diet program, but if you get the “all clear,” Jenny Craig has a menu that is made for people with type 2 diabetes.
In fact, their Type 2 Menu was found to help reduce hemoglobin A1c, while also supporting weight loss.
If you’re looking for one of the best meal delivery diets in the world, then you will want to put Jenny Craig at the top of your list. Through the perfect combination of meal delivery and counseling support, Jenny Craig has created a program that can help you reach your weight loss goals in a way that’s fast, safe, and healthy.
If you want to finally reach your weight loss goals, then it’s time to consider the power of the Jenny Craig Diet program!
Head HERE to Activate the Latest Jenny Craig Discounts
- Portion Controlled Meal Research
- More Jenny Craig Info
- Find More Diets That Work HERE
Get Serious About Losing Weight with Jenny Craig
Skip the fads and gimmicky diets and experience real results with Jenny Craig’s Special Offer for health plan members:
Free three-month program (plus the cost of food) + $120 in food savings (purchase required)*
Save 50 percent on our premium programs (food cost separate)**
Here’s how the program works:
Dedicated Personal Consultant: Jenny Craig includes a weight loss consultant to help you reach your goal. Together, you’ll create a customized weight loss plan that fits your needs and lifestyle.
Delicious Food: Enjoy around 100 chef-crafted Jenny Craig foods in flavors you’ll love. You get to eat six times a day so you’re always satisfied. Each meal and snack is conveniently prepared for you, no prep or cooking required.
Real Results: Lose more weight than dieting on your own.†
Call 877-Jenny70 to schedule an appointment for a FREE and no obligation consultation.
*Valid for 3-month trial membership. Weekly full menus avg. $158 (before discount) and any shipping costs are not included. Food cost subject to change. Discount to be used in $10 increments, weekly over 12 consecutive weeks. Full menu adherence required for food discount. Active program enrollment and eligibility status required, which includes meeting with a consultant weekly and adhering to the full Jenny Craig meal plan. Offer valid at participating centers and Jenny Craig Anywhere. Not valid at jennycraig.com. No cash value. Not valid with any other offers or discounts. One offer per person.
**50 percent discount on enrollment and/or membership fees for eligible premium programs. Weekly full menus average $158 (before any discount) and any shipping costs are not included. Food cost subject to change. Active program enrollment and eligibility status required, which includes meeting with a consultant weekly and adhering to the full Jenny Craig meal plan. No cash value. Not valid with any other offer or discounts. Only available at participating locations and Jenny Craig Anywhere. Not valid at jennycraig.com.
† JAMA. 2010 Oct 27;304(16):1803-10.
This is an added-value discount program. Its services and discounts are in addition to, but not included in, the services and benefits covered under your employer health plan. This page contains links to a third party site. That organization is solely responsible for the contents and privacy policies on its sites.
See more discounts!
15 Surprising Things You Never Knew About Jenny Craig
There are some things that are synonymous with weight loss—those terms, emotions and activities that on their own conjure up the image of someone taking control of their health and achieving the incredible. Since 1983, Jenny Craig has been one of those terms. Started in Melbourne, Australia, Jenny Craig has helped millions reach their goal weight and come to understand health and wellness in a more positive, sustainable light.
Such notoriety and name recognition, though, can come with its share of struggles. Perhaps you hear “Jenny Craig” and think diet food. Wrong. Jenny Craig has around 100 delicious entrees, desserts and snacks developed by nutritionists, and professional chefs. Perhaps you immediately think of Kirstie Alley or Jason Alexander. There’s more. So much more. Jenny Craig isn’t the company that debuted across the world in the 80s—today, it’s a multifaceted, more targeted and holistic approach to weight loss that may surprise you.
1. You’ll be on a first-name basis with a dedicated personal consultant. You’re not signing up to be an anonymous number destined to get lost in the mix and keep yourself accountable without help. At Jenny Craig, they will know your name, your goals and your lifestyle because you’ll have been matched with a dedicated personal consultant on the day you sign up for the program. Once a week, you’ll meet with your personal consultant to discuss your personal progress and activity levels and to talk through any motivational problems. The space allows for open communication and the chance for someone to walk alongside you throughout your journey. Rather than call in, most members opt to visit local centers for valuable facetime with their consultant. Think of them as your personal cheerleader rah-rahing you to victory.
2. You get to eat chocolate lava cake. Or a lemon cake or triple chocolate cheesecake, if you prefer. With mouth-watering, enticing desserts available, you’ll never feel like you’re missing out on the sweet side of life.
3. You’ll learn healthy living skills you can carry with you long after your chosen program ends. Food is the centerpiece of our lives in many ways—we organize social events around it, use it to comfort us on bad days and to celebrate achievements or keep us company when we’re alone. For many, this reliance has effectively shifted food from being fuel for our bodies to a treat to be indulged in large quantities and without thinking. On Jenny Craig, you’ll get educated on healthy eating, meal planning and moderation. With help from your consultant, you will work to identify your eating style and weight-loss mindset, setting goals to improve upon your approach to each. You’ll examine and reshape your eating habits slowly over time, which experts agree is the key to helping with weight loss.
4. Your plan goes beyond just the foods you put in your mouth. Weight loss is something that you’re doing, but it does not define who you are completely. Jenny Craig is committed to helping its members thrive in all aspects of life, which is why, in addition to nutrition check-ins and motivation, consultants also aim to offer members lifestyle tips to help them improve both their work-life balance and overall quality of life throughout their journey. Self-care breeds high self-esteem, which leads to a commitment to healthy living, so discovering ways to put yourself on the priority list is of the utmost importance.
5. You don’t have to give up whole food groups. No need to feel like any nutrient is off limits with Jenny Craig, which means you can finally stop pretending you hate carbs. Jenny Craig’s menus were developed with the guidelines of organizations such as the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the American Heart Association in mind so you’ll feel full, nourished and never deprived after every meal.
6. Your meal doesn’t have to begin and end with what’s being delivered to your door. While you’ll receive the meals you select with your consultant during your weekly meeting, you’re not destined to stare longingly at the pantry in between meals. Every meal plan builds in items you purchase at the grocery store as well, allowing you to embrace even more variety by adding in more fruits and vegetables week to week. To help you navigate the minefield that can be the grocery store, every Jenny Craig member can consult Jenny Craig’s easy-to-follow grocery list to stay on track and stock your kitchen with the foods that will fuel your mission.
7. Your coach might have been standing in your shoes just a few years ago. A testament to the brand’s powerful lifestyle transforming powers, many Jenny Craig members feel so inspired by their own successes that they become health coaches themselves. The road to weight loss is full of pot holes and smooth tarmac, so who better to guide you through your journey than someone who’s already navigated the rocky roads and knows where the best roadside attractions are located?
8. Your health insurance might be able to give you an assist. Depending on your healthcare plan, you may be able to apply your flexible spending account, health savings account or health reimbursement account to your monthly fees. All it takes is a call to your healthcare provider and a letter from your doctor to determine if you’re eligible.
9. You don’t have to say “goodbye” to your favorite dish. Jenny Craig knows what you want, what you really, really want, so they’re constantly developing and introducing new and perfectly portioned versions of favorite foods. With about 100 entrees, desserts and snacks from which to choose—each developed by a team of 40 professional chefs—you’ll never feel bored by your menu options. For the adventurous eater, their “global flavor” offerings will allow you to introduce your pallet to foods you might not have otherwise tried. You may even discover your new favorite dish along the way.
10. You can say “goodbye” to calorie counting. Ten here, 205 there—calorie counting can be tedious, but knowing what you’re putting in your body is so important in the journey to weight loss. Jenny Craig understands that the struggle is real, so they did the work for you. Nutritionists develop each meal with dietary guidelines in mind, so you fuel your body with the right nutrients, every time.
11. Teens can combat childhood obesity and take control of their future health, too. According to the Centers for Disease Control, one in five children between the ages of six and 19 are obese. With Jenny Craig, teens 14 and up can enroll on their own or along with a parent, offering a unique opportunity to educate and improve together as a family. Through the program, teens will receive the same offerings as the adult program through the lens of the teen eye. Objectives of the program include decreasing screen time in favor of physical activity, learning how to cope with the stress of friends or tests, embracing new foods, developing a positive body image and even navigating a fast food menu to find healthy options.
12. You get to eat. Six times a day, in fact. While some plans leave you feeling hungry in between meals (or sometimes five minutes after you’ve licked the plate clean), Jenny Craig’s plan won’t leave you wanting more. Think of foods you’ve always considered to be on the “bad” list—pastas, cupcakes, pancakes, on and on. Those foods are back on the menu, just in a healthier version with Jenny Craig’s carefully crafted items and perfect portion sizes.
13. People with diabetes can enjoy a special program that includes lower-carb menus. Diabetes can be a tricky disease to navigate, which is why Jenny Craig developed a program specifically to help those with Type 2 diabetes manage their weight. The lower-carb menus take the guesswork out of eating while still offering clients the nutrients they need to lose weight and stay in control of their glucose levels. Plus, an independent study found that a whoping 72 percent of Jenny Craig participants were able to reduce or eliminate their use of insulin.1
14. You’ll never be far from inspiration. Dieting can feel lonely at times, which is why a support system is so important. In addition to your personal consultant, members are also encouraged to seek out and invite encouragement from their family, friends or peers. Learning to welcome others into your weight-loss journey is key to its success. Members can also find motivation, encouragement and even a place to gripe with their peers within Jenny Craig’s message boards. Not enough? Flip over the box of your meal and you may just find a “Simple Inspiration,” which details fresh and fun ways to remix your Jenny Craig meals.
15. You don’t have to be on Jenny Craig’s program forever. The company preaches the importance of self-monitoring to help you recognize your successes and keep track of your progress long after the program ends. Free recipes available on their website are searchable by various categories and take some of the guesswork out of meal prep and planning. Like a momma bird pushing its baby out of the nest, you’ll feel supported but confident that your wings will work once you hit the open air.
1 Rock CL, Flatt SW, Pakiz B, Taylor KS, Leone AF, Brelje K, Heath DD, Quintana EL, Sherwood NE. Weight loss, glycemic control and cardiovascular disease risk factors in response to differential diet composition in a weight loss program in type 2 diabetes: a randomized controlled trial. Diabetes Care, published online April 23, 2014.
How much does it cost to join Jenny Craig? One of the most popular and highest-rated commercial meal delivery diets, ranked behind only Weight Watchers, (by U.S. News) but does it work for your budget?
Unlike other leading meal-delivery programs, Jenny Craig is not a “one-size fits all” approach to weight loss, so the cost isn’t the same for everyone. This means that their pricing can be a little confusing, and requires a bit of homework to estimate how much it will cost you personally.
After you sign up, a personal consultant will work directly with you to determine your dietary needs, and because almost all of the cost of being on Jenny Craig is in the price of the food, there is a range of what the diet will actually cost you. For this reason I contacted Jenny Craig directly to for more cost info so that the potential price tag is clearer.
Let’s look at the total daily and monthly expense of Jenny Craig, and see if it really makes “dollars and sense” to join.
Costs of Membership:
There are two ways to join Jenny Craig: either through their “Premium 12-Month Program” or their “Trial 12-Week Program.”
To calculate the price of Jenny Craig, let’s look at all of the expenses first before we break it down by daily, weekly, and monthly average:
1.) Premium 12-Month Program Cost:
The premium program offers unlimited personal support. When you join their Premium program, you’ll pay an initial $68 + the cost of food… more
2.) Trial 12-Week Program:
Personally, I think the current promotion for the Trial 12-Week Program looks like the best way to get started:
Cost of groceries: Also note that with both programs you will be expected to supplement their prepared meals with fruits and vegetables from the grocery store. Although it’s not fair to include that in the price tag, you should account for this spending for your “all-in” cost estimates.
Jenny Craig Cost: Per Day, Week, Month
Ok, now let’s put all of those expenses together. Because there is a range of what food costs based on your caloric needs and menu preferences, we’ll go with the average food cost reported by Jenny Craig.
Here is the average cost of the Jenny Craig program:
- They also offer a “12-week trial,” and the daily and weekly cost averages are the same
- The one-time $49 enrollment fee that you pay at signup is refunded to you once you reach your goal weight
- The advertised “$100 off food“ promotion is split over each of your first 10 weeks
- Jenny Craig: Today’s Best Deal
More About the Cost of Food:
Upon joining jenny Craig, a phone appointment will be set up with a personal consultant who will determine your menu based on factors like your starting weight, lifestyle, and desired weight loss. Your resulting caloric needs and food preferences will help determine your menu, and the resulting cost of food. For this reason men pay slightly more for food on average as they may require more calories.
Although the cost of food is listed as “$17-25 per day,” it might be helpful to use the “$20 per day” average for calculating potential daily food cost. Your initial phone call with the personal consultant is a great time to discuss your budget if you would like food costs to stay within your budget.
*Related: Our review of Jenny Craig: Does It Work?
Add Grocery store food costs:
While Jenny Craig does replace most of the food you would normally buy at the grocery store, you still have to account for some additional spending.
I would assume a minimal cost of $5 per day for fruits and vegetables from the grocery store to supplement your prepared Jenny Craig meals. Popular weekly fresh food choices include bagged salads, fruit, (apples, grapes, blueberries, etc) and non-starchy side dish veggies. (broccoli, peppers, and zucchini, etc). Jenny Craig emphasizes the importance of fruits and vegetables, so this is an unavoidable but important additional expense.
Also, Jenny Craig doesn’t encourage eating out at restaurants, so we won’t factor that in as an expense. If you do go out to eat, they suggest that you order a garden salad and stay away from alcohol.
My Thoughts on the Cost:
As mentioned, Jenny Craig doesn’t offer plans with a set price for food, but that’s where most of the expense lies. It should be noted that Americans spend $160+ per week on food, (men spend more!) which is almost exactly the price of Jenny Craig. (plus the price of fruit & vegetables)
That is still relatively high for a meal delivery diet, and much more expensive than competitors like Nutrisystem, (review, cost, coupons) but why?
It looks like the role of the personal consultant (who you touch base with by phone, chat, or in-person at a Jenny Craig location at least once a week) is a big factor in why the diet is more expensive. Jenny Craig believes that the role of the personal consultant is very important to the success of their program, and because of this added value, it’s worth the additional expense.
*Related: How Much Does the Noom App Cost?
Even DIY diets like Weight Watchers (reviews, cost, coupons) recognize the importance of individual attention, which is why they report that customers who attend meetings are twice as likely to meet and sustain their goal weight as those who go it alone.
Even though most people would be surprised to see what they are already spending each month on food, there’s no denying that Jenny Craig is a relatively expensive diet.
Fans of the Jenny Craig would argue that the personal attention is worth the extra cost, but would you?
Most customers are happy with the diet, but the hefty price tag is the source of most online complaints. (Also know that if you cancel their program before the second food shipment, you’ll be charged a $99 cancellation fee!)
If you really like the idea of meal delivery but want a cheaper alternative, consider Nutrisystem or South Beach Diet. If you like the idea of personal support and prefer to cook your own meals, then consider WW + meetings.
*New: Jenny Craig vs Nutrisystem and Jenny Craig vs Weight Watchers
Thanks for reading our info and thoughts on the cost of Jenny Craig! If you have opinions on the fees and expenses, please leave us a comment below:
Related: How much does Home Chef really cost?
Sharing is caring!
Free 3 Month Membership and $120 Food Discounts
- *Valid for 3-month trial membership. Weekly full menus avg. $156 (before discount) and any shipping costs are not included. Food cost subject to change. Discount to be used in $10 increments, weekly over 12 consecutive weeks. Full menu adherence required for food discount. Active program enrollment and eligibility status required, which includes meeting with a consultant weekly and adhering to the full Jenny Craig meal plan. Offer valid at participating centers and Jenny Craig Anywhere. Not valid at jennycraig.com. No cash value. Not valid with any other offers or discounts. One offer per person.
- **50% discount on enrollment and/or membership fees for eligible premium programs. Weekly full menus avg. $156 (before any discount) and any shipping costs are not included. Food cost subject to change. Active program enrollment and eligibility status required, which includes meeting with a consultant weekly and adhering to the full Jenny Craig meal plan. No cash value. Not valid with any other offer or discounts. Only available at participating locations and Jenny Craig Anywhere. Not valid at jennycraig.com.
- ***JAMA. 2010 Oct 27;304(16): 1803-10
- Jenny Craig is a registered trademark of Jenny Craig.
- This offer is only available on the Blue365 website.
They do have a vegetarian menu, however, are not able to tailor for vegans or severely lactose intolerant clients. Currently there is no gluten free menu, nor can other allergies be catered to.
For halal clients, you can avoid pork products but other meats are not halal. The vegetarian menu may work for you, however, often do contain ingredients that may be animal-derived and therefore not halal. There are currently no Kosher certified options.
It’s best to talk to a Jenny Craig consultant to find out whether your particular needs can be met by the current Jenny Craig menu.
What can I eat on the Jenny Craig program?
No foods are completely off-limits. Part of the Jenny Craig approach is helping you learn to consume everything in moderation for a long-term balanced diet. This is far more realistic than many other programs that temporarily ban you from some foods and leave you with cravings you can’t satiate.
When you first start, you’ll have three Jenny Craig meals and one Jenny Craig snack each day, plus as many non-starchy vegetables as you’d like. You can (and should) supplement with fresh fruit, vegetables, reduced fat dairy products, whole grains, lean meats or alternatives, and healthy fats.
By the halfway point, you’ll start introducing your own cooking into your diet. This gradual shift helps you transition more smoothly and better develop long-term sustainable habits.
How much does the Jenny Craig program cost?
The program can be expensive, but you get a lot for what you pay for. There are two types of costs with Jenny Craig. Membership provides access to the program’s support services, but you also need to buy Jenny Craig food according to your personalised menu.
According to the Jenny Craig website, the average cost of food is around $21 a day – that’s over $140 for just one person every week! While that’s a lot, you do get the benefits of someone else planning and preparing the meals for you.
Below are the current membership fees. Contact Jenny Craig for a consultation to find out more about food prices.
|Starter Program||12 weeks||● One-on-one weekly consultation
● Personalised menu & activity plan
|Signature Program||12 months||● Unlimited consultations
● Personalised menu & activity plan
● Newsletters, recipe books & other info
|Signature Plus Program||5 years||● Unlimited consultations
● Personalised menu & activity plan
● Newsletters, recipe books & other info
● Learn long term weight management
Source: Jenny Craig website
There are also special discounts for family purchases, seniors, friend referrals, and Teachers Health Fund members. Some other health funds also offer rebates.
Is Jenny Craig healthy?
Jenny Craig is a good, generalist program that suits the majority of people’s health needs in a positive and supportive way – if you make the effort to follow it properly. You will need to supplement the Jenny Craig meals with fresh fruit and vegetables. Don’t be deceived – it is processed food – which means it probably won’t be as nutritionally complete as fresh whole foods. While it might not be the healthiest way to change your diet, it can be easier for some people than going out and making healthier choices without guidance.
The Jenny Craig program differs from other programs in that it prioritises gradual weight loss, which is a sustainable and healthy way to lose weight. Other programs may help you lose weight faster, but you may not be able to make and keep the habits necessary to keep it off. Jenny Craig is all about changing habits.
It is important to note that the Jenny Craig weight loss consultants and counsellors are not necessarily registered dieticians. Specific nutrition and medical nutrition advice are best sought from a suitably qualified medical professional.
Should I use Jenny Craig?
Jenny Craig can be a useful tool for people who are struggling to make lasting lifestyle changes on their own. The food probably isn’t as healthy as freshly prepared whole food meals you could make at home, but it’s arguably better than other programs on the market and can be a useful starting point. The support program is quite realistic and doesn’t make outrageous health claims or push you to lose too much weight too quickly.
If you’ve tried changing your diet and lifestyle yourself but just can’t make it stick, Jenny Craig may be a useful way to get the support you need to meet your weight loss goals.
Weight Loss Shakes Reviewed